Sonora Island / Dent Island Fishery

BigHog

A few buddies heading up there end of the week for 5 days of fishing in the Dent, Sonora Island area. Any reports that I can pass along to them? I know in the past the end of July had been quite good for Springs to 25 pounds.

I'm taking my boat to Shoal Bay next Friday. Hope to hear how it is going in that area too.

My buddy was up there last week for a few days said it was great fishing. Lots of fish also nailed some nice ling. He doesn't know what but he hooked something in front of Sonora lodge on slack and it spooled him. He also went to Toba and said the fishing was great so if it's slow around Stuart head for Toba.

Nice. Thanks guys...hoping to search out and find some lings and prawns...but now I'm starting to think spring salmon again lol..will see how things go. Thanks again..let yous know Monday

Back after a quick trip to Little Dent..fished Denham bay Saturday afternoon for a bit with a few other boats (Sonora Lodge boats) didnt see any action and nothing for us..then headed over to Hall Pt for couple hrs again nothing and saw no fish caught with the few others there..
Took the girlfriends boy out to do some bottom fishing this am ..
But first i wanted to hit Denham for a couple passes ..again no action so over to Hall Pt where the young fellow lost a huge ling last time up...one other boat there playing a fish while we pull up...so i says "a couple passes with the down riggers?"..down go our lines..fish on..he plays and boats a silver bright 11lb coho..then the zingers come out.. we find 2 nice lings after hooking and releasing a number of smaller ones ..back to Dent for a big brunch and clean some fish..all and all a fun quick trip with great company..hope to get back up there weather permitting for thanksgiving weekend and maybe some chum fishing

P.s. left the prawn traps on the dock..was a little bit lazy lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm heading up the Denham Bay Resort for a few days third week of July and have never fished there. I have heard Denham Bay and across the road to Hall are good places. Any idea how the fishing will be then? Not looking for big fish just some action and relax time. I'll check the regs but it would nice to try for some Ling as well.

I've looked all over this area but reports are hard to come by.......

Follow the guide boats they know where the fish are. I would try fishing in Bute Inlet might not get any fish but it's relaxing in there. As for ling wait for the slack tide and find some nice holes in the rapids off Dent or just in Bute. One of my favourite places to relax but never catch fish it seems.

any reports from this area? looking to head up from campbell river in the next few days, trying to decide if it is better just to stay at the green can/hump, or go for a run.....
thanks

I heard a couple days ago that things were a bit slower... Hopefully someone can give you a more up to date report.

I wasn't fishing but was running by the hump all week in a crew boat, and saw nets out every day. This afternoon & yesterday afternoon I saw boats pull in fish in front of the Quadra lighthouse. The guys were taking photos so I'm guessing they were decent fish. We were running out to Bute everyday and did a couple passes by Sonora too. There were only a few boats out there and I didn't see any nets out. I'd keep it simple and fish the hump. Less running, more fishing. Either way though it'll be a beauty day on the water. Good luck! SS.

Was up over the weekend. Released 2-10lb wild coho, Kept 3-springs. Lots of pinks around too. Fishing was not lights out, but if you put in your time you will be rewarded. I never ventured any further than Hull and Denham but fish were coming in from Thurston as well.

Back