Solunar theory

Foxsea

Being dialed in to fish behaviour and responses helps us be more successful fishing. Many of us feel that scent is an important factor in improving our probability of success. We will often time our fishing to be in the right places when coming off of a low slack tide. But what about using other factors like moon phases, weather and barometric pressures? Does anyone find that using solunar tables like "tides4fishing" helps them be more successful on the water?

Being dialed in to fish behaviour and responses helps us be more successful fishing. Many of us feel that scent is an important factor in improving our probability of success. We will often time our fishing to be in the right places when coming off of a low slack tide. But what about using other factors like moon phases, weather and barometric pressures? Does anyone find that using solunar tables like "tides4fishing" helps them be more successful on the water?
With a small sample size I have noticed that "action" does seems to coincide with the fishy time indicated on tides4fishing which i think overlays the moon phase. Slacks seem to be a better indicator still for me.

Last edited:
Moon phase has a more noticeable effect in freshwater than the salt, has been my experience.

I fished with an older guy on the salt that was a fresh water trout aficionado. He could almost time to the minute that the fish would start to get active when I fished with him. It was uncanny. You were almost wasting your time if he said so. And when he said they were going to start to bite he was always right. He swore by the fish tables. We were fishing in a bay casting buzz bombs, etc usually. and it would be dead quiet. All of a sudden it would explode with action, usually shortly after he said to start getting serious, the fish will be coming soon... tide had a bit to do with it, but he used the fish tables religiously.

Many years ago I visited with Rex Field the inventor of buzz bombs. He believed that the phases of the moon were an important factor in fishing and fished according to them.

I've never really fished according to a solunar table. I've found the early morning bite and the slacks to be a better indicator.

Trout fishing I have found to be more accurate as far as Solunar predictions go, watch what the cows are doing on the way...
Tides are a more accurate predictor of salmon feeding....

Thanks for the feedback.
Like others, I have noticed some correlation between the solunar forecasts and good fishing. My favorite time is early morning and after that coming off a low slack tide. When those coincide with the forecasts, the fishing is not to be missed.

I might be wayyy off here, but think sometimes less fish are being caught during full or new moons because the tide fluctuations are larger and the current is stronger. More fish are being caught in between moon phases because it makes for easier trolling and everyone's gear is running a little better.
You get guys saying that fishing is slow because its a full moon and the fish were able to feed overnight but maybe it was because you had a 2-3 knot current and it messed with your tack all day. I think strong tides can make for better fishing at the changes and current slacks but overall are less productive.

I focus on the tides are doing rather than solunar cycle mainly because i only get so many days on the water. I have noticed when a stronger tide is flooding more bait is moving around and I seem to do better. I fish what i'm given each day whether rain or shine or a full moon.

I always check the T4F charts before I go out. I don't read them as gospel, but I have definitely noticed a relationship between the charts and when the bite turns on. Whether or not the bite has to do with actual solunar activity or the fact the "high activity" rating happens to be during a good tide window is pretty hard to prove... but I proudly wear my tin foil hat and check the tables during my pre-trip information gathering sessions and make sure I'm fishing where I want to be for "prime time".

Back