Solo, how do you fight your fish?

Steer the boat to try and get the fish to run in the direction you want it to go which keeps it away from the closest boats. (fish usually run in the opposite direction from the direction it is being pulled from) If you want the fish to run towards shore, steer away from shore and vice versa. Get the drag set properly and put the rod back in the holder, boat still in gear but slowed down a bit from normal trolling speed. Get the other gear aboard and put away quickly. Once clear grab the rod, boat out of gear and play fish.

Watched a season pro do it last year at duval in port hardy, Turn his boat out of the pack, get his gear up and net the fish, All while having a cigarette.

My downfall is my massive net. I need to chop down the handle a bit but other than that I really dig fishing alone. I lost more fish with guests than without by a good margin. We something sniffs I just keep the throttle going and tow it around once I know that a fish that's coming home with me. I wait until he shows his belly and bam I net him in the prop wash so he can't see what's coming. Springs always seem to run 3 times on me so by the 3rd I have a pretty good idea what's going to happen. As the boat is moving I let the otherside continue to fish. I got close to managing through a double header solo this year but for me that's next level best left to others.

Last edited:
Go CC if your fishing solo, just way easier in so many ways, here's a video of roughly how i land fishing solo
... do it this way every time, whatever it takes gear in and out to keep the fish to the starboard or port side..
sometimes i'm gunning it to stay ahead of the fish, soon as he lays on it's side it's ready, head first...

Heard a strange comment at the 38 second mark..

short leaders, short leaders, short leaders. my hootchie leaders are 32-34 max, bait 5'. leave the non fish side in the water. slowly turn the boat towards the fish, slow the boat down slowly, play fish til ready, pop kicker in neutral, net from back corner with rod raised high and net resting at back corner ready to go. shoot the net under fish with one hand, put rod down, scoop and close net, rip slack off the reel. pause then celebrate. I did over 40 solo chinook this season. most around 20lbs. coho I just play them out a bit and lift them in the boat. 40 lb test on bait and spoons, 50-60lb for rubber.

Leave the boat in gear, but slowed down to about 1.0 or 1.5 knots. Steer away from other anglers if possible. I leave my other side fishing and "steer" my fish where it needs to be. I always play the fish right out until it becomes tired, this makes it way easier to net. I find that as soon as you stop paying attention to the fish that's on your line, your chances of losing that fish increase. So, if you set the hook and then stick the rod into the holder while you pull your other gear, get the net, etc - that fish is way more likely to shake the hook. By manoeuvring my boat and pointing my rod where i want the fish to go I can usually get the fish into the net on my own.... granted not always. Nbd. As far as the netting portion goes, leader length doesn't matter at all for me. I get that fish on the surface (once tired out) and I point my rod tip upwards and behind my head, not straight up though. The trick here is to drag that fish into your net with the rod arm, while thrusting the net out into the water with your other arm. This takes some practice. One other point that I will add here is the importance of keeping the other gear fishing! How else are you gonna get a double header when the gear is out of the water!!! Haha, and that's a whole other level of exciting chaos. Anyways, this is only what works for me. Have fun finding what works for you! Tight lines!
Pastafarian

Back