Soft Topper Canopies

Steelhead S2

Anyone have any experience or opinions on soft topper canopies? I hadn't seen one before, but a fellow fisherman had one on the river and it has me intrigued. I was in a hurry to hit the water so I didn't ask about it. But a little bit of googling tells me they are well made and about half the price of a hard top. I have an aluminum Toneau cover right now and it doesn't quite do it for me. It takes up a lot of space and you can't fit much underneath it, so a canopy is appealing.

Only shortcoming I can see in these soft tops is that I can't lock them.

Here's a link to the website: http://www.softopper.com/

Only shortcoming I can see in these soft tops is that I can't lock them.

True, but even hard top canopies are easy to get into. One of the reasons why I am reluctant to sell my old 91 Ford is because it has everything I need - 8 foot long box, matching and insulated canopy, exteneded cab, 4x4. To get all this in a new truck.......welll, need I go on?

Not sure is aluminum frames will stand up. I know that when I purchase my boat with a soft top, I had a choice between aluminum and stainless canopy rails... I went with the steel and never regretted it even after one of my gorilla fishing partners swung on it accidently when travelling in rough water. I know aluminum would have buckled.

I made a soft top years ago for my toyota and it was easy and cheap. I got a pipe bender some 1/2" pipe and angle iron to make up the frame, then some quality canvas. I had a canvas guy sew it up w/snaps to attach it to the frame put a zip up back w/clear plastic in the front so I could see into the box from the cab and let a bit of light in. I painted the canvas with rubberized paint and it all worked out pretty good and lasted for quite a few years. If I was to do it again I would go with a heavy grade of colored canvas, camo would look pretty cool. Another option for toneau covers are jack rabbit roll ups for easy acces to the box. Good luck

Back