Sockeye to reach Okanagan Lake after over 50 years absence

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fishing Forum' started by Sir Reel, Oct 12, 2019 at 7:48 AM.

1. Sir Reel

Sir Reel Well-Known Member

2. donnie d

donnie d Active Member

3. wildmanyeah

wildmanyeah Crew Member

donnie d and Dogbreath like this.
  4. Dogbreath

Dogbreath Well-Known Member

Well they'd have to swim through downtown Vernon but after coming all the way from the Pacific Ocean that probably wouldn't stop them.

5. kingblazer84

kingblazer84 Well-Known Member

They are only allowing 100 fish through this year and tagging them , but it’s a start! I sure hope it adds up to a great fishery one day, then maybe springs again

donnie d and Oly1 like this.
  6. Oly1

Oly1 Active Member

Love to see some springs come back to the Okanagan. I grew up there and had a few native friends that used to fish the river. They said that they used to get a few springs in the 80’s and 90’s but don’t know of many now.

Now that the dam on the Similkameen is gone would like to see if any salmon are making their way up that way as well.

Oly

islandboy likes this.
  7. donnie d

donnie d Active Member

couple of needle barriers passing Polson Park...

8. big rock

big rock Active Member

Why only 100?

9. kingblazer84

kingblazer84 Well-Known Member

I guess the FN want to track them and see how well they do before they let more through... ‍♂️ Don’t understand why so little either

10. Capt_Ed

Capt_Ed Crew Member

Still lots of Sox in the Okanagan river at Oliver , I can count over a hundred in one spot every day for the last week and their still heading up stream

Calmwaters, Oly1 and kingblazer84 like this.