Sockeye salmon runs looking up on the Fraser River

Sushihunter

http://www.vancouversun.com/Sockeye+salmon+runs+looking+Fraser+River+this+summer/1725650/story.html

Sockeye salmon runs looking up on the Fraser River this summer

By Larry Pynn, Vancouver Sun - June 23, 2009

After two low years of salmon runs, the federal fisheries department is predicting improved sockeye returns to the Fraser River this summer.

All sectors — commercial, sport and aboriginal — are expected to participate in the fishery, based on a projected return of between six and 10.6 million sockeye, the wide difference explained by the unknown impact of ocean survival, said Jeff Grout, federal salmon resource manager.

The projected returns are still below the average for this four-year cycle of 13.2 million sockeye.

Grout said in an interview Tuesday that test fisheries are conducted on various stocks passing up the Fraser through August to better determine stock numbers and to set fishing openings.

The commercial seine fleet normally fishes in the ocean, but has proposed a small-scale fishery in the Fraser as an option “to harvest their allocation if they missed it in some other marine areas,” Grout said.

Seiners will get 47.5 per cent of whatever the commercial sockeye allocation might be this year, coastal gillnetters 21.5 per cent, Fraser River gillnetters 25 per cent, and Johnstone Strait trollers six per cent.

Aboriginal groups have first right to the fish after conservation targets are met and have asked to limit harvesting of the early Stuart sockeye run to put more fish on the spawning grounds.

Fisheries can be complicated by the desire to protect weaker stocks that may be migrating upriver with larger healthier stocks. Grout said most of this year’s fishing would target stronger mid-summer runs headed for the Chilko Lake and Quesnel Lake systems.

lpynn@vancouversun.com

© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

Awesome, that means that us Vancouver Island First Nations are going to get a crack at them. First time we may get food fish in 2 years!!

Take only what you need.
3641877346_d9919f98d0.jpg

Just can't leave it alone eh ?
Snipe , dig and chuck s**t ; must be young and know everything !
Sometimes I wonder why I put on a uniform to allow such drivel to be said , and then again freedom of speech is the cornerstone of democracy but intolerance in the world causes all our problems so maybe I should thank you for being the poster boys for what I don't want my grandchildren to grow up like.

AL

I don't understand why F.A. needs to come on a Sportfishing site and start trouble. Why don't you start your own site like "Driftnet fishing B.C." or "Shopping Cart Fishing B.C."

I don't know guys, I think this is great news. It means that the population is not continuing to dwindle, and spawning escapement will be up. Of course there will be smaller runs in the future when the smolt of the last 2 years return, but hopefully ocean condiditons will allow more of these smolt to survive to adulthood and continue the increased spawning escapement

Well said LC. Now let's all cross our collective fingers and hope they show up for everyone's and the resource's benefit as sockeyefry says! Just remember, DFO has been wrong with forecasting in the past. Still can't forget about all those sockeye that went "missing" under Mission bridge.

quote:I don't understand why F.A. needs to come on a Sportfishing site and start trouble.

LMFAO start trouble? I simply related I was happy that I might get some foodfish for the first time in 3 years. We have been very resonable by not fishing the last two years, so why try to give me grief when I finnaly get a crack at them after letting millions go by. I do a good thing and I get **** on, If I was to have fished them I would have got **** on, you can't have it both ways so **** off already.

Take only what you need.

Aw come on guys... natives like FA are not the problem. Remember he DOES have a Consitutional right to food fish that trumps the recreational fishery. Dont like it?? Well get Trudeau's Consitution changed.. but my read is it aint gonna happen.

Instead, look at what is happening to the habitat-- gravel mining in the middle of the Fraser spawning and rearing areas. Did you see the tele news about the fish kill in Hyde Creek in Coquitlam? How about fish farms, the like of which have destroyed Scottish and Norwegian salmon stocks and are now working on BCs wild salmon. I could go on, but I think you get the point.
I apprecate FAs contribution to this board and it would be our loss if he stopped posting.
Thus endeth the lesson-- Pax Vobiscom

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

quote:Originally posted by Cuba Libre

Aw come on guys... natives like FA are not the problem. Remember he DOES have a Consitutional right to food fish that trumps the recreational fishery. Dont like it?? Well get Trudeau's Consitution changed.. but my read is it aint gonna happen.

Instead, look at what is happening to the habitat-- gravel mining in the middle of the Fraser spawning and rearing areas. Did you see the tele news about the fish kill in Hyde Creek in Coquitlam? How about fish farms, the like of which have destroyed Scottish and Norwegian salmon stocks and are now working on BCs wild salmon. I could go on, but I think you get the point.
I apprecate FAs contribution to this board and it would be our loss if he stopped posting.
Thus endeth the lesson-- Pax Vobiscom

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

One of the reasons I plan to go into politics right there...equality for all. It is good news though...heard of quite a few sockeye being caught up this way.

www.serengetifishingcharters.com

http://www.youtube.com/user/canucksfanatic44

quote:One of the reasons I plan to go into politics right there...equality for all.

So your running the new communist party of Canada?.. Cause last time I checked that's what there all about too. You basicly quoted The Communist Manifesto.

Take only what you need.

Back