Sockeye in Sproat

I was watching the cams this morning and quite a few sockeye running through the cams. I was counting on average 17 every five minutes. Yesterday was about 12 every five minutes.

This is only incidental observation, but I continue to have the cams running in the corner of my screen and I'm fairly certain that the size of fish coming through over the past few days is substantially more than I was seeing last week. Don't have the data to back it up but if so it is interesting to see the smaller fish running up before the big fish do.

We stopped by the Sproat River on Saturday. We were on the other side of the river from the fish counter. We saw lots of sockeye jumping up through the rapids. Was quite enjoyable to watch. But at the same time, there were FN's guys dip netting just down stream. I thought that area was closed to all fishing.

... But at the same time, there were FN's guys dip netting just down stream. I thought that area was closed to all fishing.

The Sproat has been open to FN dip-netting for the entire season.
First season for that activity.
Not many are involved, and those that do go through quite the learning curve.

All fishing has been curtailed in the Somas for now (out to Polly's Point) while limits remain at 2 per license beyond that.

Unless there is a dramatic improvement in numbers (quite doubtful) sockeye retention will CLOSE for all on July 15.

Nog

Back