Sockeye in port alberni

I think DFO will announce about the sockeye return to the inlet this year.... probably in next month. Maybe I am wrong..

You can check the fisheries notices, but they have announced a preliminary run estimate of 350,000 and already opened the season in the canal for 2 per day and unless future assessments change, the limit will increase to 4 on June 15th. Here is a copy of the notice.
The 2013 preseason forecast return is 350,000. The Department has been working
with the Area 23 Salmon Harvest Committee and the Port Alberni SFAC and has
agreed to a sockeye fishing plan which includes the following:

Effective 00:01 hours May 1, 2013 the daily quota for sockeye salmon will be as
follows:

- Area 23, Barkley Sound and Alberni Inlet, will be Two (2) sockeye per day
except for:

- That portion of 23-1 from a line commencing at the red flashing light at Lone
Tree Point due west to a boundary sign across the inlet on Vancouver Island
near a point located at 49 degrees 11.033 north, 124 degrees 49.560 west then
in a northerly direction to a line commencing at a boundary sign in upper
Alberni Harbour situated at 49 degrees 14.190 north latitude and 124 degrees
50.230 west longitude thence through the southern most point of Hoik Island
thence to the flashing green light at the mouth of the Somass River thence due
east to a boundary sign on the opposite shore, will be zero (0) sockeye per
day.

Effective 00:01 hours June 15, 2013 the daily quota for sockeye salmon will be
as follows:

- Area 23, Barkley Sound and Alberni Inlet, will be four (4) sockeye per day
except for:

- That portion of 23-1 from a line commencing at the red flashing light at Lone
Tree Point due west to a boundary sign across the inlet on Vancouver Island
near a point located at 49 degrees 11.033 north, 124 degrees 49.560 west to a
line commencing at a boundary sign in upper Alberni Harbour situated at 49
degrees 14.190 north latitude and 124 degrees 50.230 west longitude thence
through the southern most point of Hoik Island thence to the flashing green
light at the mouth of the Somass River thence due east to a boundary sign on
the opposite shore, will be zero (0) sockeye per day.

- That portion of 23-1 from the tidal boundary signs at Paper Mill Dam on the
Somass River downstream to a line commencing at a boundary sign in upper
Alberni Harbour situated at 49 degrees 14.190 north latitude and 124 degrees
50.230 west longitude thence through the southern most point of Hoik Island
thence to the flashing green light at the mouth of the Somass River thence due
east to a boundary sign on the opposite shore will be two (2) sockeye per day.

Please Note: that these limits are subject to change on short notice depending
on in season information.

The Somass Sockeye in-season stock assessment program will operate as in
previous years. This program collects escapement, test-fishing, catch and
environmental information on a weekly basis. This information is used to
prepare weekly in-season run-size reforecasts.

June is fast upon us and my sockeye gear is loaded in the boat waiting for the word. My buddy came back from Tofino a couple of days ago and said he seen several nets in the water when he came thru Port. There must be some sockeye passing thru if the nets are in.

3 years ago we were limiting out June 1st so I'm holding my breath waiting for the news the fish are holding up in the canal.

Any news from the China Creek area folks?

I'm pretty sure things are still fairly slow, I live in Port and there's no word around about socks other than the native fishery. Up until this week, I heard they were catching very little, don't know how they're doing this week (must be improving?). I'm sure there will be the odd sport boat out this weekend....maybe even myself but in summary, it's probably not worth trailering your boat from any distance yet.

I'm pretty sure things are still fairly slow, I live in Port and there's no word around about socks other than the native fishery. Up until this week, I heard they were catching very little, don't know how they're doing this week (must be improving?). I'm sure there will be the odd sport boat out this weekend....maybe even myself but in summary, it's probably not worth trailering your boat from any distance yet.

Where can you buy bulk ice in PA?

Thanks for the info. I'm on holidays next block so will be ready to head up to Port anytime in the next two weeks.

See you in the canal.

Took the boat into camp Friday, got out and everything set up on Saturday and then out at the crack of dawn on Sunday. Total of about 6 hrs fishing and not a bite. Sure seeing lots of fish on the sounder, anywhere from 120 to surface. Some clumps, but no big schools. Need a little more heat to get them to school.
Heard a vicious rumor on Sunday......apparently they are going to allow gill netters starting on the 15th. Virtually speechless when I heard that.

There's already Port Alberni natives selling fresh sockeye on Facebook

we tried for some sockeye Friday evening on our way out to Bamfield and didnt manage a bite. We did however see lots of jumpers all through the inlet. Also saw about 8 boats netting in the river and they were pulling a decent number in...

get rid of those nets

Why is it when even there is a low run the gill netters swoop down and move in...Would be nice to conserve a little those numbers are getting very thin year after year...DFO always does this. Fish the crap out of them and then wonder why there are no fish coming back....Then when you finally have some of the fish swim by that they are greeted by FN nets.... Totally ridiculous..... It is tough to see now alberni going down the collapse of chinooks, low returns of sockeye.... Just saying.... Tough to be a rec. fisherman there I feel for you guys. If any of you ever do an evening run in next few weeks I am up there on Wednesdays working. I will chip in for gas...I wouldn't mind going with someone who really knows the fishery (maybe shed some light on what is going on with fishery)...I know its a little different than how we fish in the JDF straight in the south..... But...usually we can't keep any so we try to avoid them.....

Don't really blame FN there doing what they should be able to do...But I really think it needs to be restricted for now to ceremonial...I do see there perspective they must be pissed that numbers so low as well... Too pad that canal used to be plugged with sockeye....Remember that photo someone took a while back showing the gill netter fleet on here...Well that friends I think is your problem. Way too many of them.

nothing has changed with dfo,,it never changes,,they send the commies out again to destroy the fishing industry,,the send long liners out to halibut fish,then they wonder where are all of the halibut gone,,they send gillneters out to rape the coast of salmon,then they wonder where have all the salmon gone,,they send 10 crab boats over from the mainland to rape our coast of crabs,then they wonder,,where have all the crab gone,i am sick and tired of it all,,we are fighting a lost battle,,
it is a no brainer dfo,,,get those nets out of the waters,,
no,they won't do that,,they will cut back the sport fishery is what they wiil do,,

Any updates on sox?
Trying to decide which coast to fish this weekend.
Thanks.
Smiley.

I lived in Port Alberni for years......and every year,come Sox time, it's pretty much the same ball game:-

You get the early run..which is in the river systems by May...these fish rarely bite and shoot straight up the rivers because the rivers are cool, lots of water.

FN always gets them in nets long before they start biting for the sporties.

Later, they usually start biting first out Kildonan end of Inlet and area.....end of June-ish......

The best time for Sox in the upper Inlet has historically been the first two weeks of July for maximum results....if no rain for awhile and high riverwater temps, fish will hold and mill around for awhile waiting for better water.
You can catch them long after that but the bulk is in July......

A buddy and I are heading to Alberni tomorrow bright and early. Is there anything happening? Or should we just stock up on gas and keep heading out? I heard a few different reports some good some bad.

Back