Sockeye in JDF

Rockfish

There seems to be a Sockeye run going past Sooke right now. We released one nice big one today caught incidentally on Anchovy right out front. In the Derby this past weekend someone asked on the VHF if they could keep a Sockeye (the answer is no by the way). Anyone know which Sockeye run this is/where they are headed?

There seems to be a Sockeye run going past Sooke right now. We released one nice big one today caught incidentally on Anchovy right out front. In the Derby this past weekend someone asked on the VHF if they could keep a Sockeye (the answer is no by the way). Anyone know which Sockeye run this is/where they are headed?
Could be they are Fraser bound but usually early Stuarts are not that large.Test sets only started in Whonnock on June 23rd and no socks in the sets yet. No other test fisheries have started yet.

I have heard of a run of sox to lake Washington about now. Early Stuarts are noted for hugging the shore at Sooke . Mostly smaller fish but I have seen the odd big one.

I have heard of a run of sox to lake Washington about now. Early Stuarts are noted for hugging the shore at Sooke . Mostly smaller fish but I have seen the odd big one.
The Lake Washington run isn't that big this year but it typically peaks around July 4. Right now it's only a few 100 per day.

When I said large I guess I was thinking in relative terms. It was larger than the small Coho and the ton of Pinks that have been hitting our bait while we have been looking for Chinook but was not like the ones we occasionally get in JDF off Sooke some years when we have an opening that look like they are getting up closer to ten pounds.

Perhaps this one was an Early Stuart as it was in close. We were doing the Stroll across the Sooke Inlet Harbour Mouth at the time in about 90 feet of water. When we are actually having a Sockeye opening we are often out a few K around the third tide line in 500 feet or so picking them up although we sometimes do get the big runs in closer.

Anyway I guess whether an Early Stuart or US Sockeye I suspect we will not be getting an opening on them off Sooke. I am assuming these runs are all stocks of concern.

Last Year with 98% of the huge Fraser Sockeye run coming down the inside instead of through JDF we quickly gave up on targeting them although we did catch 3 incidentally.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back