Sockeye in bamfield

Teejay

we are heading to bamfield on June 15 for a few days was wondering if anyone has been catching any sockeye in the inlet yet?

I know of one at 10 Mile. Natives were getting about 5 per set netting in the river on Sunday.

Bit early to know how the run will shape up. Should be a few more showing in a week. The main migration takes place last week of June and first week of July every year.

Talked to couple of the FN guys commercial fishing the river - they said the fish are small so far and spotty. Not too surprising as the early part of June generally starts this way. Looking at the weekly stock report we have 6300 through the counter at Sprout and 100 in Stamp. The worry this season is the Stamp run. The test fishery runs June 11/12 with the Nita Marie. Area G Gill Net opening is June 12. No seine yet, possibly June 20.

A few are being cleaned at China Creek (I phoned yesterday) and the sporties in the river are scratching for a handful each morning. I bbq’d first of season tonight. (Gift from friend on the Somass). Very small fish in river, like 3 pounders.

... Area G Gill Net opening is June 12.

Area G is Troll and troll only.

Area D is the group that gillnets in the Inlet.

Slow numbers, small fish.
Fits with the low number forecast thus far.

FN's going 24/7 with the drift nets.
River to high for them to effectively seine Papermill.
Dipnets ongoing at Waddy's.
Fish small enough to slip through the gillnets in the river.

Nog

Back