So... Ya think You Can TOW?

IronNoggin

The Boat: 33 feet, 16,000 pounds dry weight (add on full main fuel tanks and gear)

The Truck: 2000 Ford F-150 with tow package (air bags, extra leaves, tranny cooler, heavy duty hitch etc)

The Ramp: Ukee sea plane base - rock and mixed gravel

TowRig.jpg

To great applause from the Boat House Boyz (who said a half ton would NEVER do the job) the little-truck-that-could did exactly what I thought She would.

Absolutely No problems!! SWEET!
happydance.gif

Cheers,
Nog

Next test for the F-150 :

tow it to Nanaimo.....:eek:

Wow, I had not idea that a boat that size could be launched and retrieved at the sea plane base! That ramp appeared to me to be pretty tricky, so I never attempted it.

Hope the big Castaway is not in need of any serious repair!

Nog, now that you are there, how about a fishing report?

Wow, I had not idea that a boat that size could be launched and retrieved at the sea plane base! That ramp appeared to me to be pretty tricky, so I never attempted it.

Better ramp than the other one in town, but best at High Tide of course.

Hope the big Castaway is not in need of any serious repair!

Simple service job that took about 1/2 hour. She's purring!

Nog, now that you are there, how about a fishing report?

I WAS there, but came home due to the weather. Likely running back EARLY tomorrow. Letcha know as it goes...

Cheers,
Nog

Max trailer weight available for that truck (with a 3.73 rear axle ratio, 5.4l engine and 4x4) is 8300lbs (8700 with a 4x2) so me thinks you were a tad over. Glad you had no problems but you might be pushing your luck.

VERY Good brakes on both the truck, and more importantly, on the trailer!
Was more nervous launching than hauling it out! Thought that Big Rig might well drag me back into the pond!
Luckily, No Worries again!! :)

LOL! What they don't know can't hurt them Buddy!! :D

Cheers,
Nog

Sitting in SVOP now and the word is that they are going to open their eyes July 1st. Whether they will back up their word is to be seen.

no **** I dont think you would make it up that last hill.

that is a crazy pull for the poor lil 150 even on the straight. I guess that says how tough those axles are wow wouldnt want to hit a bump. probably rip the hitch off the frame first.

I saw a little gaser s10 pulling a double axle with a 4winds on it crazyness. Do what ya gotta do I suppose lol

Sitting in SVOP now and the word is that they are going to open their eyes July 1st. Whether they will back up their word is to be seen.

Just checked the trailer weight at the scales. I was concerned with even distribution on the axles for even tire wear and handling. Quick math showed 1000+# on the tongue so I just had to change the draw bar & ball, then move the bow post back a bit to get under 1000#. The old, 2" hollow bar was only rated for 5000#. The trailer weighed in at 6200# (7000 cap.)

3 years ago, I saw a guy panic stop at an intersection for a pedestrian. The 18' boat came up off the trailer and landed on the cab, while the trailer reach snapped as it moved past the truck - unbelievable! If you have an accident with an inadequately secured load, improper tow gear or tow beyond capacity, it's an insurance nightmare. Be safe.

What Nog left out of the picture is his 3 big sled dogs pulling from the front! Thats a hairy toe...

:)

Hey Nog,
I know a guide who now resides in Ukee full time with a fairly large charter operation, but back in the early 90's he lived in Surrey
and trailered his boat over to Ukee, sounds pretty easy eh?, he towed a 28' prowler with alaskan cabin (if memory is correct may be off a foot either way) hooked on behind his 24ish 5th wheel yes "b" train all this behind his v6 toyota 4x4 I'm sure there are some still over there that remember him rolling into town lol it was a sight to see, some of the hills were done in 4 wheel low 3rd gear and matted, no problem stopping with brakes on all those axles,
your picture kinda reminded me of him, Big butt boat dwarfing the truck,
love it but really you shoulda used a chevy :D

Hey Nog,
I know a guide who now resides in Ukee full time with a fairly large charter operation, but back in the early 90's he lived in Surrey
and trailered his boat over to Ukee, sounds pretty easy eh?, he towed a 28' prowler with alaskan cabin (if memory is correct may be off a foot either way) hooked on behind his 24ish 5th wheel yes "b" train all this behind his v6 toyota 4x4 I'm sure there are some still over there that remember him rolling into town lol it was a sight to see, some of the hills were done in 4 wheel low 3rd gear and matted, no problem stopping with brakes on all those axles,
your picture kinda reminded me of him, Big butt boat dwarfing the truck,
love it but really you shoulda used a chevy :D

Wow he's lucky he didn't kill himself or someone else with a journey like that! What was he, maybe 10 times over his limit for weight?

apparently all that was a concern was the axle weights and none were exceeded, he did have a "B" permit which was allowed up untill sometime around
the mid 90's, it is still allowed in alberta and some of the other prairie provinces as well,
and yes we all thought he was nuckin futz too

apparently all that was a concern was the axle weights and none were exceeded, he did have a "B" permit which was allowed up untill sometime around
the mid 90's, it is still allowed in alberta and some of the other prairie provinces as well,
and yes we all thought he was nuckin futz too

There's no way he got that permit for that Toyota 1/4 ton pulling it!!! Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn' a dually one ton be pushing it with that load?

I'm telling you he had a B train liscence to do it with the Toyota! he was pulled over a couple times and once he showed the permit he was good to go, I do not disagree he was overloaded,
he did eventually upgrade to a 1 ton dually but by then the days of the B train were no longer allowed on our roads in BC anyway.

Back