So what is everyone else doing this summer?

I’m going to try my hand at Halibut. Also, I will practice some catch and release. I grew up in this type of fishery so I’m used to it. More importantly though, I want to teach my son and daughter how to fish for these magnificent beasts before they take that right away from us too.

Going easy on fuel til July 31 and save the best bait for the first two weeks of September.

I guess I'll be driving this a bit more than I planned this summer.

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    383.4 KB · Views: 46
Aren't you guys concerned that this will be "the new normal"
an far as reg's go ?

It will be the new norm because let me tell you how the next 10 years will go...

Chinook stocks will start to recover a bit but DFO will pass the fish onto First Nations, Then the allocation negotiations will start in a few years and DFO will give our Quota away.... Even If early Fraser Stocks get above escapement advocates will say well now we have to wait a few cycles (8-12 years) and see, meanwhile the Natives will up there FSC allocation because their population and needs will increase. Also over that time the population of BC will increase by a few million and C&R will be popular, so DFO will then say that we are using all our allocation in C&R fisheries.

This is the new normal

I'm OK with Catch and Release as it's pretty much how I grew up with fishing. Would be nice to retain the odd bleeder though, but how do you regulate that, as the cheaters would always be bring home "bleeders". Still some tackle / gear tweaking regs that could have been done IMO. Single barbless hook, one rod per angler, bait ban, no electric down riggers, close fishing a couple a days of the week.

F.N.'s are the big question? Are they just going to suck up what everyone else lets through? Time to stock up on straw bails and barbed wire?

Moving back to Sask soon to fish the fresh water ..... Ah Walleye, Rainbows, Perch, Lake Trout, Grayling, Jack all you want. Bro has a cabin on Deifenbaker ....... Boats up for sale very sooooooon gonna by a pontoon . Had enough of this Pacific Hassle and in the Winter off to Arizona .... Sea Ya All !

an far as reg's go ?

Compared what happened on the east coast with cod and salmon, I would say that we got off easy as there will still be some fishing permitted in some areas instead of a complete moratorium.

I think that this is the new normal, unless there is a drastic turnaround.

an far as reg's go ?

Hope that this is all the new normal will be.

The BC regs are still far nicer to fishers than the WA regs. I've been in WA for 18 years. This YEAR the allocation for mature chinook is 3,500 TOTAL. Last year it was roughly twice that and the fishery was open 6 days. In the past 4 years we have had two where there was no coho fishery at all.

With all that, I still love to fish when I can. I get most angry with concepts of closing or drastically modifying fisheries to some consumers, but not all.

This sucks for you guys. No doubt.

While I'm on my soapbox - I agree that your license fees/salmon stamp could be bumped significantly with little push back. What your gov't does with it is ..... well, do we ever know what governments do with our money? Non- Canadian Youth licenses should also have a fee, not just the $6 stamp. TAX THE VISITORS!!! it's a long standing tradition. Vacations are always expensive. They'll keep coming! :)

OK. Rant over. thanks for your indulgence.

Well I'm going to Spend 4 months at Telegraph Cove, fish some halibut, ling, prawns and crabs maybe the odd early coho. Sit around my campfire till the fire ban comes on and reminiss about all the springs I caught in the ten years running the lodge at Hippa. Hopefully that gets me thru till July 15 and then it's game on

I am going to be crossing days off the calendar for the summer of 2023 which may be the earliest these measures will end as they await the results of their decision.

I guess we have one window of sockeye inbetween....and pinks and coho.

This summer I will be anchored up off the QA for halibut.....drinking beer and listening to music.

I

think that might **** off the Americans who are heavily restricted down here
Wouldn't bother me/us a bit. We are all fisherman. The crazy reg changes down here along with a whacked out halibut season is what prompted us to trailer up there this summer. 2nd of July we'll be checking in to Critter cove and filling 4 rooms (3 boats) yes we come to catch and KEEP salmon, so if that means fish longer and further (esperanza) then so be it. (Gas pumps will love us) Going to be an adventure regardless. Its our only salmon opportunity for the year because we'll be running tuna the rest of the summer (anyone every wants to make a journey the opposite way for tuna, give me a shout)

Think salmon back east in Nova Scotia has been closed my entire lifetime 40 yrs and much of my parents, I don’t recall the stocks ever returning. Guess DFO is determined to have a closing formula work sometime this century. I’m pretty bummed as I moved to island to fish. But luckily I can still hit the inlet pretty easily. I’ll still go out of French creek for prawns, lings, and boat camping around the area. Plan to hit the west more now though

I'm OK with Catch and Release as it's pretty much how I grew up with fishing. Would be nice to retain the odd bleeder though, but how do you regulate that, as the cheaters would always be bring home "bleeders". Still some tackle / gear tweaking regs that could have been done IMO. Single barbless hook, one rod per angler, bait ban, no electric down riggers, close fishing a couple a days of the week.

F.N.'s are the big question? Are they just going to suck up what everyone else lets through? Time to stock up on straw bails and barbed wire?

The " couple day a week" thing is a PITA. Here in Oregon our spring halibut season is thurs-sat every other week 4 times or until quota is met. The problem is mother nature. The weather wasn't told the days we can fish so we end up with some idiots doing the deadliest catch every year.

Well as fate would have it my long summer stretch for days off starts July 16th...I’m going to spend sometime sorting out the new boat and then plan on spending my days with the kids and wife at the cabin. That means at least 3 trips a day to check the crab traps because my 9 year old son loves seeing what we catch in there besides crabs. Most crabs get dumped overboard unless we are in the mood for crab around the fire. I’m going to try and get my kids into their first halibut and hopefully we still have the opportunity to catch a few Springs. I’m also going to be looking to see if Tuna are a possibility this year or not...wait and see what happens. That will pretty much take care of my 6 weeks off. Then back to work and the usual grind! Oh yeah....did I mention breaking in the new boat? Lol

Back