So what are your plans for the 15th?

I am waiting till Aug 1st now . Sooke then Hardy. Fish alberni first time then sooke for fall coho run and September chinook fishery.

I'm still surprised with all the trash talking that nobody has posted a single video of the netting.
It's not the netting for FSC Fisheries that is the issue. Yes there's concern that when they're open that they do catch the stocks of concern, but they have a constitutional priority so we're going to have a hard time preventing that. Getting FSC Fisheries to move to using pound nets or fish trap would be a good measure, but that's another topic.

The issue is that the Fisheries Minister has made it abundantly clear if you want an opening for even Hatchery Chinook, you're going to need the permission or approval of the Fraser River First Nations. We showed with science and data earlier this spring that there was less than 1% interception rate of the early Fraser Chinook stocks of concern by sport fishing. Still we did not get it open because Fraser River First Nations would not approve it.

Wilkinson reconfirmed this in his interview on cknw if you listen to what he said in his comments about bringing user groups together for a meeting. What he was really saying is we're going to put everyone in front of Fraser First Nation. He's now choosing to lie about how many FSC openings there have been on the radio to project the image that he's saving the Chinook. Making comments in favor of these Fisheries and the stocks of concern are in the relevant areas. Fraser River early Chinooks stocks of concern are everywhere in the Fraser in April, May and June. Handling of the public fishery to one User Group needs to stop and this Fisheries Minister and his government needs to go!

Last edited:
Not meaning to scare everyone, but DFO is seriously looking at extending the closures or going to hatchery only in some of the areas that were scheduled to open on Monday. There reasoning is the Fraser River Slide. Decision will be coming out today or tomorrow.

I strongly recommend you contact your MP, MLA and local media to emphasize how important these areas are to opening on Monday!
Well i for one am fishing Renfrew and am going to bonk me some big bejesus springs regardless. DFO can take a long hydraulic suck on the end of my love stick, early run Fraser fish have gone through Renfrew if they even passed the shoreline there to start with!!!!!

Well i for one am fishing Renfrew and am going to bonk me some big bejesus springs regardless. DFO can take a long hydraulic suck on the end of my love stick, early run Fraser fish have gone through Renfrew if they even passed the shoreline there to start with!!!!!
Don't blame you!!! We are hoping to go up Tuesday.
I am told by people who know, if DFO is going to extend the (suspect) policy of not allowing First Nation river netting after July 15, they must extend the closures for the Sport Fishermen.
If the closures are extended at this late date, it should result in a joint action law suit.
My guess it won't happen.

Last edited:
Don't blame you!!! We are hoping to go up Tuesday.
I am told by people who know, if DFO is going to extend the (suspect) policy of not allowing First Nation river netting after July 15, they must extend the closures for the Sport Fishermen.
If the closures are extended at this late date, it should result in a joint action law suit.
My guess it won't happed.
There’s absolutely no correlation between the in river netting of FNs and the open water angling especially at this stage of the season. This government is setting a precedent by giving FNs the power to determine the fate of other sectors. What Jason started in the CKNW interview last week should be scaled up to bring awareness to the general public. Canadians should know what Trudeu’s reconciliation agenda is going to do for them. Bypass the legal rights of publicly elected government, abuse and misuse the authority of the decision makers to let the non-elective tribes decide for others. Then get into back Door business dealings with the chiefs and screw over a bunch of hard working middle class people. I don’t mean to be racist or dismissive of the FN’s legal rights but what this government is doing will do even more harm to FNs than good.

On July 15, I’m going to walk to my useless Liberal MP’s office to hand in my letter #12 and have a word with him. His time is up from what I can see.

Last edited:
Heads should roll for this. Who knew what and when did they know it? It demonstrates that the Rock Slide has been totally mishandled. How can any business survive with this uncertanty never mind the general angling public. If it turns out to be so bad at the slide that we need to close all Fishing on the Coast to let every last fish have a chance then certainly that should also include the Open Net Fish Farm fishery as they also catch and kill these very same fish.

It will be announced shortly retention of 1 hatchery chinook or wild a day under 80cm in areas that were schedule to open July 15. Bad news is Thrasher area was supposed to open and have been told it will be closed to retention. This will apply in Georgia Strait and Westcoast of Vancouver Island. Announcement should be out very shortly.

Last edited:
Back