So are u going out and catch and releasing

sir-vivor

I for one have decided that after 30 years of fishing the Straight I'm not going to fish during the Chinook closure (catch and release) and will do most of my fishing around Barkley Inlet.

So what are u guys going to do ? Catch and Release ? or heading somewhere ?

S-V II

We have booked a week at Poett Nook but we do that every year. As for c and r in the Strait, I'll wait until it re-opens for retention.

Might take me a bit longer to change habits.
There have been a couple of days that look great to get out on the water with the boat and gear.
But when I am not in the running to bring home some fresh tastiness for the BBQ, the other things on the list get done first.
This may change, still two months before I can get a freshie for the BBQ to enjoy with out of town friends and family.

Starting to get the shakes so may have to go out in a couple of weeks for C&R. Start looking for Coho early June and head to the Gulf islands for some Ling at some time.
Still have to go find a bear..!!

not doing any catch and release. caught 2 lings which is about all i eat in a year. wasted a bunch of time and lures trying to find ECVI halibut to no avail. next up will be sockeye in port and chinook coho when that opens in the summer.

Not a flippin chance. I will put no more into this fiasco of supporting government and its economy.
Weve roughed out what we approximately contribute evety year to the economy Salt Water fishing wise which includes travel accommodations tackle gear insurance fuel mooreage repairs etc and over the last three years its averaging between 6 to $8,000 bucks per year. !!!
And we are just 1 family of 4 with a 20 ft. Boat.

DFO and government can stuff it sideways you know where.

And to think we are just 1 of thousands and thousands of others.......never mind the Foriegn tourists.

The LIBERALS have screwed up BIG TIME.
and will pay for it come election time with the loss of seats. And hopefully NOT QUALIFYING for their Pension.

This is nothing but cattering to the choosen. NOT based on FACTS we have proven....... In The mean time FNs continue to pound away on the SO CALLED sensitive runs.

Stuff your AVID ANGLER PROGRAM i was part of for a number of years. Your hats hoodies and jackets are with the Homeless in the Lower mainland.

Wilkinson and heads of DFO are a messed up bunch of Liars. Their disrespect for what we contribute to the economy and fishery have been pushed aside.

Pierres Love Child has missed the Boat on this one.

Thanks for nothing........your Lies will not produce more fish for sustainability........idiots.

No C&R for me. One trip to Bamfield, then I'll be busy with my wedding and honeymoon until end of August then I'll start fishing locally SOG. Maybe a September trip to Ukee.

Honeymoon is in Ireland, Scotland, Norway and Iceland so hoping to try a couple days fishing on that trip.

Yeah I'll go out. It has always been my goal to catch a big tidal chinook on the fly. (not an estuary or river fish) This may be my chance with less boats out.

I took my girlfriend fishing and she hooked a 10lb spring the other day. Hooked good, and bled a fair bit. Had to net it to let it go. Held it beside the boat for 5 minutes until it revived, with a ton of seals nearby. Who knows if it lived, but that's it - no more catch and release for springs until I can retain them.

We went to a beach nearby and collected all the styrofoam and trash, had a beer, and had a great time together.

Taking the boat up north VI this month and it will stay there till the end of July.

If the SRKW options went in we planned to leave it up there till september.

Checked the fuel price lately??? I'll leave the boat parked until I can bring a (still expensive) fish home, thanks.

one 15 pound chinook provided my family with roughly 8 dinners. Replacing our standard chicken breast, steak dinners ect. 120 bucks worth of gas is 2-3 times out.

I am not a meat fishermen and I have gone out this season for C&R. However not being able to keep a chinook does affect my economics. This most likely means less times going out when can't retain and less free money to spend on tackle i don't need but buy anyways.

Its disgraceful what Wilkenson has done to sport fishery, for. 68 % (less than 1%) of the fish taken from the Fraser run is by us ......But this clearly indicates our response to to his idiotic non scientific actions .

Yes I will. Was going to cancel planned trips but gave my head a shake. Yes, I’m pissed off about the politicking rather than science-based decision making but I love to fish and C&R 100% when I fly fish so why not on the chuck?! Ocean salmon still actively feeding will be fine w/ properly sized single barbless and gaff releases w/o removing from the water. Gonna work on my plug game and run plugs and spoons fast, no flashers, and enjoy the fight if I’m lucky enough to get one or two.

Cheers!

Ukee

Yes I will. Was going to cancel planned trips but gave my head a shake. Yes, I’m pissed off about the politicking rather than science-based decision making but I love to fish and C&R 100% when I fly fish so why not on the chuck?! Ocean salmon still actively feeding will be fine w/ properly sized single barbless and gaff releases w/o removing from the water. Gonna work on my plug game and run plugs and spoons fast, no flashers, and enjoy the fight if I’m lucky enough to get one or two.

Cheers!

Ukee

Do you only C&R kokanee?

I troll for kokes, and don’t fly fish the bigger lakes like stump, bridge and horse that have a mixed bag of troots and kokes. It also Depends on time of yr, prior to mid- June before algae blooms start - no, kokes taste too good so I bonk them. After mid- June I don’t target them as I don’t find trolling around w/ sling blades and mini-hoochies for 10-17” fish (size range of Monte Lk Kokes) as sporting as all the other fly fishing opportunities avail to me. Once the blue green algae blooms and filter feeding kokes start tasting like mud due to the geosmin in the algae I’m off kokes, and focus on the small interior flyfishing lakes in June. By July small interior lakes go into the doldrums and I take my holidays to fish the chuck and/or flyfish the East Kootenay streams for westslope cutts (my fave!)

In contrast to Kokanee (which are great to eat but only so-so sport imho) an ocean-brite Chinook caught w/o a flasher is a great sportfish and a ton of fun to catch. Do I like to eat spring, of course, I love it (though the wife prefers Sox and coho), but still a fun enough time to chase and catch them even if C&R’ing. Plus, anytime on the Ocean along our beautiful coast is worth it to me regardless of the hauling, ferry and fuel costs.

Cheers!

Ukee

Took the boat out for a good run the other day, had a nice lunch with wife, didn’t wet a line. Will wait till the coho open hopefully in June if not July 15th. Brother in law cancelled our yearly combined spring birthday/fishing derby, first time in 8 years. $2000-3000 in lost revenue from cancelled trip to westjet and local businesses. His August trip still out with the jury.

Back