Snorkelling?

Matsutake

Anyone ever do any snorkelling on the west coast of Van Isl? Just curious about splashing about in the Broken Group this August and looking for any pointers on wetsuits. Also any other places of interest.
Thanks for any feedback!

guys surf in full length 4 mil suits in the summer, so if you want to spend any length of time in the water I would think that would be the minimum thickness you would want.

I've dived WCVI in early July, and already then the viz isn't good, less than 4' when I was out. In August I would think that it wouldn't be much better, as the water would be warmer. You won't be at the surface watching the fishies 20' below you!
Best viz, as I'm sure you know, is in winter.

I do a little bit in the islands around Valdez etc. If I'm staying in for a while, my favourite setup is a 1.5mm full body suit with a cheap shorty 2-3mm overtop. Keeps me pretty warm, but easier to move around in than a full 4mm suit.

I do also have an 8mm with a full on hood and everything...man, you can stay in for a long time with that beast. Unfortunately other than wiggling your legs around a bit with fins, it's pretty much like wearing a rigid starfish costume. Really tiring to actually swim in.

I used to keep my boat moored in Tofino; lot's of dive charters out of the Marina. I believe Father Charles Rock was a popular spot. The water seems a bit murky for diving though. Also one of the Guides at the dock swears he saw Great White Sharks around Tofino; murky water & sharks is a dangerous combo.

I used to keep my boat moored in Tofino; lot's of dive charters out of the Marina. I believe Father Charles Rock was a popular spot. The water seems a bit murky for diving though. Also one of the Guides at the dock swears he saw Great White Sharks around Tofino; murky water & sharks is a dangerous combo.
Yikes! About 15 years ago while hanging out on the beach near Tofino and talking to a hippie type young guy who was born and raised in the area the topic of sharks and surfing came up. He stated that yes in fact a great white had been spotted just the previous week in the bay around the corner. My jaw hit the sand. He went on to say there would never be a shark attack in the area due to the cold water and the shark would eventually make it's way back out to the warmer water. No further fact checking was done.
As to snorkelling, I was thinking more of just finding some calm bays to float around and see what I can see.

Back