Smoking marbled springs

nicnat

I"ve done a fair bit of hot smoking in my bradley smoker, sockeye, coho, pinks, red springs. however I have never smoked a white or marbled spring and have a few in the freezer from fishing the cap this past week.

So I'm looking for advice here from anyone who has smoked these (especially the marbled) successfully or not so successfully and any tips you may have if you do anything different with these specific fish. I was just going to go ahead and smoke one as per my usual but thought I'd throw this out there 1st.

IF you dont want them ill take them off your hands LOL
do as same but ive experimented alot with them the only thing i like to do differently if they were 20 plus lbers is ill brine them for 48 hours than 24 I find with the thicker chunks it makes it better then smoke as per normal ..

Good luck Wolf

I've smoked the marbled before and basically treated them the same with very similar results, although they do seem to be a little more on the oily side. Love the whites fresh on the BBQ though

thanks guys, i love the whites on the bbq too, had them twice in the last week, lol. they are all in that 20# range. just getting organized to do my year end smoking in a coupla weeks. will be trying to make lox for the 1st time with a couple of 10-11# sockeye I caught. normally I send them in to be done but saw a good thread on it in here, just making up an extension for my bradley so i can have 6-8' of pipe between the burner and smoker, with a fan to push the smoke thru.

Hey nicnat, I'm not sure if your interested in a little bit of heat, but last year I used sriracha sauce with other ingredients on a few and damn is that stuff tasty. Hard to keep around. It's not ridiculous heat but just has the perfect bite!

Hi Scotty, yes love heat, we go thru a lot of the sriracha sauce in our house. did you add it to your brine or put it on just before smoking? I'll try a portion of them with the spice.

Hey Wolf I followed your thread on your smokehouse and actually had posted on it, lol. very cool smokehouse.

not much I enjoy more than sippin on a nice single malt and munchin on some nicely smoked salmon!

I put it in the brine. I don't remeber the portion but I believe for a full smoker big chief it used 2/3 the bottle.
If your really interested I can try to find the recipe.

Back