Smoker recommendations

Prfisher

I'm planning to buy an electric smoker & am looking for suggestions. I have borrowed two units this year, a Little Chief & a Bradley analog.
I found the Chief didn't produce smoke well, even though it was a pretty warm day. The Bradley worked well, but I feel the biscuits are a bit spendy.
There are lots of different smokers available through Home Depot & other retailers. But living in Powell River it's an expensive ferry ride to check them out.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Couple buddy's are using the "Masterbuilt" smokers that are priced in the $250-$300 range
and like them.
I have always used the Chief smokers.
They work fine also.

I use the big chief as well. It’s not fancy but it gets the job done.

Maybe in that little chief you borrowed, it’s possible the element in it was weak and needs to be replaced.

I have a Masterbuilt and really like it.

IMHO I prefer the Bradley type smoker with the automatic puck dispenser and bowl of water to extinguish the used wood puck. I find this system gives a less acrid taste to the food compared to a Big Chief. If you use a Big Chief you need to check and replenish the smoker chips often to avoid over burning them.

With a Bradley you can adjust the heat of the element, with Big Chief you cannot. Also with a Bradley type you can get the cold smoker accessory which makes some nice lox and smoked cheese among other things.

Been using the Big Chief for 25 years now, 2 pans of 1/2 - 3/4 burnt wood is a good amount of smoked flavour,
i don't know if i would get the same product out of the Bradley smoker, will be buying it one day soon for the cold
smoke feature.

I kinda enjoy the old school way getting up to check the pan, i move the racks around so
everything is cooking at the same time, just keeping a close eye on the prized fish, not turn
on and leave, there's a crucial time when you over cook your fish.

Get the Big Chief if your going that root not the little chief.

Just did up another batch.. hot smoked
IMG_5017.JPG

Last edited:
I'm planning to buy an electric smoker & am looking for suggestions. I have borrowed two units this year, a Little Chief & a Bradley analog.
I found the Chief didn't produce smoke well, even though it was a pretty warm day. The Bradley worked well.

The Big Chief i run doesn't put out huge amounts smoke @165F it burns a slow smoulder, i've seen Bradleys on video's
and they smoke big time, to high a temp maybe.

For years I used a Big Chief. The disadvantage is that they don't get hot enough really to do large pieces of red meats. I always soaked the chips first and that seemed to mellow out the smoke. This year I bought a Bradley 4 rack digital. I love it. The temperature is easy to control, from low temp to high temp and I love the automatic puck dispensing. I pretty much just do the settings and walk away for a while. The smoked salmon I did this year was probably the best I've made.

Attachments

• 20180903_100034.jpg
    20180903_100034.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 20180904_220538.jpg
    20180904_220538.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 44
The Big Chief i run doesn't put out huge amounts smoke @165F it burns a slow smoulder, i've seen Bradleys on video's
and they smoke big time, to high a temp maybe.
What is the desired temp for getting the wood chips to smoke?

I am a Bradley convert from 12 yeas ago for many reasons but must admit I grew up eating smoked salmon done in the’chiefs’ and still love the pungent flavor.

I'm not to sure on that, but like i said on my upper post my Chief runs @ a constant 165F so it just gives it a light smoulder.

Just about the perfect temp to slow smoke and get the max flavour
without drying out the fish or cooking it too quickly.

I used a little chief for a while, pretty good results - an extension cord would really impact the amount of heat, I also used insulating wrap in colder weather to control the temp more. I was given an older bradley now, Little Chief is yours if you have any way to get it from Sooke to Powell River.

The big chief is good for fish, I like it. The downside is you cannot regulate the heat like you can with a Bradley.

I only smoke fish, if I was looking at other meats, I’d probably go Bradley or build one myself.

I used a little chief for a while, pretty good results - an extension cord would really impact the amount of heat, I also used insulating wrap in colder weather to control the temp more. I was given an older bradley now, Little Chief is yours if you have any way to get it from Sooke to Powell River.

Hey dabell! Thanks for the offer! I'm not planning a trip in your direction for a while, but I will definitely keep it in mind.

Thanks also to everyone who replied here. It's great to have some experienced advice to help making a decision.

Kildonan... I think you're right about the borrowed Little Chief. It hasn't been used for many years & a new element might fix it right up.

All of those great photos have me heading for the freezer to pull out a package of white spring I smoked a couple of months ago!

Resized_20181011_053646.jpeg I built my own smoker that uses a small bbq propane burner for heat and a pellet burner tray for smoke. When I bought my trays you could get sawdust instead of pellets which apparently is harder to find now. I bought 20lb of it so I'm ok for a while. I can run it with no heat or get it up to 275 if needed. I used 12 old oven racks and made a plywood chest and lined it with stainless. Haven't burnt it down yet even while cooking 40 lbs of ribs on high heat for 5-6 hours. It's 2'x2'x6' tall.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B007ROPJ1M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_IvTVBb55D56YR

Back