smoker racks

scott craven

What do you all use to prevent salmon skin from sticking to the racks ?
i find the spray on product (Pam) doesn't work that well.
too much damage when removing the stuck on fillets.

What do you all use to prevent salmon skin from sticking to the racks ?
i find the spray on product (Pam) doesn't work that well.
too much damage when removing the stuck on fillets.

Try painting on some Olive or Canola oil the next time right onto the grills. Shouldn't impact the flavour as there won't be much transfer onto the fish.

I use a Bradley, and they have teflon racks that you can buy. I spray them with any type of no stick including Pam if thats what I have on hand. My fish does not sick to the racks. I also wait till the fish cools before removing from the racks to prevent pieces from braking.

The secret is to let the fish dry- then dry skin side up for an hour or 2 -I use a fan-the skin gets dry and leathery-then I wipe the skin with cooking oil and place on an oiled rack-you will never have stuck salmon again.

Teflon is known to emit cyanide gas at higher temperatures , even the low heat in the smoker must react with the teflon to transfer direct to the product , I am very wary of anything with teflon in it.
My 2 cents worth.

AL

resticking

take the skin off and spray racks with pam ,when smokeing is finished ,leave in smoker overnite in cool place ,if you do in fudge size or strips fish will not stick!

Just did my second batch of smoked salmon with my next door neighbour's Bradley Digital smoker. The first batch I had the fish sticking to the racks even though I sprayed the racks with Pam prior to placing the fish on the racks. This time I put the six racks in my oven and heated them to 170 to 200 degrees F for a few minutes. I sprayed the racks with Pam when they were still warm (stacked in the sink they got sprayed a couple times). Fish was placed on racks shortly after spraying with Pam. There was no fish sticking to the racks at all this time, a much easier clean-up!

...Rob

I generally smoke whole halves of most fish (or candy of course), skin on.

I have found that BARBECUE Pam works much better than the regular kitchen stuff does - it was designed to take some pretty high heat and still function. Combine that with drying the fillets sufficiently and no problemo with sticking.

Cheers,
Nog

Latest batch turned out great, no sticking.
i wiped the grills down with canola oil, and put the smoker in full sunlight
with an old blanket over it.
It got real hot to touch, and the smoke was done in under 6 hours

Teflon is known to emit cyanide gas at higher temperatures , even the low heat in the smoker must react with the teflon to transfer direct to the product , I am very wary of anything with teflon in it.
My 2 cents worth.

AL
This is chemically impossible and probably one of those "urban legends". Teflon is polytetrafluoroethylene and therefore contains only carbon and fluorine atoms. Cyanide is a compound of carbon and nitrogen.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_cyanide_found_in_teflon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polytetrafluoroethylene

Last edited by a moderator:
You are falling for that old urban myth. Teflon will never off-gas anything at smoker temperatures. You have to get it smoking hot before you would have a problem.

http://www.wisegeek.com/is-teflon-dangerous.htm

Though DuPont is quick to point out the safety of Teflon® and to distance it from the chemical PFOA, studies show Teflon® cookware releases PFOA when heated to 680°F (360°C). This temperature can be reached fairly quickly, for example, a forgotten pan is left empty preheating on a very hot burner. DuPont acknowledges this, but points out that this is incorrect use of the cookware.

If you are smoking your salmon at these temperatures, teflon may not be your first concern.

Sprays work, however, leaving the SCALES ON prevents sticking. ............BB

How do you come up with that conclusion?

I have smoked fish for years and this is the very first year I have even scaled a fish let alone smoked a scaled fish. My fish sticks to the racks just like everyone elses. I even use teflon racks and spray. Scales on...Scales off...the fish sticks.

We just finished doing a batch of salmon in our Bradley this weekend and had our first true "non stick" experience. We recently purchased a product called "Frogmats" which sit on the Bradley racks. They were raved about on the Bradley forum as being non-stick (no oil needed), simple to clean and long lasting and without question we can absolutely definitely vouch for the first two points. For those who are interested in researching more either do a search in the Bradley forum or go to to the following link for details (10 by 13 inches is the size that fits on the Bradley racks): http://www.yardandpool.com/High-Temperature-Jerky-Drying-Screen-p/hitempjrky.htm

We ordered them from the U.S. as there isn't a Canadian distributor.

Just a thought here (and I am one of the one's who is against Teflon - it's not only about the off-gassing at high temps, it also emits a nasty chemical when produced which has been found in tissue, soil and ice samples globally) .... Not to mention when it "wears out", where does the coating actually go? Into your food methinks ...

I don't have a smoker (can't do it at my apartment), but plan on buying one for my place in the Gulf Islands.

How would a silicon mat work? I have a silicon splatter screen that you use when frying, and also have what's called a "Sil-Pat" [http://silpat.com/] for baking. The splatter screen has holes in it (so the smoke could travel through), or you could punch or cut holes into the Sil-Pat for the same effect. Sil-pats are expensive, but I have also bought knock-offs at Superstore ($10 versus like $50), and they work pretty well too.

Not sure if they would work, but thought I would throw it out there ....

Lemme know if anyone tries it out!

Teflon chems found in ice samples!? And you wouldnt think there is any toxins coming off silicon?

All that aside. Robs idea of heating racks then oiling and putting salmon is a good idea! Think about it you wait until your bbq grill is hot before putting any food on it. Ive tried scales on and scales off sticks both times. Usually dry my salmon on the racks too to get to get the piccle or whatever its called which also probably lets the marinade with sugar drip down and get sticky and stuck under skin on rack.

Just a thought here (and I am one of the one's who is against Teflon - it's not only about the off-gassing at high temps, it also emits a nasty chemical when produced which has been found in tissue, soil and ice samples globally) .... Not to mention when it "wears out", where does the coating actually go? Into your food methinks ...

I don't have a smoker (can't do it at my apartment), but plan on buying one for my place in the Gulf Islands.

How would a silicon mat work? I have a silicon splatter screen that you use when frying, and also have what's called a "Sil-Pat" [http://silpat.com/] for baking. The splatter screen has holes in it (so the smoke could travel through), or you could punch or cut holes into the Sil-Pat for the same effect. Sil-pats are expensive, but I have also bought knock-offs at Superstore ($10 versus like $50), and they work pretty well too.

Not sure if they would work, but thought I would throw it out there ....

Lemme know if anyone tries it out!

Howz that silicon working for ya compared to Teflon? Ha ha.

Wow. If your worried about chemicals and such stick to the proven cast iron or stainless etc.

Well, since there appears to be the need to bash my suggestion, please see the following:

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hl-vs/iyh-vsv/prod/cook-cuisinier-eng.php

Of course this is just one website found after a quick search, but it does reference both Health Canada and FDA.

In addition, in my business (medical), the use of teflon seats in medical gas pipeline valves is currently under review by CSA due to the concern of the (well-documented) off-gassing that occurs when teflon is heated up.

Take it for what it's worth - a suggestion.

I understand that Holmes is a chef, and would be interested in his opinion / experience with SilPat type of products as well.

As a fairly new member to the board, I'm sure SFBC would welcome suggestions from its longer-tenured members.

I am not looking to start an arguement, I have no time or desire for that but rather, am simply looking to educate myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back