Smoked salmon

scott craven

My latest batch has fat deposits on the surface.
Is there a way to avoid that or is it just the oil content in the Chinook ? :confused:

That's been my experience. If the temp is too high it draws the fat out to the surface. If you can control it turn it down. If it's a big chief for example try removing the box cover if you have it on, or move it to a shady or cooler location.;) eman

High heat, moisture/steam and poor air flow will cause the fat to raise. I rack my fish and put fans on it for hours before smoking. Then I start it off in the smoker with the vent fully open and the door cracked for the first hour as the changing temp will make the fish sweat which will break the surface open and allow the fats to come out.

High heat, moisture/steam and poor air flow will cause the fat to raise. I rack my fish and put fans on it for hours before smoking. Then I start it off in the smoker with the vent fully open and the door cracked for the first hour as the changing temp will make the fish sweat which will break the surface open and allow the fats to come out.

Yup I also fan dry from anywhere between 12 to 20 hours depending on thickness ,temp and time available.

Last edited by a moderator:
The white stuff or curd you see forming on the flesh side of the fish is protein. The best way to avoid this is to dry the salmon sufficiently before smoking; you can tell by the shiny pellicle forming on the flesh, after a while you'll be able to tell just by touching it - similar to a slab properly cured bacon. Drying time depends on the thickness and fat content , it can take a whole day or can speed it up with ventilation from a fan. A good rule of thumb is to raise the inside smoker temperature slowly, try not let it go above 100 F for at least the 1st couple of hours.

>>Winter I never have a problems<<

Same here.

... that's mostly bc the ambient temperature outside is cooler, it takes the smoker longer to heat up in cool weather. If it's to hot outside - try smoking at night. Try gradually raising the temperature, this maybe difficult if you don't have an adjustable heat source, in this case try opening your vent all the way to avoid premature temperature rise.

Yes to much heat same a bbqing you see it . nothing wrong with it just a bit drier thats all, enjoy

Yes to much heat same a bbqing you see it . nothing wrong with it just a bit drier thats all, enjoy

...respectively the curd is unappetising it's like eating a grilled steak that hasn't sufficiently rested

eat it!!!LOL and dont over do the next batch

Overdid a batch last night by about 2 hours. (I'll blame the wife ;))
any method of recovery available ?

Cream Cheese, mayo , mix master and a box of your favorite crackers. Never any left behind in our house when I make that up.

Back