smoked salmon How long in the wet brine?

tubber

I have tried lots of recipes but like a simple 4l of water to 175ml salt and 175ml of brown sugar the best. But what would happen if I soaked it for way longer than 12-24 hours? Haven't tried that.

I've soaked salmon in brine for 48 hours without any noticeable difference.
i would think the longer you brine, the stronger the flavour in the finished product.

r.s craven, I leave my salmon in for 4 to 6 days. I don't use a lot of salt so the time in works well to go right thru the fish.

Here is my brine for smoked salmon:

Mix one bag of DEMARARA brown sugar.
One cup of course salt.
Mix these together in a big bowl dry.

That is the mix and then you decide how much fish you have to do, if you have a large batch then you might need to mix two or three bags. But the ratio does not change.

Put the filleted fish in a cooler skin side down until the bottom is full, lay about 1 inch of the mix on top. Now put another layer on top of the mix with the skin side up, it will sandwich the sugar between the meat of the salmon. And you would just repeat that again skin down, sugar, flesh until your fish is gone. Put a frozen jug of water in the cooler when your done( I use a 2L milk jug) that way the liquid does not go into your brine.

You do not put any liquid in the fish, it will make it's own.

If you start it in the morning, then the next day you take out most of the fish and in the bottom of the cooler you will find some of the mix is not dissolved yet. So you give it a good mixing with your hands, until it’s all liquid. It will be very, very cold and you will get a ice cream head ache. So I have a bucket of warm water beside so I can dip my hands in every couple of minutes.

Have a good hand full of sliced up fresh garlic about 1/8th thick ready to add at this step.

After every thing is mixed, put the fish back in the cooler and the top layer should be pointed so the skin side is up. That way the meat is in the brine.

A couple of times a day I will mix the fish up, you do not have to remove any. You just reach in and give it a good stir with your hands so they all mix up. Make sure when your done the skin side is up again only on the top layer.

I leave my fish in for four days at least, sometimes six days if the pieces a thicker.

I then smoke the fish for only 4 hours so it is nice and moist, I don't like it dried out.

Hey cod that basically the same thing I do but only do it for 24 hours also the last hour of smoking i put a glaze of brown sugar and maple syrup on it that is really thick and it soaks in even more as the poors of the fish is open to accept it its a good finishing touch to it.

good luck Wolf

I use the same brine as Wolf and codfather but I also add 1/2 of a lemon's rine and a teaspoon of food grade Alum Powder to the dry brine mix.
Alum is used in Pickling to firm up the pickles and work the same with the fish flakes.

Alum powder never hear of that one mmmmmmm chemicals LOL LOL
Ive also put crushed garlic and craked pepper on top as well put what ever you like on top as herbs and seasoning only enhance foods, dont be shy have fun with it do just a few pieces to make sure your going to like them then do a whole batch if you like it.

Good luck Wolf

I started out using a wet brine too, but tried out the dry brine posted by RSC and others, and will never go back ... way easier.

I'm not sure why you'd want to brine more than 24 hours though, the fish seems pretty firmed up in that time. What is the benefit of the remaining 3-5 days of brining? Is it just to get the flavours more infused? But does it risk drying out the fish too much?

Roy: every time I say I'm going to try out a glaze like you suggest, then never do. Maple syrup and cracked pepper...mmmm....going to try that next batch for sure.

Hey cod that basically the same thing I do but only do it for 24 hours also the last hour of smoking i put a glaze of brown sugar and maple syrup on it that is really thick and it soaks in even more as the poors of the fish is open to accept it its a good finishing touch to it.

good luck Wolf

x2

Add couple shots of Jack Daniels to the glaze mixture, yum yum

Anyway, I ended up doing it Codfather's way with 3 days in the sugar/salt. 18 hours for the thick pieces in the little chief inside a big cardboard box in -5 temp. I was hoping for a different texture than the overnight wet brine produced, and I am really happy with the results. I think the longer brine results in a change to the protein molecules of some sort.

Alum?

I have been using GRAPE leaves for crisping my home canned Pickles for about 5 years now. I find leaves, give the same crispness to the Cukes as the Alum, without the nasty chemicals!
No unusual taste either!!!

Here is a great link for any of you who are still looking for a great smoked salmon recipe.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=107.0

For a candied version I would recommend a couple of changes to smooth it all out. First off make sure your filets are skinless and completely deboned. Instead of water I use a bottle of good quality white wine.<actually I always replace the water with wine>. A couple of shots dark rum, a cup of maple syrup, and always add an some hot sauce! <tabasco is strong so don't use to much, I usually try to find a sweet hot sauce.> You don't ever taste the hot sauce but it does something remarkable to the salmon. As far as brining with a wet brine, you can lower it down to 10 hours with this recipe if you slice the salmon in 3/4 inch strips.<The pieces come out like rubber after that long, and have a great consistency, without a heavy salt taste>. I put the brine and salmon in large ziplock bags and squeeze the air out the bag so all of the fish is coated, then let it sit in the fridge/cooler on a glass baking dish for however long you want to brine.

Rinse the brine off for making candied salmon as you arn't after a mouth full of salt, then set them on racks to dry for 2 hours and let the pellicule form on the meat. I dab that off with a papertowel and brush some maple syrup directly on the meat before it heads to the smoker. <also I sneak a little more maple on them in the final stages of cooking.>

Also there is a secret to smoking, ALWAYS freeze your salmon first. Then as it is almost thawed, cut your slices/chunks and finish deboning. Freezing the salmon not only breaks down the meat to let the smoke and the brine in faster, as well it lets you have a firm fillet to work with when you want to make perfect cut.

Temperature goes a long ways in making a good smoked salmon, as stated in the link, cooking to hot to fast will cause the white fat to come out and not let the smoke settle in well. To remedy that, for the first hour or so you can put a small steel bowl of ice in the bottom of your smoker. And if for some reason the game is on and overcook it, no problem. Vacuum seal and freeze the salmon, and when you thaw it the moisture comes back into the meat just the right amount.

This recipe will last easily 8 months in the freezer if vacuum sealed.

Like Wolf said, play with the recipe and have fun with it. You can't ruin smoked salmon, but you will notice some recipes taste way better than others. Always write down your changes so the next batch you can adjust to perfection!

Here is a great link for any of you who are still looking for a great smoked salmon recipe.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=107.0

For a candied version I would recommend a couple of changes to smooth it all out. First off make sure your filets are skinless and completely deboned. Instead of water I use a bottle of good quality white wine.<actually I always replace the water with wine>. A couple of shots dark rum, a cup of maple syrup, and always add an some hot sauce! <tabasco is strong so don't use to much, I usually try to find a sweet hot sauce.> You don't ever taste the hot sauce but it does something remarkable to the salmon. As far as brining with a wet brine, you can lower it down to 10 hours with this recipe if you slice the salmon in 3/4 inch strips.<The pieces come out like rubber after that long, and have a great consistency, without a heavy salt taste>. I put the brine and salmon in large ziplock bags and squeeze the air out the bag so all of the fish is coated, then let it sit in the fridge/cooler on a glass baking dish for however long you want to brine.

Rinse the brine off for making candied salmon as you arn't after a mouth full of salt, then set them on racks to dry for 2 hours and let the pellicule form on the meat. I dab that off with a papertowel and brush some maple syrup directly on the meat before it heads to the smoker. <also I sneak a little more maple on them in the final stages of cooking.>

Also there is a secret to smoking, ALWAYS freeze your salmon first. Then as it is almost thawed, cut your slices/chunks and finish deboning. Freezing the salmon not only breaks down the meat to let the smoke and the brine in faster, as well it lets you have a firm fillet to work with when you want to make perfect cut.

Temperature goes a long ways in making a good smoked salmon, as stated in the link, cooking to hot to fast will cause the white fat to come out and not let the smoke settle in well. To remedy that, for the first hour or so you can put a small steel bowl of ice in the bottom of your smoker. And if for some reason the game is on and overcook it, no problem. Vacuum seal and freeze the salmon, and when you thaw it the moisture comes back into the meat just the right amount.

This recipe will last easily 8 months in the freezer if vacuum sealed.

Like Wolf said, play with the recipe and have fun with it. You can't ruin smoked salmon, but you will notice some recipes taste way better than others. Always write down your changes so the next batch you can adjust to perfection!

I've been a member there for some time now and I will say this, Kummocks recipe is one of the best I've used be patient waiting for the pellicle to form properly if it doesnt form properly it doesnt take the smoke nearly as well I also lighten up on the hot spices somewhat, I have people begging me for this stuff at work on a consistant basis, there are tons of great smoker recipes also on the recipe site from there http://www.susanminor.org/forums/
Tim

I think i would skip the alum and go for a double shot of J.D. instead ...:)

I agree with Scott & Wolf ect. for the glace;but also mix equal amounts of maple syrup,liq. honey(1/3 CUP EA.)add couple of shots of dark rum,a little hot water & stir.Apply liberally with a brush (place a cookie sheet on bottom to catch excess glaze then remove sheet).I use a Bradley,after glazing about 2-3hrs. before salmon is done i crank up the heat.You can experiment with the booze(even drink it) a sugar based liqour is best(rum,liqueur etc) ...enjoy sammy

Last edited by a moderator:
x2 on the dry brine. I cut my salmon into one inch wide strips before brining so I find 3 -4 hours is all the brining time I need. I find the brine and then the smoke permeates the fish better with the narrow strips.

Never heard of using alum. As a kid I remember tanning a few animal pelts using alum. Toughened them up nice and preserved them forever.... :D

After reading this thread I decided to try longer in the wet brine. I normally do overnight in the brine then dry fillets with a fan for a couple hours or overnight in the fridge on racks to dry.

I did 2 days in the wet brine, and I cut back on the salt.
It was the best smoked salmon I had ever done, and really takes the pressure off the fish smoking schedule. No worries if you can't get it done for a few days.

I find that leaving salmon in the brine overnight is usually adequate, and the smoking time is around 8 hours.

Heres the recipe i use for sockeye, chinook, and coho:

Soy Sauce - 1 cup
Water - 2 cups
Salt (Coarse) - 1/3 cup
Garlic Powder - 1 tablespoon
Brown sugar - 1 cup
Lousiana Hot sauce - 1 teaspoon

That recipe has worked well for me, and if I smoke white spring I increase the brown sugar to 1 and 1/2 cups just to sweeten the often milder white flesh. I also find that smoked salmon tastes better a couple of days after its done smoking; when its cold.

Back