Smoked Salmon Dip/Spread

TheBigGuy

I've seen a hundred smoked Salmon dip recipes and most are fairly basic. Like all my cooking and smoking I try to select ingredients from any recipe I see online and customize it to my own personal version. This is a very different recipe than I think you will see in other places because I tend to select items a little more out of the ordinary that compliment each other. Try my recipe and see what you think.

Ingredients:

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, (softened at room temp)
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sour cream (creme fraiche, or heavy whipping cream may be substituted)
8 ounces smoked salmon, finely chopped
2 tablespoons finely chopped capers, or to taste
2 tablespoons chopped green onion (optional)
1 apple, skinned, cored and finely diced (more is even better) Granny Smith is my fav for this
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
2 tablespoons finely chopped celery
4 tablespoons chopped fresh dill (more is even better)
1 tablespoon chopped pimento (optional)
1 finely chopped clove garlic
3 dashes Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp Sriracha hot pepper sauce, or 1/4 tsp cayenne, or 1 finely diced and seeded Thai hot red pepper
1 tsp creamed horseradish
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice, plus a little grated zest
1 finely chopped sweet pickled cocktail onion
1 teaspoon soy sauce
garnish with paprika

Combine the cream cheese and sour cream and mayo in a bowl and whip with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Stir in the smoked salmon and all other ingredients. Mix all ingredients briefly till well blended together.

If using a food processor instead of a mixer, reserve the smoked salmon, onion, celery and apples to mix by hand at the end. If the entire mixture goes through the food processor the finished texture is too smooth for my liking. I prefer a little more chunky texture for my spreads.

Mix all ingredients well and place in the refrigerator to chill (overnight is preferable). Once chilled it should be a fairly thick consistency suitable for spreading on bagels, baguettes, etc. If you would prefer to use as a dip you can thin out the spread by adding some whipping cream until it becomes the consistency you desire.

Serve with fancy crackers, vegetables, bagels, or rye bread. Delicious!

Last edited:
Back