smelly jelly

OldCrow

What are the views on scent? I have found that it seems to out produce spoons without scent, but I have also had some issues with it getting on the lines and causing unwanted downrigger clip releases.

I also left a spoon out on deck in the sun with the jelly on it and it appears to have burned/stained the glow side of the spoon.

Your experiences?

Works well on the smell part, but yes also creates issues on the rigger clips. Regardless of how careful you are wiping it off your hand it somehow finds its way onto the line and clips.

Works well on the smell part, but yes also creates issues on the rigger clips. Regardless of how careful you are wiping it off your hand it somehow finds its way onto the line and clips.

I keep a-box of wet wipes around just for that kind of thing

I use Scent on all my jigs and imo, is absolutely necessary if u want to be successful . Over the years I have noticed that amongst my friends that I fish with, the scent users are clearly more successful.

I use Scent on all my jigs and imo, is absolutely necessary if u want to be successful . Over the years I have noticed that amongst my friends that I fish with, the scent users are clearly more successful.
I concur, scent works. I think especially jigging if they swipe and miss, the scent will increase odds of another run at your lure. There have been some discussions on here and I can't remember who it was, maybe NOG but they suggested the X10 which I'll be debuting this summer so I'll let you know my thoughts on that product.

To avoid getting it on your hands and line you can buy it in larger squeeze bottles then just squeeze a tiny bead onto the spoon and flasher. Never have touch the stuff.

Nothing goes down without a drop or two of x10! Gums up hoochies after afew uses so I’m retying brand new ones often. Yes be careful using, can get everywhere very quickly and don’t let your brother-in-law throw spoons over the side.....stains the hell out of the gell coat!

What are the views on scent? I have found that it seems to out produce spoons without scent, but I have also had some issues with it getting on the lines and causing unwanted downrigger clip releases.

I also left a spoon out on deck in the sun with the jelly on it and it appears to have burned/stained the glow side of the spoon.

Your experiences?
OldCrow: I use scent on my spoons quite often and I believe it helps. I run a line on the back (nickel side) of my spoon of herring gel which will last for hours. I do not put scent on hootchies.
I also use the herring or anchovy gel on my jigs when fishing for salmon, lings, or halibut. I believe it helps, but I'm sure it doesn't hurt my results.
I have not had issues with getting it on lines as I apply directly from the bottle to the lures, never touching it myself.
...Rob

I use the anchoy pro cure jelly on spoons and it works like a charm for sure. But like you said getting it on your hands is never fun, stuff holds onto skin for dear life lol

Any ideas on cleaning the stuff off lines.I think that is why I’ve had a heck of a time with release clips. Dish soap fly line cleaner? Once I’ve cleaned lines I’m going to be using a Qtips for sure.

Any ideas on cleaning the stuff off lines.I think that is why I’ve had a heck of a time with release clips. Dish soap fly line cleaner? Once I’ve cleaned lines I’m going to be using a Qtips for sure.
Your problem might be the power grip “pads”. These get slick by wear, algae and/or scent. You can adjust tension by moving line deeper in jaws or using the built in adjuster on clip. I clean the pads by putting methol hydrate on a rag and run the pads through the rag. Good idea to replace the pads every few years for a couple bucks as well. With scent cleanliness is most important.

I tie up my hoochies with a piece of juice box straw as a spacer between the hook and a mylar insert. I fill that piece of straw with salmon smelly jelly. Seems to work well.

Great idea! I also tie a little bit of yarn on my upper hook and put scent on that too. Holds for a long time and you can take the yarn out for easy cleaning.

As for cleaning: I have a small plastic box on the boat I fill with a little fresh water and put some dish soap in it. After I'm done with a lure, I just toss it into that box until I'm home. Scrub with a dish brush in my kitchen sink with some hot water and soap, hang dry, put it back in your box. Done!

I haven't used bait or scent as the areas I primarily fish can be loaded with dogfish.

Any thoughts on not using scent on lures because of the dogfish? Does it make things any worse with them?

Back