Sleeping tent for back deck of boat.....

Tinny

My boat is a little too small for all 4 of us in the cabin but has a large back deck area. Was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a tent type/brand that they may be using on the back deck of their boat. Would obviously need something that does not need to be pinned with spikes and not really even sure if something like that exists. Anyways - let me know if any suggestions. Thanks.

Shouldn’t need to be pinned down with mattresses and sleeping bag in a safe anchorage or dock
Waterproof would be my main concern

Those pop-up tents work fine but the whole shebang will be soaking wet in the AM no way around that except in the driest days of summer.

Google "free standing tents" there's about a million, lots with huge flys that go all the way down that will keep you plenty dry. If you haven't tented much be aware how much moisture comes from your breath and keep it ventilated.

Google "free standing tents" there's about a million, lots with huge flys that go all the way down that will keep you plenty dry. If you haven't tented much be aware how much moisture comes from your breath and keep it ventilated.

Perfect - thanks for pointing me in the right direction. This will definitely be a June/July/August thing only.

There's another option that we use, I'd have room for a tent with the big dance floor on my little 19' aluminum but there's not much hangout room if it's rainy since I haven't bucked up for a camper top, I have a set up like below minus the sloper. I don't have any pics with me so I'll try to describe it! I have a tarp with bungee cord hooks in a bunch of the eyes that goes under my half camper and the hooks go around the first exposed support which would be the the second from the back in the pic below. This way any rain from the canvas stays on top of the tarp. The tarp is long enough to reach a foot beyond the front of the splash well at the back and wide enough to follow the canvas shape down the sides but hang down a foot below the gunwales. My down riggers are way aft just at the front edge of the splash well, I stand them up so the booms are vertical, then run one cable out enough to clip them together, tighten them up, then adjust the boom length to the right height. Now I have a cable a bit over 6' tall running across the back of the boat that I clip the other end of the tarp to, I use tarp clip like the ones below but keep them a foot back from the edge so the leftover tarp at the back can hang and overlap the rear section. So now the tarp is stretched from front to back with a flap on each side hanging a foot below the gunwale outside the boat. Then I have 2 pieces of rope that run from the bow eye down along each side a foot below the gunwale back to each stern eye. Each of these ropes gets weaved through the eyes on the sides of the tarp once fed through and tightened up they'll keep the sides tight and on the outside of the boat. Last step with another tarp trimmed to fit using more clips I hang a curtain from the rigger cable down to the height of the splash well, my rigger ball cradles are right against the transom in the splash well and the tarp gets clipped to the balls to keep the tarp tight and vertical. Pinch the back tarp and side tarp together on the vertical seam where they meet and hold them with a couple spring clamps on each side. Use clamps and clever trimming for the transition from the front edge of the tarp to the back edge of the canvas. Now you have a big enclosed area for lawn chairs and hanging out before the air mattress and sleeping bags go down for bed. For cooking and coffee I open the walk through windshield to stand in, leave the center section of the canvas down if it's raining and set up the bbq or stove on a cooler on the bow, way away from flammables and you have the dash as counter space. If it's not rainy at night the back can stay off or get rolled up and clamped in a bundle until bed. All white tarps for light. This works for us, I'm sure there's all kinds of ways you could tweak it for your boat, it sounds tedious but once you build it in the driveway it sets up in 10 minutes. Sorry for the novel!

HT-SC-Slopeback-940x705.jpg

14-5093-2T.jpg

impact_cc_450_abs_4_5_spring_clamp_1533642654_1329588.jpg

2 collapsable cots on the deck and tarp set up.

I spent a lot of time sleeping on my boat this past summer. Even in August, we would wake up damp with dew. And this was on Shuswap. I ended up just packing my canvas travel-back with us and putting it up every night. It worked great.

My boat is a little too small for all 4 of us in the cabin but has a large back deck area. Was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a tent type/brand that they may be using on the back deck of their boat. Would obviously need something that does not need to be pinned with spikes and not really even sure if something like that exists. Anyways - let me know if any suggestions. Thanks.
I have a kamp right tent cot that works great for a couple nights sleeping on deck plus is very versatile for beach camping I use on river trips it's great to set up on rocky areas plus we heat rocks and place under when really cold out

Back