Sky rocketing fuel prices

Bring on another $1 per litre if that means starving out those oil greedy dinos next door! May they suffocate in their bitumen soup, I don't want it here!
I wasn’t really against the pipeline until I just read Don K’s comment.

If that’s Alberta’s attitude then F them! When they come to BC they will be paying the big bucks for fuel too

Average Albertan doesn’t care much about the pipeline. After all, we are and will be neighbors. Those who put Canadians against Canadians are the big corps and the corrupt politicians of both sides. Main stream media is riding this wave and playing with public minds, depending on where the money is.

Honestly, I’m getting sick and tired of this pipeline s..t show. What’s happening in the NAFTA negotiations and the new US trade tarrifs will have a far broader impact on our financial sovereign than Kinder Morgan’s “shareholder reasources”.

A lot of mud being thrown around in here.

How many people here have ever actually been in the oil sands mine? on the pipeline? in the refinery? or upgrader? that supplies Canadas oil/fuel/gas/plastic/chemicals? I have. I work in them. Ask me anything. I am on site as I type this. I grew up on Vancouver Island and still live there today.

Canada's economy has long benefited from the energy sector including everyone on this forum. Canada's energy sector workers aren't some redneck hillbillys that are destroying the environment. They are men, women, and families making careers and wages that help support their future and support every other sector of the Canadian economy. They supply a product which is in huge demand. Fill up your boat? oil and lube changes? How about your car? Do you own an EV and how much energy and oil are used to create it? flights to mexico? how do you heat your home? ever taken the ferry? or bought something shipped from china? how do you get to work? Who delivers to your workplace or delivers your products? how does gasoline and natural gas get to the lower mainland and Vancouver Island? groceries? What products are in your home? How have YOU personally reduced you and your families dependence one oil and oil related products? We all know we don't live in cedar huts and hemp clothing. We partake in one of the most expensive hobbies there is to indulge our desire for the outdoors. It is energy dependent pipeline or not.

Canada is energy dependent like many (every) other countries in the world. We have a large land mass that is generally colder than most other countries and we are lucky to have one of the worlds largest proven oil/gas reserves. It is not viable for oil and gas development to stop overnight. Green sectors do not have the technology or capacity to supply demand for products that the world has built itself up off of. Canada is losing millions a day by not being able to get its product to tidewater and therefore are stuck selling at a discounted rate to our neighbors who refine and sell back to us. Or refine and ship globally at world market prices leaving Canada in the dust. That money off of royalties, wages, and economic stimulus could be used for any of Canada's budget including our country's ballooning debt.

Why does Canada import oil on the east coast from countries like Saudi, the middle east and Venezuela? Do you think they refine and upgrade oil on the same ethical and environmental field that Canada does?

Canada's energy sector is regulated, reviewed, scrutinized, and well planned. These pipelines support our daily lives and just because they are unpopular by a few outspoken people doesn't mean that they aren't in our societies best interest. I support the pipelines. I support lower costs for living. I support the coast and the environment.

Canada's energy sector workers aren't some redneck hillbillys that are destroying the environment. They are men, women, and families making careers and wages that help support their future and support every other sector of the Canadian economy. They supply a product which is in huge dem

Fish farms use this same propaganda nice try.

Corporate greed/propaganda herd it before

They do? News to me.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=high+voltage+power+lines+health+risks&t=ffnt&ia=web

Here you go, Lots to read. Ask an experienced realtor about the sale ability and price reductions necessary to unload a home located under high voltage power lines. I have heard that under some power transmission lines the field is so strong that you can hold up an old school florescent light tube on a dark night and it will glow. Also lots of controversy and debate much like fish farms and the related industries and even governments spend a great deal of resources and effort to counter the concerns. This is another debate where the opposing views are entrenched and is not going away any time soon.

By the way, my point with that comment was to throw the oil industry a bit of a bone and illustrate that there is no form of energy development devised by humans that is not without its downside or controversy.

Last edited:
Thinking I am about 15 minutes from Blaine so maybe before I hit the West Coast I should trailer down and put 450 litres of USA premium in my a boat. The Mr. border app this morning shows premium gas at $1.30 a litre Canadian and regular at $1.17 a litre. Dam ethanol. Over at Costco in Ferndale even less. At least that will cover the first 3 days of fishing. On another note to add fuel to the fire I see to my dismay BC Ferries has stopped the 1/2 price promotion for overheights on the early routes to Nanaimo from Tsawwassen. So much for the fare freeze for this year. Another example of the "corporate" spin.
Also I understand you are permitted on BC Ferries to transport 2-25 litre jerry cans secured in your boat. Every little bit helps.

I live on the island so I cannot fuel up by vehicle on the US side but I am curious. Does Customs (for Duty) have no problem with taking a big truck and boat down to the US for an hour or two and bringing back say $700.00 of fuel. I guess the issue would be the same if you took a large boat across by water and fueled up. This may be a dumb question. Is fuel put in a vehicle or boat exempt from duty or perhaps not enforced?

Last edited:
Thinking I am about 15 minutes from Blaine so maybe before I hit the West Coast I should trailer down and put 450 litres of USA premium in my a boat. The Mr. border app this morning shows premium gas at $1.30 a litre Canadian and regular at $1.17 a litre. Dam ethanol. Over at Costco in Ferndale even less. At least that will cover the first 3 days of fishing. On another note to add fuel to the fire I see to my dismay BC Ferries has stopped the 1/2 price promotion for overheights on the early routes to Nanaimo from Tsawwassen. So much for the fare freeze for this year. Another example of the "corporate" spin.
Also I understand you are permitted on BC Ferries to transport 2-25 litre jerry cans secured in your boat. Every little bit helps.

Be careful with the jerry cans i'm not sure that still applies as i know of 2 people made to fill the empty jerry cans with water before they where able to board the ferry.

This what the BC Ferry gasoline policies state. Looks like 2 for boats, 1 for RV .

Travelling with Gasoline and Propane Tanks
Gasoline Containers

Approved spare containers of gasoline are permitted on our ferries, but only in limited amounts. The containers cannot exceed 25L.

• RVs/vehicles may carry one spare container,
  • a boat towed behind a vehicle may carry two, and
  • a vehicle carrying a boat on top, may carry only one spare container.
  • Foot passengers are not allowed to carry gasoline on board.

I live on the island so I cannot fuel up by vehicle on the US side but I am curious. Does Customs (for Duty) have no problem with taking a big truck and boat down to the US for an hour or two and bringing back say $700.00 of fuel. I guess the issue would be the same if you took a large boat across by water and fueled up. This may be a dumb question. Is fuel put in a vehicle or boat exempt from duty or perhaps not enforced?

Good question.
I have a call into the Canadian border for clarification. Will get back to you with the official policy.

Cc.
They do? News to me.

I spent a few summers up at the mica creek dam site. As an on call fireman. About half the squirrels up there are covered in giant tumors. When I asked someone what the hell was up with the squirrels, the reply was they were caused by electromagnetic radiation coming off of the hi tension power lines.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=high+voltage+power+lines+health+risks&t=ffnt&ia=web

Here you go, Lots to read. Ask an experienced realtor about the sale ability and price reductions necessary to unload a home located under high voltage power lines. I have heard that under some power transmission lines the field is so strong that you can hold up an old school florescent light tube on a dark night and it will glow. Also lots of controversy and debate much like fish farms and the related industries and even governments spend a great deal of resources and effort to counter the concerns. This is another debate where the opposing views are entrenched and is not going away any time soon.

By the way, my point with that comment was to throw the oil industry a bit of a bone and illustrate that there is no form of energy development devised by humans that is not without its downside or controversy.

In that case, there should be a higher than normal rate of cancer among Hydro workers and people in the industry.

No such thing exists.

Anyway, off topic.

Cc.

I spent a few summers up at the mica creek dam site. As an on call fireman. About half the squirrels up there are covered in giant tumors. When I asked someone what the hell was up with the squirrels, the reply was they were caused by electromagnetic radiation coming off of the hi tension power lines.

Lol, it’s an old wives tale.

Back