Skeena 2019 update, by Bob Hooton

A race based fishery doesn’t serve the greater public good. I feel for dfo, many of their senior people will know these policies will end in a complete collapse in these fisheries. It happened in Atlantic Canada and we’re well underway here in BC. Let’s get our hatchery systems up and running at full capacity and let’s start marking 100% of our Chinook and coho salmon. Doing this gives us the information we need to fight this fight. We know recreational anglers aren’t killing off our fish. The marked fisheries will prove that. We won’t ever need to be shut down again because we’ll be catching tax payer funded salmon. Man made and paid for. Then all the user groups can help fund this program

I agree, we need to ramp up our hatchery programs - but current DFO management doesn't like hatcheries as they have sided with ENGO's in thinking that they are bad for wild fish (not to mention they cost $ to run). All would agree going with only wild fish is the better way to go, but this alone will not work anymore - too much population and industrial growth has changed the environment and the Wild Fish Policy over the last 20 years has failed. We need to supplement wild salmon with hatcheries using new improved techniques and designs that reduce some of the issues with hatchery fish to maintain struggling runs, feed orcas, sustain local communities. This will only happen if the public demands it from politicians to make it a priority for DFO to implement and maintain.

I agree, we need to ramp up our hatchery programs - but current DFO management doesn't like hatcheries as they have sided with ENGO's in thinking that they are bad for wild fish (not to mention they cost $ to run). All would agree going with only wild fish is the better way to go, but this alone will not work anymore - too much population and industrial growth has changed the environment and the Wild Fish Policy over the last 20 years has failed. We need to supplement wild salmon with hatcheries using new improved techniques and designs that reduce some of the issues with hatchery fish to maintain struggling runs, feed orcas, sustain local communities. This will only happen if the public demands it from politicians to make it a priority for DFO to implement and maintain.

I think we need to a full analysis. Hatcheries definitely need to be increased to help struggling runs. However, I think we need to always be careful to protect the wild runs. The whole ranching thing that the do up in Alaska bothers me and I'd prefer we are careful on where and how we ramp up hatchery production. Getting closer to 100% marked should be step 1, especially for Chinook.

Back