skagit-sauk-cr-steelhead-fishery-scratched-due-to-lower-run-forecast

Another favourite fishery closed. I am happy they closed it. If the numbers ain’t there I have zero issue not fishing.
Wish our fisheries managers would have the balls to close down or bring in regulations for some our flows that are a drop in the bucket compared to 4000 steelhead!

I feel like an onion these days. It seems like every time I hear any salmon or steelhead conservation news, it’s about another shut-down and there it goes, another layer of skin stripped away.

I fished the Thompson until March in the 80’s, then until last day of December in the 90’s up until they shut it down completely. I still have phantom limb syndrome on that river. Maybe phantom skin. Last month I had repeating dreams where just as I stepped in to the Hotel Run or the “Y”, the river turned to sand and my fly line lay motionless on a dune.

Then this winter my favorite river got shut down because they couldn’t get enough hatch brood stock for their egg take. Hatchery fish??? WTF....another layer....gone

Now the Sauk/Skagit. I caught my first winter-run steelhead on a fly on the Sauk back in the 70’s. They were special fish—-even when the water was cold they’d move for a fly. Boom. Another layer. Gone. And the Grande Ronde and Clearwater—-not enough returns. Shut down. Gone.

I sold my cabin on the Sol Duc....I could see the writing on that wall. Two months ago I pulled the plug on a new boat purchase after reading about impending MPA’s ——additional chinook fishing opportunities closing down.

Cyclical? Not to be the nattering nabob of negativism here, but I’d wager the word “cyclical” is the wishful thinking of someone like a fishing guide who makes his living on the back of a resource and he’s honing his optimism for another day by repeating the word “cycle” like a Buddhist mantra.

Meanwhile, I just saw the Feds in Alaska shut down the entire Gulf of Alaska Pacific cod fishery. When I used to sit in on fishery allocation meetings in Alaska back in the 80;s, that quota was over 200,000 MT. Now, I read that females aren’t spawning due to temperature increases and bio resource projections for that species have gone off a cliff. The remaining fish appear to be moving north into the Bering Sea looking for more favorable environmental conditions (i.e. colder water)

Meanwhile, First Nation crab fishermen in Nome reported that new thieves – cod and pollock – were robbing the bait from their pots....”new thieves”—— the unspoken meaning of that description is that cod and pollock historically didn’t show up that far north. Now here they are. Maybe a layer of skin stripped away for those guys, too.

And in Iceland the cod are moving north, replaced by mackerel. Someone’s shifting around the ocean furniture way faster then we projected this stuff would start happening and I’m not so convinced it’s going to be cyclical....

These things sit in the corner of my living room, sulking. What’s up, when are we getting out on the river they seem to be saying. Meanwhile, I’m starting to think they’re all going on Craigslist in the spring....with my 7 Avon inflatable rafts and my collection of Hardy Perfect Reels.....before the guys who think all this bad news is cyclical figure out the real reason...

E541548D-368A-4D94-ADAA-612C228E39A7.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes tough times with so many factors changing the thing we love the most & define us as a person....

Life long resident of Port Angeles, 49 years. Have spent every minute I could, Steelhead fishing some of the best steelhead water on earth, . Haven't wet a line for two years. Very sad indeed.

Oregon: Commission Denies Petition to Prohibit Wild Winter Steelhead Retention in SW Zone

SALEM, Ore.—The Fish and Wildlife Commission denied a petition to prohibit the retention of wild winter steelhead in rivers throughout the SW Zone via temporary rule in a split vote (4-2).

The Commission heard from more than 50 people who signed up to testify for and against the petition. ODFW staff had recommended Commissioners deny this petition as staff do not have a conservation concern for wild winter steelhead on the south coast for 2020. The declines in wild steelhead in other parts of the state have not been observed in the SW Zone and current regulations are already conservative. Also, staff continue to work on a multi-species conservation plan for the Rogue and South Coast where concerns about wild steelhead are being addressed. Commissioners denied a similar petition in 2018.

The Commission also:

• Approved a fish screening payment-in-lieu pilot program, where qualifying applicants in the SE fish district would have the option of paying a fee to the fish screening sub-account for use on other projects instead of installing a fish screen.
  • Adopted schedule of damages for commercial fishing violations, which are based on food fish species market values.
  • Heard a briefing on ODFW’s draft Climate and Ocean Change Policy and a summary of public comments received to date. The Policy would provide overarching guidance on responding to changing climate and ocean conditions, including coordination of the response with other state, federal, local and tribal entities and incorporating climate and ocean change awareness into ODFW’s science and resource management. The Commission is expected to adopt a final Policy later in the year.
Finally, Commissioners appointed Greg Wolley Vice-Chair.

The Fish and Wildlife Commission is the policy-making body for fish and wildlife issues in the state. Its next meeting is Friday, Feb. 7 in Tigard. On Thursday, Feb. 6, Commissioners will be at ODFW’s booth at the Pacific Northwest Sportsmen’s Show at the Portland Expo Center to chat with hunters and anglers who stop by the booth. More details including what times Commissioners will be at ODFW’s booth will be announced in early February.

###

Michelle Dennehy, (503) 947-6022
(503) 931-2748
Michelle.N.Dennehy@state.or.us

I feel like an onion these days. It seems like every time I hear any salmon or steelhead conservation news, it’s about another shut-down and there it goes, another layer of skin stripped away.

I fished the Thompson until March in the 80’s, then until last day of December in the 90’s up until they shut it down completely. I still have phantom limb syndrome on that river. Maybe phantom skin. Last month I had repeating dreams where just as I stepped in to the Hotel Run or the “Y”, the river turned to sand and my fly line lay motionless on a dune.

Then this winter my favorite river got shut down because they couldn’t get enough hatch brood stock for their egg take. Hatchery fish??? WTF....another layer....gone

Now the Sauk/Skagit. I caught my first winter-run steelhead on a fly on the Sauk back in the 70’s. They were special fish—-even when the water was cold they’d move for a fly. Boom. Another layer. Gone. And the Grande Ronde and Clearwater—-not enough returns. Shut down. Gone.

I sold my cabin on the Sol Duc....I could see the writing on that wall. Two months ago I pulled the plug on a new boat purchase after reading about impending MPA’s ——additional chinook fishing opportunities closing down.

Cyclical? Not to be the nattering nabob of negativism here, but I’d wager the word “cyclical” is the wishful thinking of someone like a fishing guide who makes his living on the back of a resource and he’s honing his optimism for another day by repeating the word “cycle” like a Buddhist mantra.

Meanwhile, I just saw the Feds in Alaska shut down the entire Gulf of Alaska Pacific cod fishery. When I used to sit in on fishery allocation meetings in Alaska back in the 80;s, that quota was over 200,000 MT. Now, I read that females aren’t spawning due to temperature increases and bio resource projections for that species have gone off a cliff. The remaining fish appear to be moving north into the Bering Sea looking for more favorable environmental conditions (i.e. colder water)

Meanwhile, First Nation crab fishermen in Nome reported that new thieves – cod and pollock – were robbing the bait from their pots....”new thieves”—— the unspoken meaning of that description is that cod and pollock historically didn’t show up that far north. Now here they are. Maybe a layer of skin stripped away for those guys, too.

And in Iceland the cod are moving north, replaced by mackerel. Someone’s shifting around the ocean furniture way faster then we projected this stuff would start happening and I’m not so convinced it’s going to be cyclical....

These things sit in the corner of my living room, sulking. What’s up, when are we getting out on the river they seem to be saying. Meanwhile, I’m starting to think they’re all going on Craigslist in the spring....with my 7 Avon inflatable rafts and my collection of Hardy Perfect Reels.....before the guys who think all this bad news is cyclical figure out the real reason..

View attachment 50250

Yes, my fellow sufferer, I have experienced the same fate as you. I cherish the memories of a life-bursting ocean around Vancouver Island and rivers crammed full of all species of native fish. It is a tragedy of the saddest degree. But there are still a number of people arguing that there is nothing wrong with building new oil pipelines and ripping out more oil out of the ground so humans can pump even more CO2 into the atmosphere. "Because how bad can it really be? Jobs are important, the economy, right?"
Granted, those people become fewer and fewer but the damage is already done for so much precious that we used to take for granted. The kids now will never see again what we old guys were still privileged to experience. And we were part of the problem, remembered in future history books as the the greedy generation that ruined so much. The few years I have left I am trying to change my ways as much as possible - live much more responsible and less wasteful. Had we done this already 50 years ago - and we easily could have before the oil trap completely got us (one example: remember when they ripped out the tracks of electric street cars in every north american city for GM busses? What a lunacy having bought into this at that time!) - we probably could have saved much of what's lost today and what more will be lost over the next few decades. I won't see the full extent of the change and I am glad I won't. Having seen what I still saw, it would break my heart. Life will go on somehow and the kids will be smarter than us and at some point find a new equilibrium in this world whatever that may look like. But they won't be experiencing the special thrill of a steelhead rising to a fly in a BC river nor the battle of a BC tyee in the ocean.

Back