Single seat instead of sleeper

SSwilson92

I'm looking at installing a single seat at the helm replacing the sleeper seats on the one side only for a higher up position and to make a little more room in a 16 footer. Anyone had experience doing this and have any suggestions on brands/sizes/positioning. Cheers!

I got rid of the 2 sleeper seats in my double eagle and installed 2 garelick seats with swivels and an aluminum storage box under them. Will post pics soon

There are some great examples shown. I did a similar 4 chair swivel style to French creek’s layout but with carpeted boxes like Clint. The boxes are extremely valuable for storage in boats of our size.
I will likely never have 4 people in my 17’ boat so I would’ve been happy with 2 and 1 also, but the fact that I can swivel mine to face inwards mean the 4th seat doesn’t really get in the way.
The tempress seats are the best bang for the buck IMO. I will attach pics tomorrow too.

Last edited:
This is my interior of the 17’ DE. As mentioned above the boxes are super handy for storage. These seats are the wise brand which are decent, but I’d say tempress are better. These 4 wise seats might go up for sale soon so I can get 3 of the tempressF3EA237C-91A8-4DA8-A6FA-F99DCD8A0253.jpeg

This is my interior of the 17’ DE. As mentioned above the boxes are super handy for storage. These seats are the wise brand which are decent, but I’d say tempress are better. These 4 wise seats might go up for sale soon so I can get 3 of the tempressView attachment 38686
I like your setup there Stizzla.How do you access the boxes?Do they tilt forward or aft on hinges?Thinking about doing away with my sleeper seats on my 16'DE and doing the same.A picture would be great if possible.FF

My boxes are made of a 2x2 frame and 3/4” plywood so they are pretty solid. The lid fits inside the box and the framework is 3/4” below the top of the box sides so it drops in flush. You can just pop the lid and seats right out, if you’re strong like me.
I’ll take pics again tomorrow

image.jpeg I removed the sleeper and built this, theres a 2 burner propane stove oven that goes on the back. One day i'll build one for the other side with a sink and with a watertank and hotwater on demand under.

My boxes are made of a 2x2 frame and 3/4” plywood so they are pretty solid. The lid fits inside the box and the framework is 3/4” below the top of the box sides so it drops in flush. You can just pop the lid and seats right out, if you’re strong like me.
I’ll take pics again tomorrow
I see what your saying.Thinking about the Temptress seats as well.Just cant decide whether to go with the high backs or low backs.How do you like your high backs?

I like the support of a high back. It’s definitely personal preference. If you live near a bass pro or cabelas they often have them on display to test. I sat in one just after I got mine from amazon and wished I had waited.

Thanks for everyone’s input! I’m going to go check out a few this weekend. The tempress looks good and their prices seem reasonable. I love the boxes Stizzla but I think I’m going to go single with a pedastal on the helm side for now. My seating position needs to be pretty low to travel with the canvas on as it’s quite low to begin with. I like the pedastale to jack up my eyeline above the windshield when the top is down. Should have installed by next week and will post some pics. Thanks to everyone for the input great info and ideas here. Cheers!

Thanks for everyone’s input! I’m going to go check out a few this weekend. The tempress looks good and their prices seem reasonable. I love the boxes Stizzla but I think I’m going to go single with a pedastal on the helm side for now. My seating position needs to be pretty low to travel with the canvas on as it’s quite low to begin with. I like the pedastale to jack up my eyeline above the windshield when the top is down. Should have installed by next week and will post some pics. Thanks to everyone for the input great info and ideas here. Cheers!
You’ll have nothing in the way to race to the rods to land those double headers of 50 pounders.

I saw this seat setup on here at some point. this is what I plan on building when I get rid of the starboard side sleeper seats. Lots of storage and can put a cushion on the rear box if needed. I don't ever have 4 people in my boat though.

Attachments

• IMG_6250.PNG
    IMG_6250.PNG
    911.8 KB · Views: 39
If a smaller boat ( mine has a sleeping area in the Cuddy) is intended for sport fishing the only advantage of sleeper seats is that for say a high entrance fee Derby you can sleep on the boat in the marina and be up and ready to go in the dark. The other advantage of sleeping on it is that it will be fully outfitted and ready to go with riggers on etc. which makes it a target for thieves whether it is in the slip or in your driveway. So sleeping on it will speed things up in the morning and be a deterrent to thieves. Lots of guys have gone out to the driveway after putting all there gear on the boat and got it all ready for an early start only to find their high end fishing and boat gear gone. I guess you could sleep on the deck if its covered and large enough.

Back