Silver Streak or Thunder Jet

One other consideration w/ the TJ's vs most other manufacturers is that their extended transoms are a motor bracket welded off the back of the actual transom as compared to an extension of the bottom of the boat in a continuous piece w/ the pod as many other manufacturers do, including SS. As a result an 18' SS will have a 20' bottom while an 18' TJ will be 18'.

Both are amazing boats and will last a lifetime. Most of us have to accept trade offs when purchasing so key is to spend time in each boat and consider the features that mean the most to you and your family/ crew. Only you can determine what tradeoffs or shortcomings you can live with and what specs/features you can't do without.

Last thing, go w/ 115hp or more for an 18+ ft aluminum. I have the Yammy f115 on my 180ET Searunner and it strikes a great performance/fuel economy balance. 150hp would not be too much power for my boat but 90hp would be significantly underpowered.

Cheers!

Ukee

One other consideration w/ the TJ's vs most other manufacturers is that their extended transoms are a motor bracket welded off the back of the actual transom as compared to an extension of the bottom of the boat in a continuous piece w/ the pod as many other manufacturers do, including SS. As a result an 18' SS will have a 20' bottom while an 18' TJ will be 18'.

Both are amazing boats and will last a lifetime. Most of us have to accept trade offs when purchasing so key is to spend time in each boat and consider the features that mean the most to you and your family/ crew. Only you can determine what tradeoffs or shortcomings you can live with and what specs/features you can't do without.

Last thing, go w/ 115hp or more for an 18+ ft aluminum. I have the Yammy f115 on my 180ET Searunner and it strikes a great performance/fuel economy balance. 150hp would not be too much power for my boat but 90hp would be significantly underpowered.

Cheers!

Ukee

The pod being a part of the bottom is a big reason I am leaning to the SS.

Thunderjet
Cons
Plywood covered vinyl flooring will rot in about 10-15 years and have to be replaced
Some models have Carpeted gunnels - hold fish blood and dirt

Silver streak
Pros
All aluminum construction - no plywood or vinyl in their boats
no carpet to keep clean

Paint as little as possible. Once you scratch it you will thank me.

Does anyone else think some of the Thunderjets look kinda cheesy with the all the weird paint colours and checkerplate?

Wow, didn't know that TJ's have vinyl covered plywood floors! I would not buy one because of this. Why would you buy an aluminum boat for its durability and low maintenance that has a wood floor that will rot out and need to be replaced?

Wow, didn't know that TJ's have vinyl covered plywood floors! I would not buy one because of this. Why would you buy an aluminum boat for its durability and low maintenance that has a wood floor that will rot out and need to be replaced?
Hewescrafts also have this. Dealer said it's because of the weight savings and that aluminum floors sag over time unless you go thicker which then makes it more heavy. My floor isn't rotten but the vinyl eventually tears from scuffing and looks like ****. My floor fishbox also is screwed into the plywood and had completely reamed out the holes so the box just lifts out if you pull up. I'm due for new floors and will move to all aluminum for sure.

BTW, The newer hewes boats switched to diamond plate floors but are still resting on plywood.

Yup
The pod being a part of the bottom is a big reason I am leaning to the SS.

Yup the pod on the SilverStreak is great, welded on as part of the bottom of the hull, with foam floatation is adds an extra 2 ft. to your boat. Can walk out of it and improves the ride, handling and weight distribution of the boat.

Reactions: Fox
2 completely different boats. Silverstreak is a great custom welded boat....tougher than nails and you can add in the items during the build you want. Thunderjet is a nice looking production boat, but it is built lighter. Bottom and sides are lighter. As an example of the differnece ask yourself "Do you want aluminum decks or vinyl over plywood decks?"

I just had a Northwest custom built and it is bulletproof and 100% aluminum in construction. It is a commercial grade boat in all aspects. I had looked at a lot of boats over the past few years and decided to custom build so I have the features I want. (I currently have a 23' CQAC aluminum so I had a baseline to work from).

My advice ..... custom build or buy a used one (as they really don't go bad).

The pod being essentially a hull extension makes a huge difference. My friend has a 19' ocean sport and added a 3' pod/hull extension and it's a completely different boat now. Doesn't pound through chop anymore, faster to get on plane, the list goes on. SS all the way.

I have a 18' Silver Streak which is the Challenger model. It has the 2' pod on it and also has the locking cabin. It's great for fishing out of and really nice when the weather is not so great. Very well built and we are happy with the way it handles on the water.

Have been away so unable to answer everyones comments. A friend has the challenger model the boat I am looking at is the 18ft Race Rocks or the 18ft. carmanah . I am thinking they are being built to compete with the Hewes and the Thunder Jets they are priced fairly close with the same hull thickness. The Challenger is 18ft6 I believe and is a lot more heavy duty.

Well today I bought my new Silver Streak 18ft Carmanah with a 115 Yamaha. I"m sure I made the best choice thanks everyone for the advice. All I have left to decide is if I want the nylic on the hull.

Well today I bought my new Silver Streak 18ft Carmanah with a 115 Yamaha. I"m sure I made the best choice thanks everyone for the advice. All I have left to decide is if I want the nylic on the hull.
Sounds like a nice combo , any pics yet ?

ThunderJet has a lifetime warranty on their vinyl covered plywood floors.

Back