Side Imaging Sonar

Last Chance

Admin
Staff member
So I finally decided to try one of these damn things out. I ordered a Humminbird 798ci SI today from GPSCITY.CA for under a grand. I got a month to return it, so if it has the effect that I want it to have on the Early Times Fraser fish, I'll use it in conjunction with my Raymarine unit.

I'll put up a review and some pictures when I try it out.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

Well, I finally got mself an 898C SI From Humminbird. Tried it out, it is amazing when looking at structure in less then 100 feet of water! I saw crab traps on the bottom in the harbour, and great detail at Ogden Point. However, once you are over 100 feet, it really doesn't show you much in the way of structure detail, but it did show bait fish suspended to either side of the boat, which was neat. If I was fishing in less then 100 feet, I'd have one, but I frequently fish deeper then that. At Less then 100 feet down it really does look like a photograph of the bottom.

Would I buy on as a primary sonar/GPS? Yes, because it was damn good. Would I replace what I have with it? No, beacuse it is not quite good enough, but anyone outfitting a boat would be well advised to check one out. The 898C is the MINIMUM screen size I would consider, but the bigger ones are not a lot more, and damn cheaper then Lowrance, which requires you to buy an expensive head unit, then an 800 transducer. The Humminbird transducer came with the unit, it came with the GPS antenna, and is network ready.

www.swiftsurebank.com

Kelly, are the integrated base maps detailed enough in our area
or do you need a data card ?
seen these units as low as $1369 on the internet, which is pretty reasonable for the equipment you are getting....

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

Kelly, are the integrated base maps detailed enough in our area
or do you need a data card ?
seen these units as low as $1369 on the internet, which is pretty reasonable for the equipment you are getting....

You still need a data card. I got my unit from Cabellas. It's sitting behind me right now waiting to go back, but I paid 1600 for it because duty and shipping would kill me. It was really a great unit, you should see what some of the shallower rock piles looked like in Oak Bay..

www.swiftsurebank.com

That pretty much confirms everything what I have read and heard about those units too. Too bad this technology does not work in deeper water - yet.

Those Humminbirds ARE NICE!Just picked up and installed the 957c unit on the 17 Whaler..Probably overkill but I sure like that BIG screen.Now I can see it in the aft chair :)Saved maybe 500bucks compared to a Lowrance with that screen size.Maybe I'll see bottom at 1400 ft!

I looked at the Humminbirds but noticed that the Lowrance HDS with structurescan works down to 300 feet as opposed to the birds at 150. I am getting the HDS-8 with structurescan in the next few weeks. I'll post a review when I get a chance to try it out.

Hey mudslide: what do you need for this structure scan feature? And what would you expect from it? I recently bought the HDS7 and am therefore naturally interested in further options.

Had to go out and try the new Humminbird ...very impressed with it compared to the Lowrance 5 inch screen.No fish out off Nanaimo this evening but had fun pushing buttons:D

Back