Should I buy a boat?

I have my big rig but I still love to take my 8' inflatable up to the okanagan to fish lakes. Even when we're cruising somwhere my wife and I go out on the tender and jig for a while in the protected bays. Lots of fun on small boats. We have a 2.5 HP kicker that stores easily and doesn't need a separate tank. Not fast but it does the job.

I have a small aluminum boat. 14 footer. It’s fine in the ocean on calm days and it’s great for lakes (with a boat launch). I’ve owned bigger boats but this is perfect for my needs. Cheap to run and maintain, you can tow it with anything and you can easily fish lake or ocean.

The 14 foot tinny, in my opinion, is one of the most versatile boats out there.

I say go for it.

i grew up on a 14 Lund with a 9.9 as the main in CR. so many memories ! best part is this type of boat is good in the lake as well

My son has a 14 Lund WC with a 20 yami it's a great package good on fuel lots of get up and go if there's a few of his buddies in it. 12 to 14 theres a big difference in sea worthiness and freeboard much higher compared to the average 12ft. A 14 is a fair amount heavier though and you will need a trailer where as the 12 foot you can man handle by your self from the box of your truck into the water. Was going to get my son a 12ft and a good friend of mine and a well known member on here from Tofino said get a 14 and glad we did as it's a much safer boat in the ocean.

I miss my old 14’ WC Lund. Had a merc 15hp two stroke on it. Sold it when we had kids... we used to run 20 miles to a favourite fishing hole. Many a fish caught in it. One tank of fuel in the big boat would last all year in 14’ lol

Lots of testimonials for the 14 Lund. Really solid boats. I really love mine. A cheap, safe way to fish.

Another Lund owner here. 2012 SSV-14. Owned it for 3 years now. As other Lund owners on this thread have said, excellent boat. Very stable. Cheap to maintain and run. Can launch them anywhere. Easy to clean, just hose it down. Also can’t sink them. Just need to pick your days if hitting the salt.

If you happen to go with a 12 footer, get a trailer. Just launch and go. No hauling everything to the water then set up. I know some guys have this down to a fine science but if you think you won’t get out much, you won’t go at all if launching is too much of a process.

As Reelslim stated. You need 3 boats period.

-Small inflatable or kayak to access small waters, no motor waters or use as tender for big boat.
-12 ft lund is a must, trailer, small downriggers, 9.9 4 stroke, set up for lakes with electric motor also, can use close to shore saltwater on those perfect flat days, and
-your class of ocean boat, 17 ft + to do all you want on the ocean.

Starting out, a rigged small relatively cheap, easy to tow, next to no maintenance, 12-14 ft deep V riveted aluminum boat is a MUST have first boat. Love my Lund. I see no negatives to having such a boat, and yes when you have one you will fish more and more. Then the footitis disease hits?????

Buy one and enjoy.

HM

In a perfect world, where money was no object I would have:

16-18 welded, maybe tiller maybe cc. Fresh/salt prawning/crabbing/trout/machine.
Ski boat
Big, serious, overnight, big water fish killer that could support weeklong trips.

Those are my 3 boats

Stability is relative - could you sit on the gunnel of a 14' Lund? On a Livingston you can.

I can on mine. 70in beam on the ssv. 69in on the WC. But this does not make or break a boat purchase. Lots of good tinnies out there. Get what works for you. I prefer one with neutral buoyancy.

Hi everyone, I'm new here and looking for advice on whether or not to buy a boat.

I'm not very experienced in fishing but have gone 1-2 times per year over the past ten or so years. I always enjoy it and want to go more often and learn more. I'm thinking of getting a small boat for lake fishing, but I don't know if it's worth it for me. I'd be buying a small used boat and likely aluminum because I am towing it behind my hatch back. I think if I got my own boat I’d probably end up going 4 or 5 times per year, which I know is still not a lot but it would allow me to go more easily for more day trips and to visit new lakes. In the past I’ve always stayed at a fishing resort and rented a boat.

anyhow, I’m wondering if for the cost of the initial purchase and upkeep if it makes sense for me. I know it is really a matter of opinion but I’m looking for some perspective!

any advice on buying a first used boat is helpful as well.

thanks in advance
Lauren
a boating authority was speaking to boaters at a boating forum a few years ago when someone asked:with the initial cost,moorage,fuel and upkeep how can you justify a boat? You can't he replied. You do it you love going out or you take up knitting,skydiving or skiing.

Here's a pic of my sons biggest salmon he caught the first summer in his 14 tinny you can see the boat on the beach needless to say he's got the bug :) The boats seen a lot of big fish over the last couple of years, July August just outside the harbour approx a 5 minute run from our place.

IMG_1166.jpeg

iu

I vote, buy the boat! :)

Last edited:
Back