Shore casting Maui

B

Bodie

I'm going to Maui (Napili Bay) for 10 days and thought I'd take my spin gear with me. Anybody have any idea what kind of lures I should take?

Paul

I'm going there to snorkel with the tropical fish and drink rum. We feed them frozen peas. Not sure I've seen a lure that size or shape. Leave them alone. :D
I have seen guys with longer casting rods chucking lead and bait way out into the straight off the rocks near Bay Road behind Kapalua. (Look it up on Google earth). There are even some old permanent rod holders cemented into the rocks there.

Since my original post I've found some sites with information which makes it sound like the fish there will hit pretty much anything that moves...fast. Buzz bombs/zzingers crossed my mind, as well as some of the larger, heavier spinners and spoons in my collection. If none of them work, I'm sure there are tackle shops there that would be more than happy to sell me whatever is currently hot in the area.

Paul

Bringing up this older post b/c we are heading there early to mid December. I have been contemplating bring along a telescoping rod/reel combination. I have neither nor do I profess to know anything about what is good/better/best. Looking for a rod /reel for what appears to be 2 - 10 lb fish. Any advice from anyone who has fished there or in similar waters with such a set up would be appreciated. Thanks.

Fishing in Hawaii is much tougher than you might expect. Maui Fun Charters is good, I have been several times and they are a quality operation that offers fair value. There is an old fishpond off of North Kihei (you can see it on google earth) that produces. Not sure about the Napili Bay area though. A bait rig with squid seems to be the local standard, but I have caught barracuda and other fish on Rapalas and Kastmasters (one old dude swore by those). Be careful on any shoreline, rogue waves can provide a nasty surprise.

Bringing up this older post b/c we are heading there early to mid December. I have been contemplating bring along a telescoping rod/reel combination. I have neither nor do I profess to know anything about what is good/better/best. Looking for a rod /reel for what appears to be 2 - 10 lb fish. Any advice from anyone who has fished there or in similar waters with such a set up would be appreciated. Thanks.

Be careful with the almost full moon. We were there for that period a year ago and won’t go again. The beaches were shut down for huge waves. We did get out fishing on a boat, but no luck. I never even thought about the full moon and the huge tides in Hawaii but will look before booking next time. Just a heads up.

Oly

I'm going to Maui (Napili Bay) for 10 days and thought I'd take my spin gear with me. Anybody have any idea what kind of lures I should take?

Paul
I fished there a few years back with a cheap rod right off the main Kamaole beaches (mostly 1, I think). My 7-year old was (and still is) obsessed with fishing so we got a rod and reel cheap, bought some weight and a few hooks and some squid at a grocery story. We just waded in up to our knees and chucked it as far as we could. He got 7 in an hour or something crazy -- jackfish and trevally mostly. You could eat them, but we just released. Basic Carolina rig worked great.

Just got back from Maui, didn’t do any fishing but watched a couple guys cast out what looked like a weighted buck tail fly. They had a fish (small) on every cast. The big ones weren’t biting. I did the charter last year as the big storm went by, some big swells and upon return to Wailea the waves had taken away the beaches sand. Locals said never seen that and said stay outa the water. Last year I hit the jackpot out with Start me up fishing with Jon &John. It was the 2;30am departure and we caught 29 assorted mahi mahi, ono, river runner the the 451lb marlin. I checked on them at the dock this year and that same trip landed 4 fish.

Just got back from Maui, didn’t do any fishing but watched a couple guys cast out what looked like a weighted buck tail fly. They had a fish (small) on every cast. The big ones weren’t biting. I did the charter last year as the big storm went by, some big swells and upon return to Wailea the waves had taken away the beaches sand. Locals said never seen that and said stay outa the water. Last year I hit the jackpot out with Start me up fishing with Jon &John. It was the 2;30am departure and we caught 29 assorted mahi mahi, ono, river runner the the 451lb marlin. I checked on them at the dock this year and that same trip landed 4 fish.
Any idea if any of these charter companies offer processing? I’m there in December but would be nice to bring some mahi home vac sealed. I assume most is sold by the charters to restaurants though?

I was able to take back about 8 fillets which we had for dinners and lunches over the next week. Didn’t see any processing being done for shipping sorry. The Marlin goes through a procedure then it gets smoked and is sold locally. The extra fish we caught also gets sold to local resteraunts, they swoosh it away from the docks pretty quick.

Any idea if any of these charter companies offer processing? I’m there in December but would be nice to bring some mahi home vac sealed. I assume most is sold by the charters to restaurants though?
On a lot of charters there the crew keeps the fish. You may want to get that sorted out before you go

I have fished the beaches all over Maui while the wife and kids played.

squid and Taco ( prawn) with a pyramid type weight and whip it out in a area with a sand bottom is by far the most productive

Lures also produce but not as effective as bait

FYI- fresh bait will attract every fish around but spoiled bait is a waste of your effort. Once squid gets a red tinge it’s time to toss it away so I always packed small ziplocks with a few pre cut pieces on ice in a cooler.

I have caught some nice size jacks at the park with the whale in Kihei, Kalama park ?

Thanks for all the replies and advice. Have done the charter piece in the past. This time around, we are just planning to spend some time casting into the bays to see what might be around. Appreciate the advice on baits over lures and places to cast.

Anybody have any advice on telescoping rods? I know it is simpler to rent while there but why turn down an opportunity to add to the collection? Lots of options on Amazon for sure...

I have not had good luck with telescoping rods. they always seem to get stuck or break - even a shimano one I tried.

I would buy a 4 piece medium heavy spinning travel rod aroun 7-8 feet with case that fits in your luggage and bring a spinning reel with braid and top shot of mono.

I use a rapala 4 piece 9’6” and a decent saltwater spinning reel with 30lb braid and then mono leaders or top shot

I believe it’s a rapala Baja ? It’s decent quality comes in a hard tube that I can sneak some extra fishing gear into as well. I just take it as a carry on. I take it every time we go somewhere I want to try some shore casting

Back