Shining a light on the Alaskan "Wild" Salmon

Barbender

VICTORIA – If you go to the grocery store and buy a can of sockeye salmon right now, chances are it will say “product of U.S.A.” on the label.

The can I’m holding was sold as a house brand at a large B.C. supermarket chain. The label states the ingredients – sockeye salmon and salt – along with Canada’s mandatory nutrition facts chart. It doesn’t specify that it’s from Alaska, which it likely is, but it does have a logo that says “wild Pacific salmon,” which is, to say the least, debatable.

With some B.C. sockeye runs in an apparent state of collapse, our commercial and even aboriginal food fisheries banned this year, Alaska and Washington state fisheries are relatively strong. The reason for this is the U.S. practice of salmon 'ranching,' where billions of salmon fry are raised in tanks, fed pellets until they’re big enough and then released to sea.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada has long resisted this technique, which produces a massive meat fishery at the expense of genetic diversity and the ocean habitat truly wild salmon depend on. In a seagoing version of the American west, ranched salmon are grazing the commons bald as wild herds disappear. In political terms, salmon ranching has become the prop that holds up the western U.S. commercial and aboriginal fishery.

The implications for B.C. are frightening.

Washington state is currently defending a lawsuit brought by area native tribes, demanding that millions be focused on repairing state highways where culverts have cut off salmon streams. Last week the state called its Recreation and Conservation Office representative, Jeffrey Koenings, to testify about the urgent need for site-specific programs and targeted harvesting of hatchery fish, rather than just opening the rest of the range to the ranched herds.

Ranched Pacific salmon don’t just flood the whole West Coast habitat, they interbreed freely with wild stocks. The Americans ranch chum, pink and Chinook as well as sockeye. As a result, Koenings testified in a Seattle court Oct. 23, all but four of Puget Sound’s 22 watersheds are now dominated by hatchery fish. He warned that if the state focuses strictly on access work now, they will soon dominate the rest and the state’s wild salmon will be gone.

As I described last week, none of this is discussed in B.C. political circles. Here it’s all about the alleged evils of fish farms. Why? According to research brought to my attention last week, one reason is a staggeringly big negative marketing campaign financed by U.S. private foundations to discredit farmed salmon as a food source.

Former Kitimat resident Vivian Krause has assembled a heavily documented critique of the campaign, which has flooded North American media with exaggerated warnings, first about PCBs in farmed salmon, and now about the hazards of sea lice.

In the past two years, Krause has pestered two of B.C.’s environmental demigods, David Suzuki and Alexandra Morton, to detail the extent of the funding their foundations have accepted to take part in a “demarketing” campaign that demonizes fish farms and coincidentally benefits Alaska and Washington interests.

She documents that the David Suzuki Foundation has received more than $10 million from these U.S. sources.

Few understand the impact of this slick “farmed and dangerous” campaign better than Port McNeill Mayor Gerry Furney, whose community lost a salmon processing plant last year because of it.

Furney notes that the same U.S. foundations attacked B.C.’s logging industry more than a decade ago, with similarly dubious claims in full-page ads in the New York Times.

Next week: North to Alaska.

Tom Fletcher is legislative reporter and columnist for Black Press and BCLocalnews.com

Hmm… I guess Tom Fletcher doesn’t do very through research or he would know that “can I’m holding” was probably caught and processed in “good old” British Columbia? http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/omfd/fishstats/graphs-tables/wild-salmon.html But then that would not serve his needs, would it?
“Sockeye
The Fraser River is not the only system that produces sockeye so we are still seeing a very limited supply of wild BC sockeye in the local market as produced in the Nass River and Barkley Sound in June and July.#65533; The run size of Barkley Sound on the west coast of Vancouver Island, BC (by Ucluelet) was actually upgraded from pre-season expectations during the season.#65533; The Skeena River however did not see any fishing openings for sockeye this year because of lower returns.”
http://www.bcsalmon.ca/files/release_1.html

quote:Fisheries and Oceans Canada has long resisted this technique, which produces a massive meat fishery at the expense of genetic diversity and the ocean habitat truly wild salmon depend on. In a seagoing version of the American west, ranched salmon are grazing the commons bald as wild herds disappear. In political terms, salmon ranching has become the prop that holds up the western U.S. commercial and aboriginal fishery.
Hmm… again. I guess he doesn’t know DFO has embraced “open pen” rearing of “hatchery” fish for years (maybe he should read Conuma Hatchery history) and also note, none of their pens seem to have disease or sea lice problems.

quote:According to research brought to my attention last week, one reason is a staggeringly big negative marketing campaign financed by U.S. private foundations to discredit farmed salmon as a food source.
All I can say here is, “just brought to your attention”? Tom… where have you been for the “last” four years and what "rock" have you been hiding under? Vivian Krause wrote that letter in 2007, “Published Date: 2007/9/28 0:20:00”, I have the link if anyone wants to read it?

That’s an interesting statement made about Port McNeill, “loses a processing plant last year because of it”? I find that hard to believe that was the reason, as Marine Harvest announced they are opening a processing plant in Los Angeles?

Oh, forgot… It is no secret that the State of Washington decimated their salmon runs and 90% of the salmon are a direct result of hatcheries. It is also no secret we are spending millions - trying to correct our prior “stupidity”, to include the prior mistakes and problems from “genetics”! It is also no secret 75% of the salmon (both commercial and sport) caught of the WCVI are U.S. bound. Where do you think those fish are headed, the “Fraser”? Maybe DFO and BC should learn from “our” mistakes and do something to keep the same thing from happening to the BC stocks!

In conclusion… the whole article has “NO CREDIBILITY AND NO MERITS”!

Back