Shimano GT 4000 drag washer Pain in my ***

Hoochiebob

Trying to remove my old Daiwa from its position of 2nd rod and get my GT back in action. Problem is the dartanium drag. Replaced it a couple years ago. Good thing I bought two of them since my hams for hands broke the first one. Last year the new(er) drag gave up, and by that I mean shattered.

Really like the reel, and have not had any other problems save that crappy little disc.
To the question: Has anyone done a drag conversion or found a compatible drag disc that fits and is a little more durable?
And no, I cant afford a new reel at the moment. Daddy owns a needy little Ford :mad:

This is what you want. http://www.smoothdrag.com/
Carbon fiber drag and spool washers will change your reel to better than new.

This is 100% the best solution. Just ordered and replaced the drag washers on 2 GT4000 a few months ago and they are way better than new. Just know the washers are different in the older 4000’s vs the newer models so make sure to request or send a pic when ordering.

I just ordered from smooothdrag and it cost about $6 including shipping. The stock washer is a smooth plastic disc, not sure how thats meant to impart friction. the smooth drag one is carbon fibre.

Did this for my GT too and also upgraded my trophy Tyee reel with an islander drag spring. Both awesome hacks to make each reel exponentially better.

Back