Shea and the Norway Trade Show!

Little Hawk

Damien Gillis has done it again. Another splendid short-film on the collusion and complicity of our own DFO on the world fish-farming stage.

Please take 7-minutes out of your life to watch this and see the lady who's been entrusted to ensure the welfare of our fish.

http://saveourrivers.ca/video-library-mainmenu-29/414-aquanor

Truly, Shea has her head up her butt!

What do we do?

If stuff like this - our Governments support of this tragic industry - goes unchecked, Pacific Salmon are done!

For a foreign owned industry that creates a meager 1000 or so medial-paying jobs here in BC - it truly begs the question:

WHO IS GETTING PAID HERE?

Yep that's right Hawk, They don't agree with you so they must be crooked and on the take. Who paid for Gillis to go to Norway?

And what a smokling gun, Minister Shea at a trade show oh horror of horror while the sockeye perish. My what drama.

Like it or not aquaculture is still part of DFO's mandate, and Shea was simply doing her job. The suggestion is that she is doing nothing to get to the bottom of the Fraser River issue, (which I might add is simply a natural phenomenom which has occured several times over the last few hundred years. Didn't you read the article I posted, guess not.) because she is in Norway is BS. The 2 incidences are not even related. This is a typical ploy used by professional spin doctors such as Michael Moore to show 2 un connected events as if the are some how related. I must say Gillis is not quite up to Moore's stature, but he is quite good at it. Well he was able to con you Hawk, and we all know how sharp you are.

Lucky for you anti's this Sockeye issue occurred as it is giving new life to your campaign which was almost winking out due to a serious credibility issue. It really is hard to continually convince people that the sky is falling when it never falls. So much for Krkosek and Morton's extinction prediction. Stupid Pink salmon had to ruin it on her. Boy you sure can't trust a pink can you?

quote:Originally posted by sockeyefry

Like it or not aquaculture is still part of DFO's mandate, and Shea was simply doing her job.
COMPLETE BS</u>, sockeyefry.

Promoting aquaculture has NEVER been a part of DFO's core, legislated mandate. Protecting wild fish and their habitats, while prosecuting the Fisheries Act is DFO's core mandate.

Yves Bastion (the past Commissionaire of Aquaculture Development who was appointed and never went through a hiring process) made it part of DFO's policy w/o ever bothering to ask the public, and w/o any legislative change to back-up the ILLEGAL Act.

He should have been arrested on treason, as far as I'm concerned.

We have Industry Canada , and Agriculture Canada that could have been lead agencies on aquaculture promotion - but if it went that way - the people involved in the environmental review process couldn't interfere with that review activity that way.

We spoke about this at length at:
http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8847

And you agreed with me on the Agri-Can verses DFO promotion.

He may be a knob, but it looks like he might be right.
Our Mandate
On behalf of the Government of Canada, DFO is responsible for developing and implementing policies and programs in support of Canada’s scientific, ecological, social and economic interests in oceans and fresh waters.

DFO is a national and international leader in marine safety and in the management of oceans and freshwater resources. Departmental activities and presence on Canadian waters help to ensure the safe movement of people and goods. As a sustainable development department, DFO will integrate environment, economic and social perspectives to ensure Canada’s oceans and freshwater resources benefit this generation and those to come.

The Department’s guiding legislation includes the Oceans Act, which charges the Minister with leading oceans management and providing coast guard and hydrographic services on behalf of the Government of Canada, and the Fisheries Act, which confers responsibility to the Minister for the management of fisheries, habitat and aquaculture. The Department is also one of the three responsible authorities under the Species at Risk Act.

Agent, I do agree with you vis a vis the Agri Can vs DFO.

I was merely stating that she was doing her mandate, and the fact that she was in Norway had no bearing on what DFO was doing WRT the sockeye issue.

And I am not a knob, my daughter calls me a nub, so there.

quote:Originally posted by Klob

He may be a knob, but it looks like he might be right.
Our Mandate
On behalf of the Government of Canada, DFO is responsible for developing and implementing policies and programs in support of Canada’s scientific, ecological, social and economic interests in oceans and fresh waters.

DFO is a national and international leader in marine safety and in the management of oceans and freshwater resources. Departmental activities and presence on Canadian waters help to ensure the safe movement of people and goods. As a sustainable development department, DFO will integrate environment, economic and social perspectives to ensure Canada’s oceans and freshwater resources benefit this generation and those to come.

The Department’s guiding legislation includes the Oceans Act, which charges the Minister with leading oceans management and providing coast guard and hydrographic services on behalf of the Government of Canada, and the Fisheries Act, which confers responsibility to the Minister for the management of fisheries, habitat and aquaculture. The Department is also one of the three responsible authorities under the Species at Risk Act.
These are quotes from the DFO "Communications" branch. They know how to manipulate words.

To really know what DFO has as a mandate - you have to go back to the legislation that formed DFO, and the Fisheries Act itself.

Basically DFO IS tasked with "regulating" aquaculture (since it impacts fish habitat) - but certainly NOT "promoting" aquaculture.

And by promoting aquaculture in Norway (which is NOT DFO's job), while there is a substantial crisis on West Caost salmon - Shea is definately NOT doing her job.

Please Agent what do you want her to do as minister? What do you think she could be doing personally as minister? Trips such as thwese are planned months in advance. She may have not been able to cancel. In any event what difference would her presence here in Canada make to the Current Sockeye situation?

quote:Originally posted by sockeyefry

Please Agent what do you want her to do as minister? What do you think she could be doing personally as minister? Trips such as thwese are planned months in advance. She may have not been able to cancel. In any event what difference would her presence here in Canada make to the Current Sockeye situation?
It's pretty simple, sockeyefry.

I want her to do her job - protecting wild stocks, NOT promoting aquaculture, which is NOT her job.

"Personally" - she's about as effective as using toothpaste on hemorrhoids. She's just another naive, easily manipulated public figurehead.

However, she can generate public interest, and direct her staff to redirect person years and funds to try to solve the issue.

Being in BC, and being seen to be addressing the issue is what her job should be - not spending taxpayers money for a junket to Norway.

The fact that it takes some advance planning to misspend one's time and taxpayers money, is your flimsy excuse for her going to Norway?

This Friday, September 11th, Dr. Tony Farrell will be presenting "Sea lice on very juvenile pink salmon: just a drag or holey terrors?"

Time: 11am

Dr. Farrell is a UBC Professor at both the Department of Zoology and the Faculty of Land and Food Systems. He is also the Research Chair of the Centre for Aquaculture and Environmental Research (CAER). Extensively published and a recipient of numerous awards, Dr. Farrell’s research focuses on integrative and comparative animal physiology, particularly with respect to cardiorespiratory physiology and stress tolerance in salmonids.

Please join me in welcoming Dr. Farrell.

I look forward to seeing you all this Friday.

Brooke Campbell

FISH 500 Coordinator

Fisheries Centre, University of British Columbia

Supported by the Ministry of Environment, Province of BC

quote:Originally posted by cohochinook

This Friday, September 11th, Dr. Tony Farrell will be presenting "Sea lice on very juvenile pink salmon: just a drag or holey terrors?"

Time: 11am

Dr. Farrell is a UBC Professor at both the Department of Zoology and the Faculty of Land and Food Systems. He is also the Research Chair of the Centre for Aquaculture and Environmental Research (CAER). Extensively published and a recipient of numerous awards, Dr. Farrell’s research focuses on integrative and comparative animal physiology, particularly with respect to cardiorespiratory physiology and stress tolerance in salmonids.

Please join me in welcoming Dr. Farrell.

I look forward to seeing you all this Friday.

Brooke Campbell

FISH 500 Coordinator

Fisheries Centre, University of British Columbia

Supported by the Ministry of Environment, Province of BC
Interesting a talk on sea lice, by a guy who admits he's never worked on sea lice (see: http://www.leg.bc.ca/CMT/38thparl/session-2/aquaculture/hansard/W60601a.htm#7:1430):

A. Farrell: "By my limited review of the literature. I stated clearly and explicitly at the outset that I've never worked on sea lice."

A. Farrell: "I've done some reading. I mean, not anywhere near enough."

AND by the same guy who doesn't understand what an average number of lice on a fish are:

A. Farrell: "I'm not aware of that information. I can't comment, but I will comment that I've never seen 0.3 of a louse. I've only ever seen one louse, but I've never seen part of a louse on a fish. I mean, I'm struggling with that."

The UBC Center for Aquaculture and the Environment gets $$$ from the feds and the industry to accommodate the industry, though. That's apparently not too hard for Farrell to understand, since finding and managing funding must be part of his job as Research Chair...

Back