SFBC's Offical 2018-2019 Hockey Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Easy win for the Sharks, Canucks were careless all night and paid for it.

-Special teams were brutual, especially on the PK (3), Shark forwards were constantly left unchecked in front of the net
-5 on 5 held their own, no puck luck what so ever, can anyone hit the net, made Dell look good all night
-LE skating in pudding, Vitanen played well, Lepsic had tons of chances, his days are numbered.
-effort was there for most of the game but still overall team defence consistently will not take the body and every team now knows it.
Oh well, onward and downward, catching the Oilers sooner than we think. Hughes brothers please, please. Did any Canadian team win this evening!

There are no real clear runaway teams yet as the first quarter of the season has past. Only eight points separate the top 16 teams.

GO LEAFS GO might make it 3 in a row :D, who is this Hughes guy might look good with a big butt maple leaf on his jersey

GO LEAFS GO might make it 3 in a row :D, who is this Hughes guy might look good with a big butt maple leaf on his jersey

May the Flyers keep the losing streak going! Go Flyers.....SFBC’s most coveted team!!

Flyer Nation.....currently scrutinizing applications.

I see the canuck’s Roussel was fined for biting vlasic of the San Jose sharks. Vlasic’s wife was relieved and thankful that he didn’t bite the Vlasic pickle!
Hey-O!!!

It's a miracle, slump busters, they did it folks. At least for now. Also, did I read that right Leafs 6-0 over Philly?
What's with that.

Sooooo a couple things learned from last night, first when your team has dropped a couple in a row, to get out of the funk it is nice to play Pipps Pumpkins, it will cure what ever is ailing you :D Second what the hell are the Nucks doing winning a game, had good money on going for 10 in a row, how the hell are you going to get the 5th pick or worse again if you win the odd game, coach needs to have a talk with them:p oh and WTF is up with Buffalo

Bump, were are all my little Nuck fans i thought you would all be giddy like after the big win. Pipps i hear is in Philly for a job interview as he has done such a good job with the West Coast Ops, hope he doesn't cave and sign a low ball contract. So who were you guys cheering for last night the Bruins or the Leafs, tough call as you all seem to have a hate on for both. GO LEAFS GO :D:eek::p

I guess SFBC has no hockey fans anymore so i will supply the commentary.....GO NUCKS GO, let the new streak begin :p

Yah, a little suprized with the lack of SFBC interest but I must say the Canucks played a pretty tight game last night and were not rewarded for their effort. Again lack of finish against a hot goalie. Also, Green was outcoached in the OT as they never recovered from the first OT face off . Percentages say use Horvat but not the case.
I see TSN is keeping us well informed that it's just 24 hours before the leafs Matthews suits up so I now wonder when TSN let's us know what is in store for his breakfast this morning.LOL.

Yeah and when we had good D, we had no offence and when we had good offence we had a plug for a goal tender.
Perfect, everything is falling into place for the 2019 lottery draft. If by some miracle the nucks win the lottery and then pick Hughes we will have replaced the Sedin brothers. Fat chance but hoping just like the Lotto Max!

Ah there we go now we have a hockey thread again. oh and by the way...

As Frederik Andersen walked down the hallway at the Verizon Center just after midnight Sunday, followed not far behind by Kasperi Kapanen, a thought occurred: Almost everything about this young and growing Maple Leafs team comes back to Phil Kessel.

And the influential and historical trade that has turned out to be enormous for both the Pittsburgh Penguins and the Maple Leafs.

The Penguins got the early benefit with a Stanley Cup win last June and a near Conn Smythe Trophy performance from Kessel.

The Leafs have been demonstrating the benefits, tangibly and otherwise, from the Kessel deal all season long — and some will tell you, last season as well.

Brendan Shanahan negotiated the Kessel acquisition with Jimmy Rutherford in June of 2015, and it was the first major trade he had ever completed. Lou Lamoriello had not yet been hired. Shanahan didn’t do the deal alone. He gathered his advisers, his scouts, both NHL and otherwise. He needed information and opinion. It was, I am told, a group effort putting the trade together, not very long after Dave Nonis had been fired as general manager of the Leafs.

The first part of the negotiation involved Kapanen, the overtime hero from Saturday night. Without him, the Leafs determined there would be no deal. Leafs had tagged him as the prospect they felt best fit their needs.

They also wanted Pittsburgh’s first-round pick from 2016.

One year after the big deal, at the end of Lamoriello’s first season as GM, he traded the Pittsburgh first round pick and the middle of three second round picks the Leafs owned (from deals done for Dion Phaneuf and Roman Polak/Nick Spaling) in order to acquire Andersen from Anaheim.

“We had the assets to make those decisions,” said Lamoriello, who compares the deal for Andersen to the deal he made in New Jersey for Cory Schneider. “It was the same situation as Vancouver. You can’t keep two goalies like that in salary cap times.”

But without the first round pick from the Kessel deal, there’s no Andersen deal. There’s no assets to trade. There’s no goalie.

So to start big picture, it’s now Kessel in exchange for Andersen and Kapanen. But there’s more involved here.

What the Leafs have to show right now for Kessel are Andersen, Kapanen, the Marlies leading scorer, Kerby Rychel (brought in for Scott Harrington), and maybe just an important, salary cap space, which enabled the Leafs to acquire defenceman Connor Carrick while eating the contract of Brooks Laich.

And here’s the topper, without the Kessel deal, Auston Matthews would likely be playing elsewhere in the NHL. Not starring in Toronto.

Why? Mike Babcock was coming in to coach the Leafs. Kessel was the most talented player on the roster. Both Shanahan and Babcock agreed that in order to begin anew, they needed fresh talent and more motivated talent at the top. Had Kessel stayed with Babcock, you think the Leafs would have won the draft lottery?

The last line is especially for you FishT :) GO LEAFS GO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back