SFBC's Offical 2018-2019 Hockey Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leafs don't need to play the regular season. Just start off with them playing a best of seven with Boston. Their season will just take seven games and end with a loss. Then everyone in Toronto can do other things Saturday night, and save the price of tickets to the AC center. Maybe use the money to make a donation to world peace, or sufferring BC salmon sportfisherman....

You guys have to leave behind your fixation with fringe teams-the first round of the SC playoffs has seen some of the Best hockey in years and not just last night's historic mêlée in San Jose.

Yeah. To be honest I was worried about my $100 this year. Thought they would honking this year to be honest, a real surprise
I also thought when the top dogs were eliminated so quickly, this was the Leafs best chance... the giveaways were crushing in game 7

I also thought when the top dogs were eliminated so quickly, this was the Leafs best chance... the giveaways were crushing in game 7
There sure were a lot of top teams turfed first round!
Colorado looked impressive against the Flames

6/8 upsets and the one of the two that wasn’t was the BS penalty on Vegas.
Don’t get me wrong, they gave up 4 power play goals on one major... that’s not good enough.

First round, what a joke. The bloated four round system means more than half the teams in the league make the playoffs - participaction medals. Then the top placed teams in east and west conference and both last year's Stanley Cup finalists are knocked out in a round they shouldn't have had to play. Makes a mockery of the regular season when you can barely crack .500 and still upset yourself into the second round.

The league needs to cut the fat and reduce the regular season if they are going to persist with the four round playoffs. One home and one away with every team in the league, that would be 60 games (62 in 2021).

FWIW I'm a Canucks supporter so no sour grapes over my team being eliminated in a first round upset. I'm just sick of the bloated system that plays too many games and cynically milks its fans in doing so. Personally I'd prefer to see the Cup decided in a two week tournament like worlds or Olympics, but I know that ain't gonna happen. Games are much more exciting when it's one and done. Every play matters and there's no room for stupid or dirty play.

First round, what a joke. The bloated four round system means more than half the teams in the league make the playoffs - participaction medals. Then the top placed teams in east and west conference and both last year's Stanley Cup finalists are knocked out in a round they shouldn't have had to play. Makes a mockery of the regular season when you can barely crack .500 and still upset yourself into the second round.

The league needs to cut the fat and reduce the regular season if they are going to persist with the four round playoffs. One home and one away with every team in the league, that would be 60 games (62 in 2021).

FWIW I'm a Canucks supporter so no sour grapes over my team being eliminated in a first round upset. I'm just sick of the bloated system that plays too many games and cynically milks its fans in doing so. Personally I'd prefer to see the Cup decided in a two week tournament like worlds or Olympics, but I know that ain't gonna happen. Games are much more exciting when it's one and done. Every play matters and there's no room for stupid or dirty play.
I do agree. I hate the new format with the division winners and wildcard. Look at the Eastern conference, where on division is absolutely stacked, and the pacific is hurting in the West. It should be the old ranking system of 1 to 8 per conference so the best teams make it. 1 to 4 would be great but so many teams would be out of a spot early and nobody would go to the games.

The big problem is, they all have a taste for the revenue, and those inflated player salaries aren’t going anywhere so I don’t see a shorter season in the future. Not to say I don’t like the idea of it!

The short season is why the NFL is the sport I follow the closest. Every game counts so much! (Maybe not as much the $2.5 million Russell Wilson gets each game)

Baseball was my sport to play and I did make it pretty far. (I have some good stories of playing with against big league stars) okay fine twist my arm, I’ll tell one.. I struck out MLB MVP Justin Morneau when we were 17 years old.
Regardless of that (or my 4 hit game off of MLB All star Rich Harden when I was 15) it’s hard to follow a sport of over 160 games at 3 hours a game. Rich did get the last laugh making over $20,000,000 in his career. Me? Jealous? NOOOO. Okay a bit.

I Played in the 13 year old World Series in Tulsa, Oklahoma and the 15 year old World Series in Las Vegas.
Ended up Played college ball in Vancouver then Sacramento before quitting due to an arm injury in the league the harbour cats are in.
GO KELOWNA FALCONS.

WHAT... no mention on how the Leafs always get the easy schedule :)

I didn't babble on about how the NHL and Gary Bettman have a conspiracy to prevent Canadian teams from winning the cup either...

Our boy and future HOF Roberto Luongo announced his retirement today after 19 years, 11 with the Panthers.
Greatest goalie in my opinion for the Canucks ever though he never won us a Stanley Cup. Canucks will forfeit 3.3 million recapture penalty against the cap for the next 3 years. Slightly annoying but not so bad I guess. I think Roberto's contract totalled a tidy $64 m. With all the antics other teams have gotten away with I wonder if the Canucks get the league to somehow rescind the cap penalty. Not a chance? Chicago's Marion Hosea and his jock itch for example.

Hossa was legit. Guy didn't practice to avoid the allergies to the gear. Drugs didn't help much apparently. Had to quit.

One of the best 200' players ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back