SFBC's Offical 2018-2019 Hockey Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toronto's favourite team the Leafs are again in a tailspin with indifferent play since Nylanders return. Got a wonder what the future holds as Gardiner was booed off the ice and more importantly the Leafs are 1-12-1 when trailing after 2 periods. Sure tell sign that their team game is a miss and the primadonna's are too busy padding their stats.
Time is now for a significant trade to upgrade the defence and just maybe shock the team into winning a few puck battles.Hopefully Vancouver steps up or else the lull will continue and TSN's ratings will take a beating.

I thought as soon as they caved and way overpaid for Nylander the Stanley cup dream In Toronto died. Nylander predictably got his fortune (most of it was paid in Bonus) and now couldn't care less about the Stanley cup or the team and looks like a decent AHL player at best. They now don't have cap room to pay a guy who plays like Nylander was supposed to (Kapanen) and getting Matthews and Marner signed will take up all the cap room. They better get some D men from the Marlies for next year because Gardiner and Hainsey will have to be let go to make cap space No real loss on either one). They are stuck with Marleau for another year at $6.25 with an NTC. Their only hope of some $ to spend on the Defense is if he agrees to leave and go play with a non playoff team that can take on his cap hit like Vancouver. But why would he do that?

I thought as soon as they caved and way overpaid for Nylander the Stanley cup dream In Toronto died. Nylander predictably got his fortune (most of it was paid in Bonus) and now couldn't care less about the Stanley cup or the team and looks like a decent AHL player at best. They now don't have cap room to pay a guy who plays like Nylander was supposed to (Kapanen) and getting Matthews and Marner signed will take up all the cap room. They better get some D men from the Marlies for next year because Gardiner and Hainsey will have to be let go to make cap space No real loss on either one). They are stuck with Marleau for another year at $6.25 with an NTC. Their only hope of some $ to spend on the Defense is if he agrees to leave and go play with a non playoff team that can take on his cap hit like Vancouver. But why would he do that?
The Leafs still have over $12 million in cap space, with a projected 5.5 million at seasons end. I wouldn't sell the farm yet, although, they do need their defense bolstered up. Gardiner and Hainsey are unrestricted free agents at the end of this season. Between those two, it frees up $7,050,000 in cap space.

Tough loss for the Canucks last night. Poor first period, respecting McJesus speed had the defence backing in too much and missed opportunities, especially Horvat eventually took its toll. Missed EP40. Leivo looked good, Pouliot with his 25th birthday smile finally played a solid game. Overtime was highly entertaining but the shootout was a downer. Too bad as the Canucks deserved better as the game wore on.
I see DelGottago was traded to the Ducks for Schenn and a 7th. Good call for Benning as no requirement to put someone on waivers with EP40 returning.

Last edited:
I was tied up last evening... could somebody please fill me in as to how badly the lightning beat the leafs last night?

079D1480-425E-47B6-ABAF-4AE2F333DB75.jpeg
1 more win and they may finish January at .500

The Toronto fans were merciless booing Gardiner the other day, pretty bad

Last edited:
Thanks Leafs for Leivo, best player on the ice tonight for the Canucks. Eichel never left the ice in the 3rd it seemed. Buffalo is beginning to look great with their high possession team but need still to tighten up a bit. Canucks checking line and support players in my opinion won the game. I wonder if the Oiler management are paying attention.
Is anybody going to stop Calgary, everything is clicking and best team in the league right now.
Demko, good start to hopefully a long career.
Gee, Toronto is in a funk going 3 of 9 with back to backs in Florida and a loss tonight to the Panthers who had lost 7 in a row.. Eastern conference teams closing the gap quickly. Need to get something done soon!

Last edited:
I agree Leivo should have been a star last night, Demko played very well, but Hovart and Leivo should have been the 2 canuck stars. That was a good game and if by chance we do make the playoffs at least we have some grit and the type of players who should be able to kick it up a notch to playoff style hockey, not that I expect them to do too much this year but at least whoever they play will have a physical battle on their hands.

What a pathetic performance by the Canucks this afternoon. Other than Markstrom and Horvat's efforts in the 3rd the Canucks 2 games in a row have been difficult to watch especially the afternoon games.
1st period bad, 2nd brutual and 3rd somehow pulled thru for the win.
Toronto in Arizona up next so will be at least interesting to see how Nylanders new clean shaven look affects the outcome. May the slump continue.
Well that didn't work with the 4-2 loss so back to his hairdresser for a redo. 6 of 7 losses at home for the Leafs.

Last edited:
Calgary-Flames-500x500-Website.jpg

9 - 1 - 1 to finish off the month of January. 19 of a possible 22 points. The Flames are legit this year. They have shown consistency all season long. Five players with over 50 points to lead the league as well. February will be a tougher month for them as they play nine of thirteen games on the road, but they are proving to be a good road club as well with a 16 - 9 - 0 road record, third best in the NHL.

View attachment 42807

9 - 1 - 1 to finish off the month of January. 19 of a possible 22 points. The Flames are legit this year. They have shown consistency all season long. Five players with over 50 points to lead the league as well. February will be a tougher month for them as they play nine of thirteen games on the road, but they are proving to be a good road club as well with a 16 - 9 - 0 road record, third best in the NHL.
The jinx is in Calgary media has the parade route planned!! Too bad.

Well Edmonton did the unthinkable and fired GM Chiarelli this morning. Long time coming and hopefully Lowe follows shortly to finally get rid of the old boys club feel. Possibly too late for this year but maybe in the off season or the trade deadline the Oilers will have the balls to make significant changes to support McJesus.
I will say though he did help build 2 teams in the eastern conference, Islanders and Devils.LOL.

Last edited:
The oilers should really clean house as it isnt only the gm he relies on his scouts and other personnel to make decisions. Draft picks have been awful excluding the top number #1 pics even though some were busts but clear #1s on most peoples draft boards.

30-17-2
Second in the eastern conference.
recent wins over the lightning and capitals. (1st and 3rs teams in the conference)
We have em’ right where we want em’!

Last edited:
30-17-2
Second in the eastern conference.
recent wins over the lightning and capitals. (1st and 3rs teams in the conference)
We have em’ right where we want em’!
Here's my spin on the Leafs and to keep things in perspective. Washington has lost 7 in a row, playing 4 games in 6 nights, back to backs with a tough loss against San Jose the night before. Toronto, 7 at home and 3 on the road with 2 days rest. Go leafs, go. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back