SFBC's 2019-2020 NHL Hockey Thread

Reasonably entertaining but frustrating game in my opinion with good effort but lousy result for an afternoon game. Devils had horseshoes in the 3rd with Blackwood leaving huge rebounds all game and got away with it. A couple of questionable non calls against EP40. Liked Gaudette in for Eriksson as he at least showed some moxy going to the net. I think that's it for Eriksson one way or another when Roussel returns.
Bad habits same as last year creeping in but I will say 2 weeks basically on the road therefore no practise time and it shows. Particularly with the passive defending on NJ's power play goal. Never in Toronto they say. Lol

Last edited:
Don Cherry’s comments are made out to be the worst thing ever. Gotta semi agree with him in terms of people not wearing poppies (all people. I’m not in Toronto so can’t comment there)

Old fossil 85 year old Don at it again but in my opinion his poppy comments were overblown with today's media just adding fuel to the fire. I can see how today's sensitive people are easily offended but this is another example of the world we now live in. Personally I don't think Don's statement was racist. What's next Salmon have feelings too.lol
Maybe it's time for Don to hit the Hall of Fame and Burke or even better Paul Maurice from Winnipeg taking rein.

At the game Thursday against the Stars with another guy from the industry, let me know if anyone is also there...then off to SFI big splash Friday.

Well another loss against a heavy Dallas team. The slump continues. Possibly could have been a different story if Roussel, Beagle, Sutter, Motte and Ferland had been available to add some pushback. I thought Virtanen had another good game until I heard he was -3 tonight. On to Colorado on Saturday. They will be pissed off after McDavid wrecked havoc with 6 points.

Really liked the retro jerseys and nice comeback for the Canucks tonight in regulation. Cale Makar exceptional young talent but our Quinn Hughes not far behind in my opinion. Both are amazing talents but for Makar pretty easy at times when you share the ice with Nathan MacKinnon. Not fair as they have high draft pick Bowen Bryan sitting in the wings for next year.
Kevin Bieksa and and Brian Burke both were excellent commentators this evening. With Toronto dropping as fast as the Canucks its good to finally see Sportsnet show some western bias for a change.

Last edited:
Tough road trip coming up...we get through it going 3-3 and that's a win IMO. Nice comeback...saved a point. Start OT with Petey and Boeser for a change...Horvat has been on the ice for all 3 goals against in OT...Canucks now 0-3 in OT...just saying.

Tough road trip coming up...we get through it going 3-3 and that's a win IMO. Nice comeback...saved a point. Start OT with Petey and Boeser for a change...Horvat has been on the ice for all 3 goals against in OT...Canucks now 0-3 in OT...just saying.
You are most likely right but in my opinion you got to start Horvat in OT as he was about 80% on face off wins. Many coaches in the league would do the same since the first OT face off often sets the stage. Agree Petey, Boeser and Quinn need to be on the ice asap as they give us the best opportunity for a win. Horvat is probably already gassed by the time OT starts.

Really liked the retro jerseys and nice comeback for the Canucks tonight in regulation. Cale Makar exceptional young talent but our Quinn Hughes not far behind in my opinion. Both are amazing talents but for Makar pretty easy at times when you share the ice with Nathan MacKinnon. Not fair as they have high draft pick Bowen Bryan sitting in the wings for next year.
Kevin Bieksa and and Brian Burke both were excellent commentators this evening. With Toronto dropping as fast as the Canucks its good to finally see Sportsnet show some western bias for a change.
Great roster management to have Byron and few other great prospects coming up the pipe.

I’m really enjoying watching the Leafs implode. They spent all their salary cap on offensive forwards and can’t defend, leaving their goalies hung out to dry.

OMG, TSN is on fire, Babcock was just fired.
Don Cherry says so sad! Who's next Don?

Last edited:
Babcock may end up being the Canucks coach if we continue down this slippery slope haha

OMG, TSN is on fire, Babcock was just fired.
Don Cherry says so sad! Who's next Don?
That team that Dubas assembled For Babcock was terrible other than in the power play. No back checking, no Kadri anchoring the 3rd line and Muzzin (who was a pto 3rd pairing on the terrible Canucks) as a top 4 defenseman. Nobody can win with this team What a mess!

I had cancelled my June Canucks celebration party the other day but it's back on again now :cool:
Good game last night. Amazing how the power play goals just kept going in. Lucky for that and great play by Markstrom or result would have been different. Glad to see they sat the 2 softies, Baertschi and Erickson.

Frustrating Canucks have multiple personalities and just can't put it together with any consistency. First period team not ready 2 games in a row especially after the embarrassment in Philly.Coaches need to share the blame here in my opinion. 3rd period Pittsburg comeback may not have happened if Beagle and Sutter were available to calm the kiddies. Major meltdown as Malkin had a field day.

Back