SFBC Derby 2014

Admin

Admin
Staff member
logo.jpg

Guiding Principles
  • To have a family friendly derby that will support local salmon enhancement projects.
  • To create a template for future groups to support their local enhancement projects.
  • To have a derby based on the trust of our local virtual SFBC community.
  • To remove the pressure on any single area by not hosting the derby at a set location.
  • To make the salmon the real winners of the derby.
  • And of course, to give someone bragging rights.

Dates
  • May 1st 2014 thru and including September 1st 2014.

Entry Fee
  • $25 Entry Fee Per Person.
  • Entry fee payable to LRES (Little River Enhancement Society)
  • Mail to: SFBC Salmon Derby , Unit 6-2401 Cliffe Ave. Box #113, Courtenay, BC V9N 2L5.
  • Please include name(s) (forum name and real name(s), age of children entered, email address and phone number(s). Email confirmation will be sent out once entry is received. Personal information will be kept confidential and will be destroyed October 2014.

Entry Process
  • Sign up will be open from March 1st 2014 -*June 1st 2014.*Entry must be postmarked no later than June 1st 2014.
  • Person(s) shall be considered entered into the SFBC Salmon Derby by the postmark on the entry.
  • Once registered as a participant(s), you will receive an email confirmation from the organizers.

Area
  • Fish your own waters and plan your own trips.
  • Coast Wide (excluding Rivers Inlet and QCI's)

How To Enter Your Catch
  • Email your entry to sfbcderby2014@gmail.com
  • Please include name of fishermen, date, location, photo and necessary verification outlined in the rules.

Rules
  • Must be a member of SFBC in good standing to register. Members will also be able to register immediate family members (Spouse and children) living in same household.
  • No fish caught prior to postmarked entry or May 1st 2014 will be accepted as an entry.
  • Only 4 species of pacific salmon shall be entered (Chinook, Coho, Chum, and Pink)
  • Possible derby winners (Large Fish) will have to verified and weighed in at a lodge, marina, fishing store or another derby the same day as being caught and be documented by the lodge, marina, store or derby hosts in writing as well as photos. It will be up to entrant to obtain verification.
  • Other entries will be verified by single photo. These fish are entered for hidden weight prizes, so verification is much easier.
  • Salmon must be entered within 7 days of being caught.
  • All final entries must be received by 11:59pm September 8th 2014.
  • Salmon must be caught by entrant.
  • Only 5 salmon may be entered so choose wisely as derby runs for 4 months.
  • Fresh water caught salmon do not qualify for entry.
  • Anglers must comply with a BC Saltwater Regulations and the Transport Canada Safe Boating Guidelines.
  • Failing to comply will disqualify you and forfeit your entry fee from the derby.
  • Disqualifications will be decided by a minimum of 5 members from SFBC.
  • All organizers and volunteers are eligible to participate in derby.
  • All photo entries of anglers can and may be posted online by organizers and SFBC.
  • By registering in the SFBC Salmon Derby 2014, all participants recognize and understand that by registering yourself and family members to take part, they are participating in this derby at their own risk. SFBC and organizers will not be held responsible for any damages or injuries caused by participating in this derby.
  • Entrants will only be eligible to win one donated prize and award, excluding early bird prize(s).
  • All decisions made by organizers will be final.

Leaderboard Results
  • Leaderboard results of the SFBC Derby 2014 will be first posted June 1st 2014 after the closing of entries and will be posted on a regular basis thereafter.

Awards
  • Largest 3 Salmon to receive an award , and of course bragging rights.
  • In the event of a tie, first entry shall be deemed the winner.
  • Arrangements can be made between award winners and organizers if not in attendance at the BBQ.

Prizes
  • Winners must be in attendance to claim a prize.
  • Largest 3 Salmon will have first 3 choices*from the prize table if in attendance.
  • 2 Children entries (1 to a child 0-8 years of age, and 1 to a child 9-12 years of age) will receive next 2 prize selections (youngest age group selecting first)
  • 5 hidden weight winners to have next 5 choices from prizes donated (first entry received closest to the hidden weight will win first pick)
  • All entrants shall be registered at the BBQ making them eligible to be drawn for the rest of the prizes.

BBQ and Awards
  • Saturday September 27th 2014 @ 12 noon.
  • Location: Bowen Park (Lower Picnic Area) 500 Bowen Road in Nanaimo http://www.nanaimoinformation.com/bowen-park.php
  • 10:40 am Sailing from Horseshoe Bay aboard a BC Ferry for Mainland Residents. Walk or very short cab ride to park.
  • BBQ by donation to the Little River Enhancement Society cooked by some of our fine SFBC Chefs.
  • As the date gets closer a list of the local pubs nearby that have live bands will be posted for those interested in carrying on after the awards.

50/50 Draw
  • There will be a 50/50 Draw the day of the BBQ raising additional money for the Little River Enhancement Society.

Money Raised
  • All money raised will be donated to Little River Enhancement Society. Grants applied for by the hatchery will match money raised by this derby.

Questions

Donations
  • Donations can be made by contacting organizers at sfbcderby2014@gmail.com. Every effort will be made to have donations picked up by one of the many volunteers all over British Columbia.

SFBC Salmon Derby 2015
  • The format of this year's derby will be handed over to a selected salmon enhancement group in British Columbia to host the SFBC Salmon Derby 2015. An application process will be developed following the 2014 derby.

Last edited by a moderator:
clarification of family member?

[*]Must be a member of SFBC in good standing to register. Members will also be able to register immediate family members (Spouse and children) living in same household.

What about grandparents living in the same household?

I personally felt it was ok, as this is a family event. I have already accepted an entry of another father living in the same household and will gladly accept another.

7 days left to get your entry's in the mail....... As of May 31st at midnight if you have not entered, you'll have to sit back and watch the rest of us win tons of awesome prizes just by supporting a hatchery by giving them $25 and fishing. Seems like a no brainer to me

How to enter......

Entry:

$25 Entry Fee Per Person
Entry fee payable to LRES (Little River Enhancement Society)
Mail to:

SFBC Salmon Derby
Unit 6-2401 Cliffe Ave.
Box #113
Courtenay, BC
V9N2L5

Please include name(s) (forum name and real name(s), age of children entered, email address and phone number(s). Email confirmation will be sent out once entry is received. Personal information will be kept confidential and will be destroyed October 2014.

Arrangements can be made, and help is available if you find getting your entry in is to difficult.

Please contact me if you want to pay by ETransfer or to drop off cash

Hey Guys....can I ask one quick question for clarification of the points below?

Area
  • Fish your own waters and plan your own trips.

• Coast Wide (excluding Rivers Inlet and QCI's)

I am assuming that it IS open coast wide (minus exceptions noted) but you are NOT limited to your own local area? Being from Vancouver I can enter in fish from WCVI when over there?

Those two points don't necessarily make the "area" super clear. ;)

All it was meant to point out that you don't need to come fish a certain location on a certain weekend. You plan your own trips, pick your own dates, fish what ever tidal water you want, when ever you want.

You are NOT limited to any waters

Go out and get em, but get your entry in first :)

Last edited by a moderator:
PayPal Entry's Now Available

For those of you holding back cause PayPal was not a available, I look forward to you contacting me to get your entry's in. There's only 4 days left to sign up......

Please contact me by email to make arrangements at sfbcderby2014@gmail.com

Time is running out.....

The five prizes for the largest Salmon caught will be awarded in this order and you will NOT HAVE TO ATTEND THE WRAP PARTY TO WIN.

1st Place Trip for two 2 days/2 nights all inclusive trip to Reel Obsession’s Zeballos Lodge.
2nd Place 1 Day Charter for up to 3 people with Serengeti Fishing Charters
3rd Place 1 Day Charter for up to 4 people with Bear Cove Cottages
1st Place Child 9-12 years old is an Islander MR3 Reel
1st Place Child 0-8 years old is a new bicycle.
Draw for 1 set of 2 Iron Noggin Needlefish Spoons June 10th.
Draw for 3 sets of 2 Sandlance Spoons by Andrew P June 10th
Television appearance with Gary Cooper on Nice Fish will be drawn at the end of the Derby.

The complete prize list can be found here. http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/showthread.php?26786-Donated-Prizes-and-Recognition

HOW TO ENTER

Due to time pressures, please email the following details to Fish Assassin at sfbcderby2014@gmail.com. Arrangements for E-TRANSFER and PAYPAL payments can also be made through Fish Assassin at this time.

Please include name(s) (forum name and real name(s), age of children entered, email address and phone number(s). Email confirmation will be sent out once entry is received. Personal information will be kept confidential and will be destroyed October 2014.

Full derby details can be found here. http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/showthread.php?26747-SFBC-Derby-2014

Have the hidden weights been picked already? Hopefully some considerations will/was taken into account that some entrants are under slot restrictions for 1/3 of this contest, and can really only keep decent fish that are clipped. In other words, here's hoping that a low teens would have a good chance at hitting a hidden weight.

Hidden Weights are being supplied by SFBC and are already in sealed a envelope held by SFBC

There are so many prizes..... More prizes then entrants. So signing up should be a no brainer

So get your entry's in before days end.........

I signed up along with both my kids. The kids are especially stoked about it. Every fish they reel in is just that much more exciting to them now. They ask to go fishing more now too...which is good for me :)

It's a great cause guys! Get your entries in and sign up the kids. The money goes to help salmon: WIN. There's $15k worth of prizes! WIN! Wins all around...

Not a lot of time left to sign up-for a derby that runs all summer and 100% of the entry fee goes back into salmon-win,win all the way round!!

Cannot beat the odds along with helping insure our salmon stocks. Even without the derby it is a great way to donate to a super cause to the Little River Enhancement Society

/fishon

The folks at the Little River Hatchery work incredibly hard to help preserve and enhance our salmon resource. I volunteer for the Fanny Bay Salmon Enhancement Society (Rosewall Hatchery) so I understand what is involved in harvesting eggs and sperm from brood stock, picking spoiled eggs through the incubation process, rearing fish through to smolts, clipping tens of thousands of them and the ultimate satisfaction that comes with releasing the little buggers into the river. As others above have noted, anyone who has caught a hatchery raised fish should have no problem contributing $25 to this most worthwhile cause....with the added bonus of perhaps winning a prize worth considerably more than the $25 entry fee.
Buck up folks!!

Back