Hope to see you all there!

Tips

NOTICE OF SPECIAL MEETING:

What: Victoria Sport Fishing Advisory Board Committee Special Meeting

When: Tuesday, February 3rd 2009 - 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM

Where: NOTE LOCATIONCHANGE
Sandman Hotel, 2852 Douglas Street, Victoria BC V8T 4M5
Orchid Meeting Room Sandman Hotel is located between Douglas and Gorge Road
East just north of Hillside Ave. - food and drink service will be available in our meeting room

____________________________________________________________________________________

Draft Agenda:

SFAB Main Board Meeting Report
Discuss and provide DFO advice on proposed fisheries management for:
a) 2009 Halibut Angling in Areas 19 and 20
b) 2009 Chinook Salmon in Areas 18, 19 and 20

Meeting Purpose:

Following the difficulties created by last-minute changes to fishing opportunities for our area in 2008, I have called this special Victoria SFAB Committee meeting to allow local constituents to interact with DFO about 2009 fishing proposals for halibut, Early Timed Fraser, Early Summer and Summer chinook salmon in areas 18, 19 and 20. There is a great deal of uncertainty surrounding our tidal fishing opportunities for this coming year, hence I personally feel it vital for Tom Cole and I to keep you all informed of any developments or changes as early as we possibly can.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Following the completion of the Victoria SFAB Commitee meeting, all eligible attendees are encouraged to remain for an open discussion session. This is NOT SFAB business but a forum for our local tidal waters angling community to focus on how we can best protect our salmon, halibut and shellfish fishing opportunities in the Southern Strait of Georgia, off Victoria and the Juan de Fuca Strait this year and in the future. We will also engage in a letter writing campaign.

Please be sure to attend in person and/or send deligates from your organization. Also be sure to tell other local tidal water's anglers about this important meeting.

I look forward to seeing you there,

Kindest regards,

Chris

I will be there with bells on!!!

Long live wild salmon!!!
lowrance.jpg

I have never been im only 19 but this is an important issue to me, do you think they would care what i have to say?

-Steve

Good attendance, all the credit deserved to Chris Bos and the SFAB.
As far as DFO, I'm not very impressed.
You would think a rather large federal agency would have better
organization and funding.
We are only 3 weeks away from another slot closure on Springs, and
our summer fishery could also be impacted with more closures
due to the poor Fraser river returns.
I wonder if DFO will give us more than a few hours notice ? [xx(]

To all you guys who ran away so quickly: the intention was to write the letter right there and leave it with Chris B! Chris was a bit disappointed to have only 6 or 7 letters there at the end. Please do him and yourself the favour and send those letters out! You don't need to put stamps on if you use the envelope with the sticker on that Chris and Tom handed out.

Thanks to Chris B. and Tom for taking the lead and founding the Victoria Sportfishing Coalition!

ahh, so you were apparently right huh! Well, I don't think it is that reasonable to expect people to scribble something up at the end of the meeting amongst all the noise. I prefer a quieter place to think about what I'm writing. With that, I've just finished my letter (which is in reply to one I received from Andrew Thomson, but covers all the points they want us to get across).

Curious about the no stamp thing though. Are you saying just because its to the house of commons, a stamp isn't required? It's not like they are 'special' labels or anything!

Fill me in (and likely the rest of us dine and dashers here!) - and yes, fully agree, we ALL DO need to follow through and get these mailed out - I hope the rest of you will be as well (including those not at the meeting) - send a letter (not email) to
The Hon. Minister Gail Shea,
Fisheries and Oceans Canada,
House of Commons, Ottawa, On
K1A 0A6

Key points:
halibut is not a conservation concern
request no in-season closures
need min. 20% TAC, not 12% that was established on a flawed estimate
limit/possession 2/3 (personally, I think 2/2 is fine myself, but regardless)

Good turnout regardless - I rough estimated 110-120.

Over 130 - turn-out!

Yes, letters addressed to House of Commons don't need stamps, you scottish offsprings!

I also will write a letter tonight. I will e-mail Chris B to confirm my letter sent. Everyone else should also do this to let Chris know that you followed through.

Tips

I didnt know we were supposed to do it that way Sorry Chris.

Yes it was a good turn out personally would have like to have seen double that amount as most of the people there were guides and charters I know there is alot of sportfisherman who lurk on here and yet you still didnt show up ,but you know thats ok as the people there are going to do the dirty work for you!!!!!!!!!!
Every person who stood up and voiced there concerens were charter/guide operators beside the sfab members and that guy who calls himself a dfo rep.

Its really sad when there is so much bitching on this forum from certain people pointing the finger and yet when it comes to crunch time nobody shows up very dissaponting.

Wolf

I agree with Roy ....there are alot of LOUD MOUTHS, but when it comes time to stand up they put their tail between their legs and become cowards in the corner...If every speaks up or stand together things may happen

quote:Originally posted by striperjack

I agree with Roy ....there are alot of LOUD MOUTHS, but when it comes time to stand up they put their tail between their legs and become cowards in the corner...If every speaks up or stand together things may happen

and if everyone speaks up or stands together in that setting, you get chaos! We are all there for the same reason, we mostly all share the same opinion, so it's not that beneficial for us all to stand up and say the same thing over and over. I was there to support the cause and learn more about the problem (as just a sportfisherman), but didn't feel the need to repeat what everyone else has already stated. I already have my letter done and mailing this morning, I will follow through on our coalition plans when asked...that is all that is needed here.

I'm sure more people would have spoken had there been more time allocated...
There sure wasn't much valuable input from DFO.
He could hardly answer the few questions thrown at him.

Back