Sewage Pipe being built out to Fingers.

LowTide

This summer there was a lot of construction at Neck Point. It appears that it was to construct a 53 inch sewage line under the tennis courts that will eventually go out under water out to Five Fingers. The rest of the construction is set to continue next year from March to the Fall and will require tugs pulling the pipe out there to release sewage into the ocean. Has anyone else heard about this? Any thoughts as to impact on the fishery?

What are they trying to do ? make another Clover Point (Victoria)?

Is that raw sewage or treated?

Clover Point....where tons of fetid stinking raw sewage is pumped out into the water daily and has been for decades and decades......

I'm surprised anybody actually fishes for salmon or anything else out front of there......

Years ago there was a report that microscopic pieces of toilet paper had carpeted the rocks and sea-vegetation around that area.....hate to see it now......

Victoria.....always claiming what a clean city they are.....while they've always had this gigantic cesspool called Clover Point.

there is a large sewage treatment plant in Hammond bay so it is probably the already treated sewage that they will be piping out there...maybe that's why the prawning is so good out there....(sh*t eaters)...:rolleyes:

I'm all for protecting the environment, keeping our oceans clean and stuff, but Clover Point is not dumping raw sewage[/B][/B] into the ocean, it is 6mm screened during primary treatment. Raw sewage is mainly water containing excrement, industrial release and debris such as sanitary towels, condoms and plastic. Sewage sure, but not raw with plastic, chunks of toilet paper, and other solids.

my understanding was the treated sewage was always pumped out that way from the Hammond Bay station - they are just putting a new pipe and infrastructure in is all - old one is well past its prime.

dont think it will affect anything overall compared to what it is now.

Maybe I'm crying Wolf a little early, but I remember in the 90's up at willow point in C.R catching used condoms at 180 ft. By the time I brought them in they were nearly two feet long.....just sayin'....

Maybe I'm crying Wolf a little early, but I remember in the 90's up at willow point in C.R catching used condoms at 180 ft. By the time I brought them in they were nearly two feet long.....just sayin'....

Ah shxx there goes my dinner ...HS I would rather pull up dog crap. Condoms gross...

Sorry about the bycatch Lowtide, those 2 foot condoms must have been mine, haha tee-hee!!

Fisherman Rob:- I remember a couple or some years back they took underwater videos of the saltwater plant life off out Clover Point and area..

It was coated with what looked a fine white dust everywhere.....when they analyzed it , it indeed was microscopic particles of toilet paper.

No one denies Clover is dumping sewage and its untreated. Victoria will be online 2020 like it or not... That is a mess that should have been done years ago unfortunately new generation will have to pay for it...

Years ago before they started filtering waste , it was much worse than it is today.
The ocean currents are actually quite amazing at flushing the filtered waste away.
Not saying we don't need change, but the ocean life appears to be quite sustainable
even without treatment.

That is why you cannot pick a clam or eat an oyster in much of the victoria and surrounding area all shut down. Pooh everywhere. Nasty.

That is why you cannot pick a clam or eat an oyster in much of the victoria and surrounding area all shut down. Pooh everywhere. Nasty.

I think you'll find its septic systems that are the major problem for most of the beaches. I find it hard to believe Victoria's sewage treatment is causing Pat Bay shell fish problems for example?

Another issue that really bugs me is the derilick live a boards that are dumping raw sewage into the water. I get a persons right to anchor, but that doesn't include the right to pump sewage into the waterways!

Back