Send your emails and letters

Derby

Crew Member
I was hoping to get this out ASAP to our members via chipmunk encouraging them to write their MP's & MLA's.

"The Directors of the BCFDF encourage all members to e mail or write their MP"s & MLA's expressing their extreme concerns at the lack of protection accorded B.C. steelhead by both the Federal & Provincial fisheries agencies. There is a demonstrated lack of communication & cooperation by both governments, resulting in potential extinction of some steelhead runs. Of particular concern is the imminent expiration of Thompson/Chilcotin stocks, with this years return estimated at 45 fish for the Chilcotin & 145 for the Thompson. Historically these runs numbered in the thousands.

Despite numerous pleas from NGO's, the totally non selective Fraser River chum gill net fisheries were allowed to proceed resulting in mortalities of these decimated stocks. We view these openings as reprehensible & a dereliction of responsibility by our Federal government. The B.C. government must also be taken to task for lack of forceful actions in protesting these non selective net fisheries."

These iconic B.C. steelhead are in a death spiral. We must all accept responsibility in preserving these fish for our future generations. Failure to save these fish would represent a failure on our part as stewards."

Hon. Dominic LeBlanc

Minister of Fisheries & Oceans

House of Commons

Ottawa Ont.

Canada K1A 0A6

Dominic.LeBlanc@parl.gc.ca

Terry Beech MP

Parliamentary Secretary to Minister LeBlanc

3906 Hastings St.

Burnaby , B.C.

Canada V5C 6C1

Terry.Beech@parl.gc.ca

Todd Doherty MP

Conservative Fisheries Critic

1520 3rd Ave

Prince George, B.C.

Canada V2L 3G4

Todd.Doherty@parl.gc.ca

Hon. Lana Popham

Minister of Agriculture

Room 325-501 Belleville Street

Victoria, B.C. V8V 1X4

AGR.Minister@gov.bc.ca

Hon. Doug Donaldson

Minister of Forests Lands & Natural Resources

P.O. Box 9049 Stn Prov Govt.

Victoria, B.C. V8W 9E2

FLNR.Minister@gov.bc.ca

Hon. George Heyman

Minister of Environment

PO Box 9047 Stn Prov Govt

Rm 112, Parliament Bldgs

Victori, B.C. V8W 9E2

ENV.minister@gov.bc.ca

I failed with my letter here is the response i got:

Thank you for your email of October 26, 2017, regarding Thompson steelhead stock.

While I appreciate that you took the time to share your thoughts with me, this topic falls under the purview of the Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development.

I have shared a copy of your enquiry with my colleague, the Honourable Doug Donaldson, Minister of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development, for his review and consideration. I understand you will receive a response at the earliest opportunity.

Thank you again for writing.

Sincerely,

George Heyman

Minister

cc: Honourable Doug Donaldson, Minister of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations
and Rural Development

Back