seizing drain plug

CIVANO

I had to remove an aluminum drain plug from the pod on my boat and it required a plug socket and a hell of a lot of effort. I am replacing it with a new plug. What do you use to keep it from seizing? Teflon tape? or some kind of grease?

Can’t go wrong with Teflon Tape.

If you can get the right size, you need to make sure it is well sealed with some sort of pipe dope.

Use a good marine grease like 2-4-C or corrosion block or similar. Grease is your friend when it comes to aluminum and boats in general has Teflon in it what ever you do DONT us anti seize worst thing ever for marine applications actually welds **** together

"anti seize worst thing ever for marine applications actually welds **** together"

I was considering it since I have anti seize on all the bolts and nuts on the trailer. Not now! Thanks for the heads up.

I just use MARINE grade never seize on mine (uses silver not copper) they use it down at dockyard on all the navy ships....mine is a steel plug into aluminum.

Seems to be a lot of hassle and expense for something that a $1.00 roll of Teflon tape can handle and more than likely do a superior job at doing. On top of that with the tape you can be confident on a complete water tight seal.

But each to their own.

Last edited:
You should use tef-gel. I have some in Langley at home if you want to swing by and coat the plug ket me know.

Grease is so handy on all salt water marine applications that stuff pro is talking about is really good but thats a "need to know someone" to get some of that salt water is a killer on boats out here hence why alot of us spray stuff down with corrosion block or similar and grease every nut and bolt , You dont get much of that going on in a shop in medicine hat IMO

Lots of aluminum anti seize. Run it in and out a half dozen times to burnish the contact sufaces. This will reduce galling now and in the future. Pull it out and clean off most of the anti seize with a rag. Cover the male and female threads with aviation gasket maker and run the plug in. Or clean it with MEK and assemble with Mastinox if you don't mind Strontium based products.

Back