Seized Tiller Arm on Yamaha 8hp

TenMile

Hey,

Anyone dealt with a seized tiller arm on a Yamaha? Mine started to get stiff a few months back. I lubed it several times but now it's frozen solid. Loosened off the nuts inside and have used some PB Blaster and a hammer to try to get it unstuck but it's solid. Any suggestions?

TenMile
<'((((><

youll have to take it apart and scrape off all the salt build up. There really is no other way.

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

Had the same thing happen.

Do as Island Fish Lifter said and take it all apart, get an old kithchen knife and scrape away until all the dried salt is off, then I packed mine in Vasaline. So far, so good, but I did it last summer, so it has less than a year on it. Will be taking it apart this spring before heading out to see how the vasaline is holding up.

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Sitkaspruce

Had the same thing happen.

Do as Island Fish Lifter said and take it all apart, get an old kithchen knife and scrape away until all the dried salt is off, then I packed mine in Vasaline. So far, so good, but I did it last summer, so it has less than a year on it. Will be taking it apart this spring before heading out to see how the vasaline is holding up.

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

Sounds good, but I can't even get it apart!!! I've taken the nut off that holds the arm in place and can't seem to get the arm to loosen off. Might have to get some heat on it to see if I can get it to budge.

Do you guys think that this would be something covered by the Yamaha warranty? The engine is covered by a 6 year warranty but I'd need to remove it from the boat to take it in for service.

TenMile
<'((((><

Phone the dealer. If you break it and you find it was covered by warranty you will be pissed.

quote:Originally posted by spring time

what is pb blaster I've heard of it on a couple of other threads and where do you get it

It's a penetrating lube for loosening rusted or seized stuff -- you can get it at Crappy Tire.

TenMile
<'((((><

Back