Seiners in front of Nanaimo for chums

Ron Willis

With the amount of small springs that have been around how many where scooped up by the seiners that been out front for 2 or 3 days now.

Probably none it's a Chum fishery.
I used to seine and they are not very selective when you purse up what ever is in the net is pretty much dead unless they spend a lot of time brailing and trying to sort out the springs. I remember shoveling springs off the deck in Alberti canal when we were sockeye fishing.

20181104_094950_resized.jpg The commercial guys are still trying to catch the ferry off Nanaimo. This was this morning right by the fingers. Can't believe they're still hammering Chum! Wouldn't want to have any extra Chum in the river to help put nutrients back to feed juvenile salmon and steelhead!

View attachment 41281 The commercial guys are still trying to catch the ferry off Nanaimo. This was this morning right by the fingers. Can't believe they're still hammering Chum! Wouldn't want to have any extra Chum in the river to help put nutrients back to feed juvenile salmon and steelhead!
I don’t know if they are catching much but they were getting $1.50 a pound

PROBABLY none its a chum fishery ?????? really ???? this is why salmon are in trouble, Jimmy Pattison needs more money so lets catch every fish so he can make money!! he has a better lobbyist than sporties will ever have . Seines catch everything !! give the salmon a break

PROBABLY none its a chum fishery ?????? really ???? this is why salmon are in trouble, Jimmy Pattison needs more money so lets catch every fish so he can make money!! he has a better lobbyist than sporties will ever have . Seines catch everything !! give the salmon a break
I’m pretty sure Nanaimo has a healthy Chum run and they don’t want to over spawn the river. It’s most likely a cleanup fishery now that they have their escapement.

I’m pretty sure Nanaimo has a healthy Chum run and they don’t want to over spawn the river. It’s most likely a cleanup fishery now that they have their escapement.
Over spawn the river?? The problem for many BC salmon rivers is they're not getting enough nutrients from salmon carcasses. These help feed juvenile salmon and steelhead. Create insect life and increase the health of the rivers ecosystem. DFO likes to scoop up Chum's like they're worthless!

The Squamish River has virtually no chum this year thanks to DFO's management. Since the Johnstone Strait mixed stock fishery started about 10 years ago, the numbers of chum have plummeted in the Squamish! They harvest 600,000 to 800,000 chum in this fishery. They have no genetic data to determine how many Squamish chum are caught in this fishery, because that would be a to intelligent way to manage chum! We're now seeing the Squamish not only loose its chum population, but also seeing one of its main nutrient loaders disappear. Beyond that both grizzly bears and eagles are going without a main food source!

Last edited:
I was at the lower part of the river the other day and there were very few chum to be seen alive or spawned out. Also the river is full of gill nets this year so that will also affect any Coho that are in there. Hard to believe that there are as many fish in the system as the dfo says there are.

Last edited:
Seriously folks?!
Overspawn actually happens and it is not good.
The gravel can only hold so many spawners. Every extra spawner over the 100% capacity will destroy three other spawning beds.
Biotic potential.
Once the spawning bed is at 100% kill the rest before they hit the gravel. If you want to throw them next to a tree, ok hippy.
Terminal fisheries are an effective management tool for maximum Salmon health and returns.

Seriously folks?!
The gravel can only hold so many spawners. Every extra spawner over the 100% capacity will destroy three other spawning beds.
Biotic potential.
Once the spawning bed is at 100% kill the rest before they hit the gravel. If you want to throw them next to a tree, ok hippy.
Terminal fisheries are an effective management tool for maximum Salmon health and returns.
How did generations of salmon survive over thousands of years where we weren’t around to “manage” the overspawning? You’re telling me that the mother nature does better with man’s interventions? Maybe my science is leaky but it just doesn’t make sense...

Lol.....sigh....
Chum are the building blocks to healthy rivers.
I guess the rivers weren't healthy before there was walls of nets on them and at the mouth.
I'm sorry....never will buy into the over spawning. If there is an abundance it often pushes fish into areas they haven't spawned in..in a long time.
Over spawning is just a technical term DFO uses for greater mismanagement.
V
Cohochinook....the squamish comparison is bang on. The netting in Johnstone straight wipes out so many differant fish stocks....and for What? Dog food and overseas roe.
The Squamish chum collapse is one of the saddest things on our coast. Goes to show time to stop this unselective genocide of our fish!

Last edited:
What about the abundance of Jack springs and springs just under the legal size? Surely the seiners are intercepting these fish?

Unmanaged populations are not steady. They follow a boom and bust model.
Managing Salmon stocks for maximum returns means getting the escapement number, which is the capacity of the gravel bed.
In theory this is simple. It gets complicated when you have mixed stocks that have different escapement numbers.
A terminal fishery is properly used when escapement is on the gravel and there is little to no mixing of vulnerable stocks.
At that point, it is best to not allow any more on the gravel.

No simple answers.
The loss of Salmon breeding gravel beds is a major problem.
At sea survival is a major problem.
Unmanaged gillnetting in rivers is a major problem.
Properly managed terminal fisheries are not a major problem. They are a management tool.

I'm sorry....never will buy into the over spawning. If there is an abundance it often pushes fish into areas they haven't spawned in..in a long time.
Over spawning is just a technical term DFO uses for greater mismanagement.

I agree

I have seen this every ditch plugged full in abundance years that in lean years never have fish in them and also more strays to other systems. Over spawning for chum Is not a big issues considering how important the nutrients are. The roe is also very important for, Sturgeon, Steelhead and cutthroat trout. The nutrients in the spring is also very important for stream type Chinook and coho.

Unmanaged populations are not steady. They follow a boom and bust model.
Managing Salmon stocks for maximum returns means getting the escapement number, which is the capacity of the gravel bed.
In theory this is simple. It gets complicated when you have mixed stocks that have different escapement numbers.
A terminal fishery is properly used when escapement is on the gravel and there is little to no mixing of vulnerable stocks.
At that point, it is best to not allow any more on the gravel.

I also agree with this, Over spawning can happen, a few sockeye stocks have had this. Tho the flip side is the extra nutrients fertilizes the lake and the sockeye smolts have better chance to survive when entering the ocean in a year or two.

Terminal cleanup fisheries should be done with caution, especially when were talking about unleashing the power of the area B seine fleet and area E gill net fishery.

Seriously folks?!
Biotic potential.

I don't agree with your over spawning theory GS, but from all observational accounts from people on the Nanaimo River, it's no where close to having an over abundance of Chum. This is as Whitebuck points out, just a DFO fishery for dog food and roe for Asia. Shouldn't be happening! Economic and Environmental benefit of having a few more Chum spawn in the river far outweighs the value in this fishery. Imagine a bit more nutrient loading from Chum carcasses and spawn building healthier Coho, Chinook and Steelhead populations in the river. This would be a better economic and environmental benefit to both the commercial and sportfishing sectors, than a dog food fishery is!

I am not saying this specific fishery is good or bad.
I do not have the necessary data to make that call.
I am merely suggesting that you may not have that data either and to call for a prohibition for what I am assuming is a terminal fishery would be premature.

I am not saying this specific fishery is good or bad.
I do not have the necessary data to make that call.
I am merely suggesting that you may not have that data either and to call for a prohibition for what I am assuming is a terminal fishery would be premature.
GS, I have little faith in DFO science making a determination on river a surplus of spawners. The DFO stock assessment budget has never been at lower level than it is currently. They're making decisions based on best guess estimates! They fail to recognize the value of Chum to overall river ecosystem health. Its time we as sport anglers started raising this issue with our MP's and DFO representatives more vocally!

Back