Seiners at the South Arm

sir-vivor

Just wondering .... Are the Seiners fishing the entrance to the South Arm of the Fraser ??

If so aren't they going to scoop up a ton of Harrison Springs that are there ??

Isn't the DFO shutting down areas to conserve the Chinook (Spring) runs for that special pod of 71 Orcas ??

Isn't the Harrison run just arriving and in "Diure Staits" itself ??

I know for a fact the Sockeye are 100 or more feet deep out there and the Harrison Chinooks are above 60 feet and this would mean the seine catch should be killing far more Chinooks then Sockeye .

The Seiners are suppose to be targeting Sockeye, right ?

WTF, I'm not a Biologist but whats going on ?

I hope I'm wrong but please someone , explain to me what I'm missing

Pretty sure they would be brailing the net.
They do not ramp seine nets any more.
Not sure if they have to return all springs and steelhead.

Just wondering .... Are the Seiners fishing the entrance to the South Arm of the Fraser ??

If so aren't they going to scoop up a ton of Harrison Springs that are there ??

Isn't the DFO shutting down areas to conserve the Chinook (Spring) runs for that special pod of 71 Orcas ??

Isn't the Harrison run just arriving and in "Diure Staits" itself ??

I know for a fact the Sockeye are 100 or more feet deep out there and the Harrison Chinooks are above 60 feet and this would mean the seine catch should be killing far more Chinooks then Sockeye .

The Seiners are suppose to be targeting Sockeye, right ?

WTF, I'm not a Biologist but whats going on ?

I hope I'm wrong but please someone , explain to me what I'm missing

yes sir

https://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=213430&ID=all

The target species in this fishery is Sockeye salmon; fishers are requested to release any hatchery marked sockeye as these fish are hatchery raised sockeye and part of a recovery program designed to increase the numbers of Cultus Lake sockeye. The incidental catch of Pink and Chum salmon may be retained in the Areas open to fishing. There will be non-retention of Coho, Chinook and Steelhead. This fishery has been designed to address stocks of concern constraints.

Not sure what shape the Chinook, Coho Steelhead and marked sockeye they scoop up would be in by the time they are released, but they are supposed to release them.

Word thru the grapevine is one seiner had 30,000 sockeye in one set today.

That’s going to take awhile to Brail at 150-200 fish at a time.

Need a few other boats on the cork line to avoid sinking.

Last edited:
All three species (chinook, coho, steelhead) are put in the revival tanks if we encounter them. There are 4 DFO observers on random boats to keep track of encounters. Hail out before you Fish. Hail in before you unload. DFO observer at every offload counting all species. Logbook kept on every vessel recording every set and every fish.

Huge fishing for the fleet here today. And yes there were boats with sets up to 20,000 pieces.

All three species (chinook, coho, steelhead) are put in the revival tanks if we encounter them. There are 4 DFO observers on random boats to keep track of encounters. Hail out before you Fish. Hail in before you unload. DFO observer at every offload counting all species. Logbook kept on every vessel recording every set and every fish.

Huge fishing for the fleet here today. And yes there were boats with sets up to 20,000 pieces.

Get your quota done or back out tomorrow?

Fraser Sockeye = DFO abandons conservation of all other stocks. Happens every four years, is disgusting and indefensible, is hypocritical given all the SRKW area closures to protect orca access to weak stocks of chinook being hammered by all fishing sectors, but it is what it is and hell will freeze before it changes.

Cheers!

Ukee

Fraser Sockeye = DFO abandons conservation of all other stocks. Happens every four years, is disgusting and indefensible, is hypocritical given all the SRKW area closures to protect orca access to weak stocks of chinook being hammered by all fishing sectors, but it is what it is and hell will freeze before it changes.

Cheers!

Ukee

What part of we revive and release all chinook did you miss. Kind of a funny comment when catch and release is rampant in other fisheries.

What part of we revive and release all chinook did you miss. Kind of a funny comment when catch and release is rampant in other fisheries.

These fish should of been caught north of Johnston strait in area b seine territory. Would of effected a lot less at risk stocks and the fish would of been Johnston straight quality
Not half green and red.

This is about DFO mismanagement don’t take it personally.

There has been more destructive gill net fisheries this year but outside the ifs coho, steelhead and Harrison window.

No doubt this is the lesser of the evils of these fish were caught in gilnet fisheries in the Fraser right now that would not look pretty.

Last edited:

I included all fisheries not just commercial in my comment. Some releases are successful, but not out of gill nets and not aout of the bottom of a 20000 piece set either. You’ve been in the business long enough you know there is direct and indirect/post-release mortality in even the lowest impact fisheries, like seine and brail, and near total death in set gill nets and the rec “snag it thenbeach your fish” fisheries.

Cheers!

Ukee

5 strips of 100 meshes plus a few feet of cork and lead border. I think a mesh is 2.75 inches. They have a bag shape rather than a wall, so I'm going to guess the fish below 80 feet go under it.
Plus the fish aren't necessarily swimming in one direction in the Gulf, so some are probably running into the outside of the net.
They won't get them all. I'm thinking about reverse mothballing and doing another trip on Sunday.

5 strips of 100 meshes plus a few feet of cork and lead border. I think a mesh is 2.75 inches. They have a bag shape rather than a wall, so I'm going to guess the fish below 80 feet go under it.
Plus the fish aren't necessarily swimming in one direction in the Gulf, so some are probably running into the outside of the net.
They won't get them all. I'm thinking about reverse mothballing and doing another trip on Sunday.
Thanks, finally, never really knew exactly

These fish should of been caught north of Johnston strait in area b seine territory. Would of effected a lot less at risk stocks and the fish would of been Johnston straight quality
Not half green and red.

This is about DFO mismanagement don’t take it personally.

There has been more destructive gill net fisheries this year but outside the ifs coho, steelhead and Harrison window.

No doubt this is the lesser of the evils of these fish were caught in gilnet fisheries in the Fraser right now that would not look pretty.

Not much can be done when 80-90% of the run goes down the west side. We used to fish sanjuan but I doubt we will ever see that area again with all the political BS going on these days. I
I included all fisheries not just commercial in my comment. Some releases are successful, but not out of gill nets and not aout of the bottom of a 20000 piece set either. You’ve been in the business long enough you know there is direct and indirect/post-release mortality in even the lowest impact fisheries, like seine and brail, and near total death in set gill nets and the rec “snag it thenbeach your fish” fisheries.

Cheers!

Ukee

Tough to not be defensive when posting here but I figure it’s better to be as transparent as possible. The boat that fished for our company yesterday unloaded 70,000 lbs this morning and there was 1 jack spring in the bycatch tote. I spoke to him on the dock and he said they released 4 coho yesterday. So pretty clean fishing in front of the river.

Not much can be done when 80-90% of the run goes down the west side. We used to fish sanjuan but I doubt we will ever see that area again with all the political BS going on these days. I

Tough to not be defensive when posting here but I figure it’s better to be as transparent as possible. The boat that fished for our company yesterday unloaded 70,000 lbs this morning and there was 1 jack spring in the bycatch tote. I spoke to him on the dock and he said they released 4 coho yesterday. So pretty clean fishing in front of the river.

Yeah they tend to hang out in different areas, coho and chinook tend to be in 150 to 300 feet of water. Sockeye can be all over. Atlest that’s my fishing experience

So if they were seining in 300+ feet deep of water would probably be less by catch.

I’d imagine tho come October this seine fishery won’t be without controversy among a lot of the different sectors.

IF the observer boats were as clean as yours it will be all good.

This was always the case.

Claims that Chinook always die in sockeye gillnets.
If using a proper sockeye gillnet, mesh size around 5 1/4 to 5 1/2 inch, you will not gill chinook.
You will not gill any salmon over 8 pounds.
You might tooth hook them, they survive really well when tooth hooked, the strand breaks and they swim away.

I gilnetted for decades in the Fraser, from the flats out front up to Alex Fraser Bridge.
Had a standing invitation to Greenpeace and whoever else wanted to observe the fishery and how clean it is.
Never had a taker.

Back