Seastar kicker tie bar-----day to day operation?

Sharphooks

I'm in the process of installing a new tie bar....last one warped and ended up binding in the tilt tube of my main engine

I heard these things fail not just because of lube issues....they fail (bending the stainless steel rod that connects to the main outboard) when the kicker is in tilted up/hard over (hard over to port probably the worst) position

So the question is: how to make sure this doesn't happen again? Leaving the tie bar unclipped to the main engine seems unrealistic. Once the boat is in the water it becomes dangerous to go out on the transom and attach the tie bar. Also, One would definitely run the risk of losing those expensive stainless Steel Clips

Any suggestions on this from guys who have this installation? I don't think mine is unique...a 15 Hp Honda on a fixed bracket; nothing out of the ordinary that would place lots of strain on the tie bar...but apparently, it does and the result is a bent tie bar which results in an inoperable system

Thanks for comments on guys that have been through this drill with tie bar replacement

Seastar makes a kit to eliminate the weak thin stainless rod and cable. It is a solid heavy rod that connects directly from main to kicker. Much better design.

When trailering I was told to turn the engines so that the small stainless rod on the main engine tilt tube is completely inside the tube - at least as far as it will retract. That leaves the kicker tilt tube rod which is much more substantial exposed. I did 1 more alteration that is up to you to consider. There is a pin that goes through a fitting and then the small diameter ss rod near the end at the main tilt tube. I took a bit and SLIGHTLY enlarged the hole in the rod itself not the fitting. It allows some play when the rod goes in and out and eliminates a lot of the binding. I have had no other problems other than making sure the kicker tilt tube is well greased

Back