SeaStar Kicker Steering

TipUp

I'm looking at getting the SeaStar steering with my new yamaha 9.9 and want to know if it works on the starboard side of the boat or only the port side. I was trying to find some info or pics of people with it mounted on the starboard side but I couldn't find anything. I currently have SeaStar linked up to my yamaha 300 and it is compatible with the kicker steering just couldn't find if it can be mounted on the starboard side. Any info would be great.

What did you end up picking up for a kicker? Not sure what your asking, do you want to add a hydraulic cylinder on the kicker as well?

Great local Canadian company with some well made and designed marine products. Their staff are knowledgeable and helpful too. All it took was one phone call and they stepped up and supported the Sooke Chinook Sea Pen project with a donation of a complete hydraulic steering system to the Oak Bay Marine Group Juan De Fuca Fishing Tournament. The conversation went we are a Canadian company and we should be supporting this effort....great attitude!

What did you end up picking up for a kicker? Not sure what your asking, do you want to add a hydraulic cylinder on the kicker as well?

Ended up getting a new Yamaha. I called around but couldn't find any year old stock. That link to the seastar kicker steering is what I am looking at. I've decided to mount it on the starboard side to keep the path clear from the transom door.

I just had one of those installed from my Yammi 300 to my Yammi 9.9 HT. They work great, and my kicker is on the Port side. It’s a very slick system.
If your helm is on the Starboard side, I think you’d want the kicker on the Port side from a balance perspective.
I’m sure you can rig it on either side though, pretty well 100% certain, but would need to look at it again at the marina.

I just had one of those installed from my Yammi 300 to my Yammi 9.9 HT. They work great, and my kicker is on the Port side. It’s a very slick system.
If your helm is on the Starboard side, I think you’d want the kicker on the Port side from a balance perspective.
I’m sure you can rig it on either side though, pretty well 100% certain, but would need to look at it again at the marina.

That's good to hear everything worked well with the install. I understand the weight balance issue of having it on the starboard side but I never fish alone and I don't want to block the transom door on the port side. Do you have any pics of your setup?

Make sure you remove the stainless push rod from the tilt tube on the yamaha kicker and grease it often. I did not do this and it seized up. I found out it was stuck when I slid off the trailer into the water and could not steer. I had to force it which bent the small ss rod at the main motor. $200 to fix. The tilt tube on the kicker is pot metal not stainless and it rusts quickly in salt water. They even recommend removing the push rod from the tube when storing the boat.

Make sure you remove the stainless push rod from the tilt tube on the yamaha kicker and grease it often. I did not do this and it seized up. I found out it was stuck when I slid off the trailer into the water and could not steer. I had to force it which bent the small ss rod at the main motor. $200 to fix. The tilt tube on the kicker is pot metal not stainless and it rusts quickly in salt water. They even recommend removing the push rod from the tube when storing the boat.

I've had the system for 6 years on my boat. Did the same thing year 2. Lube it well and turn the wheel during the off season regularly. Other than this issue it works very fantastic. Remote steer, lift and start the kicker without every worrying about connecting a bar or bending over the stern. Its like running my main.. Mines a port side mount and all I have seen seem to be this way.

View media item 508
I have my mounted on the starboard side and it works fine. I also have a transom door on the port side. Been two years now and I love it. I'll try and get a pic for you...

Last edited:
Thanks for posting a pic Elnino54 but the link isn’t working for me? Is anyone else able to view the picture? Id really like to see it mounted on the starboard side...

Thanks Elnino54! Great to see a setup with this system on the Starboard side. That’s the route we’ll take, it should work well.

Do you happen to have a “T” off your fuel water separator for the kicker/main fuel supply? That’s the next hurdle.

Thanks!

This just happened to me today. Got off the trailer, fired up the main, frozen steering and almost hit the dock. When I forced the steering it also bent that stainless rod that attaches to the main. I'm hoping i'll be able to straighten it but in the meantime , does anybody have a suggestion on how to free up the frozen stainless rod in the tilt tube of the kicker? Not excited about getting boat back on a trailer: was hoping to free up the frozen rod while the boats in the water? Thanks for any suggestions

Back