SeaStar Kicker Cable Tie Bar

I put it on my boat last year. In a word, incredible. Total freedom. Not cheap, but, the risk of falling over the stern of your boat in rough seas hooking up a sold tie bar makes it all worth it. As long as you have an existing SeaStar system on your main, its fairly easy to hook up.

Ditto for me. I spent hundreds of dollers replacing broken and failed easy steer parts. I installed this last spring and it worked flawlessly all summer. I did have some difficulty finding the correct part to go on my yamaha 9.9 kicker. It does not come with the kit. It is well worth the $.

Awesome, Thanks for the feedback! One question I have is, when you trim the kicker up and out of the water does the kicker still turn when your turning the main?

yes. it turns unless you pull a pin at the main motor and disconnect the mechanical push pull operation. I never disconnect mine. They do recommend turning the motor over all the way when trailering to protect the smaller rod.
Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
As Civano states, yes it does. No big deal though. I don't find any added weight/stress turning the wheel for both engines. Lets face it, when you're on your main your not making wide turns until you come into port. The great thing is that the offset from your main to kicker isn't as big an issue as it is with traditional hardware connections. The range of mounting flexibility is greater. You'll wonder how you lived without it.

I opted for the liquid valve, so no tie bar at all and the ability to have just the main turn or both with the turn of a lever.

Parts only. I had to pay another $ 400 for installation. I didn't want to take a chance trying to install in myself.

Installation Note:
Kicker Cable Tie Bar systems require a minimum clearance of 14 " from the end of the tilt tube towards the motor side well or gunnel

44, curious if the sea star kicker steering worked ? my measurement is 12" tube on main to well , or is it the tube on the kicker which would'nt come into play if it is on an offset bracket ? Thanks

Hey Gents

I graduated from Seastar Kicker Tie Bar high school so I can (yes, not a common thing for me), speak with some degree of authority on these things...

1)) They are easy to install as long as the tilt tubes in both the kicker and main are rust free and easy to get to
2) Critical part of the DYI: make sure that if you have a bundle of steering and shift cables and tank hose, that it is held in the proper orientation (either port or starboard of the kicker depending on your off-set etc. ) and once you’ve decided where they coil, make sure THE KICKER TURNS BACK AND FORTH ATTACHED TO THE MAIN OUTBOARD FREELY WITH ZERO BINDING
3) Yes, you can leave the kicker attached and in fully tilted up position when underway or when motoring around a dock but I am here to tell you that there are lots of stories of bent tie rods from people doing exactly that.
4). My recommendation (FWIW): any time you’re at the dock or coming on and off a trailer and need to make sharp turns in a tight location, lower the kicker a bit, even all the way down so you don’t stress that tie bar—-it’s the hard-over angle of the dangle port to starboard and back again that will kill those bars

Again, that was FWIW. I burned through two tie bars and heard the stories of bent bars on the interweb and saw the pictures. On my third one, I saw where the main stress occurred and I wanted a work-around to make sure that bar stayed straight and true, especially when I was in the middle of nowhere and could not afford to compromise that connection

Yes, they’re expensive but worse, when they bend they bind and you will lose steering with both outboards until you disconnect the bar from the main engine

Just to underscore that I’m not making this up, a guy at Seastar actually recommended that I disconnect the tie-bar when I’m running then get out on the swim step and re-connect when I wanted to start fishing (???? Wtf???)

‘Nuff said....

Last edited:
Back