Seal Bangers

sir-vivor

I heard yesterday (and it scared the crap out of me lol) someone throw out a Seal Banger .
To tell ya the truth after I heard it , never seen a seal all day , but then again they could just be full :)

Where do you get them from ?
Are they legal ?

You sure this post is not supose to be in the recipe,storage,preperation section of forum?
I heard yesterday (and it scared the crap out of me lol) someone throw out a Seal Banger .
To tell ya the truth after I heard it , never seen a seal all day , but then again they could just be full :)

Are they legal ?

Are they legal ?

They sell them at hunting/outdoor recreation/fishing stores etc.. There are the gun type which use a small blasting cap (like a nail gun) to launch the explosive before it explodes, or the pen launching type ones. You can also just get the explosive charge and put your own wick in it and light them that way but that's F'ing dangerous!

"Are they illegal"... well they aren't illegal per say but these days you might get some people calling Marine Animal Protection on you if they see you launching them at Seals. We saw them out at the Sand Heads actually on Monday cruising around in a zodiac.
It's a bit of a grey area I think as there was controversy a few months ago when a commie fisherman was using them and someone reported him. It was on the news.

I have the gun launching type and like it a lot. The explosive is very loud and be warned like you say it will scare people that are close by and not expecting it.
Essentially they are like a quarter stick of dynamite. They will do a lot of damage to whatever it is they explode by.

5100.jpg

4007146-NOC02.jpg

We used to call them Sea Lion Bombs back in the early 70's while commercial trolling. They were available at all the commercial gear stores, co-op etc. They had a 10-15 second waterproof fuse to make sure they sank deep enough and cleared the boat safely. Have you ever been underwater at the beach and hit 2 rocks together? The sound hurts your ears. Imagine what an explosion underwater would feel like. This is why they are so effective.

If you are going to flush it down a toilet at elementary school, do it when you are in Grade 3.
Police and Fire will not suspect the students in Grade 3.
They use to sell them to anyone! :eek:
So I have heard...

Prince Rupert Hotel, spring 1975. A seal lion bomb was dropped into the biffy in the lounge bathroom and blew it to smitherines. Did not need to flush, as soon as it tucks under the reverse part, run like hell. So I was told.

I
Prince Rupert Hotel, spring 1975. A seal lion bomb was dropped into the biffy in the lounge bathroom and blew it to smitherines. Did not need to flush, as soon as it tucks under the reverse part, run like hell. So I was told.
I was there for that, drunk, but I was there

They sell them at hunting/outdoor recreation/fishing stores etc.. There are the gun type which use a small blasting cap (like a nail gun) to launch the explosive before it explodes, or the pen launching type ones. You can also just get the explosive charge and put your own wick in it and light them that way but that's F'ing dangerous!

"Are they illegal"... well they aren't illegal per say but these days you might get some people calling Marine Animal Protection on you if they see you launching them at Seals. We saw them out at the Sand Heads actually on Monday cruising around in a zodiac.
It's a bit of a grey area I think as there was controversy a few months ago when a commie fisherman was using them and someone reported him. It was on the news.

I have the gun launching type and like it a lot. The explosive is very loud and be warned like you say it will scare people that are close by and not expecting it.
Essentially they are like a quarter stick of dynamite. They will do a lot of damage to whatever it is they explode by.

View attachment 47071

View attachment 47072

I thought these were anti prawn poaching devices....

I have used bottle rockets in the past.

Wasn't looking one year and bought the three stage versions.
Those buggers are dangerous, the wind can turn them in between stages and they head back at you!

Another lesson learned in the school of hard knocks and explosions.

I know, I am being that way. Are fireworks a flare and not to be discharged from a boat/vessel?Wouldn't want to play Peter Wolf.

Most flares are fireworks, but not all fireworks are flares.

You are not supposed to **** off the side of a boat either, but...

Back